Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FFVIII HD remake, things you'd like to see?

Irvine Kinneas Star Wars' Ganner Rhysode... shivering chicken-shot wanna-be ladie's-man, wiped out a thousand Yuuzhan Vong single-handedly (that's without the aid of Donald and Goofy, folks). Sure, he died at the end but he was boasting still.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Yeah, I thought it gave him a bit more character, because he does toughen up a bit afterwards. The bravado's still there but it's less cheesy and he loosens up after the assassination incident. He seems more charming and cheerful than lecherous and desperate... probably because he doesn't have a pending assassination and upcoming humiliation weighing on him.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Hint at the GF memory loss phenomenon so that plot twist doesn't seem like it comes out of left field.
    There is also an entry about "rumours about side effects of GF use" on your computer terminal at Balamb Garden at the start of the game. It basically tells you to not listen to people talking about these things.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I'm gonna go with "the hints should've been more explicit."

Think about it: you'd see the hint and so a more cynical player would assume there's gonna be an amnesia plot later on. The orphanage thing would've still floored pretty much everyone that way, but it wouldn't have pissed off anywhere near as many people.

They should definitely change the orphanage scene, dont just spring it on you, maybe put some references in Disc 1 perhaps?
    Also expand on the Laguna dream sequences, give him a boss or two?
    Make it harder to get the ultimate weapons, or at least make it so you cant get them without the corresponding magazines.
    Getting Lionhart on Disc 1 just makes it too easy

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Hint at the GF memory loss phenomenon so that plot twist doesn't seem like it comes out of left field.
    There is also an entry about "rumours about side effects of GF use" on your computer terminal at Balamb Garden at the start of the game. It basically tells you to not listen to people talking about these things.
    I already explained why I have a problem with that a couple of times in this forum. Long story short is that such an important part of the game should be shown to the player no matter what. I agree on making it subtle, but not optional.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The speech Irvine Kinneas gives on top of the clock to Squall is possibly one of the most apt references to assassins and snipers Square ever made. The fact that he essentially says "that with one shot hit or miss you'll go down in history" is so ridiculously true. If they ever did the remake I'd like to see this section on top of the clock expanded somewhat. Maybe even show in the FMV the visual through Irvine's scope as he's taking his aim, maybe put some visual effects such as colour blanching to show the encroaching panic attack.

Irvines weapons made me laugh though more, he's a sniper but he uses shotguns and repeaters in battle? I can get that he needs a closer range weapon but shotguns really are point and shoot nothing that requires aiming. If all his guns were clearly repeater rifles it'd be slightly better.

I would like

> A online option to play the Card Game and battle with people online with new cards created and new super rare cards that you can battle people online for and loose to somebody else.

> Different costumes that you can unlock. Not DLC like they did with Final Fantasy XIII-2 just unlock by doing mini-games through out the game that the characters can wear and everything.

Squall > Topless SeeD uniform, Dissidia Clothes, Amano Desigin.

Rinoa > Edea Dress, Ultimeca dress, anime maid costume, dog costume.

Selphie > Cowgirl costume, Musical pop star costume.

Zell > Sabin clothes, Tifa clothes, Hot- Dog suit, Monk FF1 costume.

Quistis > Bra + sexy underwear costume, swim-suit costume, SeeD dress.

Irvine > Selphie dress, Edgar costume, Zidane costume

Laguna > President clothes, Squall clothes.

> New Game +

> New Bosses that are harder than hard.

> Musical Jukebox player

> A dungeon where you can battle other Final Fantasy Villains DLC.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

MORE PUPU!!!! MOAR!!!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    I would like

> A online option to play the Card Game and battle with people online with new cards created and new super rare cards that you can battle people online for and loose to somebody else.

> Different costumes that you can unlock. Not DLC like they did with Final Fantasy XIII-2 just unlock by doing mini-games through out the game that the characters can wear and everything.

Squall > Topless SeeD uniform, Dissidia Clothes, Amano Desigin.

Rinoa > Edea Dress, Ultimeca dress, anime maid costume, dog costume.

Selphie > Cowgirl costume, Musical pop star costume.

Zell > Sabin clothes, Tifa clothes, Hot- Dog suit, Monk FF1 costume.

Quistis > Bra + sexy underwear costume, swim-suit costume, SeeD dress.

Irvine > Selphie dress, Edgar costume, Zidane costume

Laguna > President clothes, Squall clothes.

> New Game +

> New Bosses that are harder than hard.

> Musical Jukebox player

> A dungeon where you can battle other Final Fantasy Villains DLC.
    This sounds great. I would love if they expanded the garden. I loved just roaming around it. I'd be just happy with it in HD though.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

i want to walk around in my swagtastic SeeD outfit through the entirety of the game

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like the idea of alternate costumes for characters, anything to get Zell and Quistis out of their awful clothes. An HD remake probably wouldn't change the plot or add too much except maybe a new optional dungeon, but a more upscaled true remake could really tighten this game.

I would probably re-balance the Junction system and remove some of the more broken elements like changing some of the item modding results (make Tents give like 30 Curas instead of giving you Curagas) and maybe give the Mid and Late Magic mod abilities to later GFs. Limit the Limit Break system so it's no longer a crutch mechanic by perhaps making every use of the Limit force you to have less HP if you want to use it again in a round. So if you use a limit break when you are down to 200 health, you need to have less than 200 health to use it again in that round. Aura could be changes to basically allow your character to be in critical condition at higher health. Change the Boost system to something a little more fun than just playing a furious Red Light Green Light game of Track and Field.

I also agree that the Ragnarok dungeon should be changed to something less stupid and misplaced. The Deling Sewers also need to be made a little more interesting. I also would have liked to have utilized the trains on the Galbadia continent more. They are an interesting idea and should have been used more. The car vehicle should have been dropped cause it's pretty much useless. I agree with Jiro that the overworld map should have had more secret places and stuff. It's the most empty world out of the PS1 titles.

I honestly felt they could have done more with SeeD as well. I really would have liked to see what Xu and Nida could have done as senior SeeD officers. It would have been cool to be able to team up with them during the NORG Rebellion and the Garden Battle and watch them fight as temporary playable characters with perhaps their own unique GFs like Ramuh and Fenrir. I also feel it could have been interesting to have extra SeeD missions as sidequests, granted make them story based (none of this MMO collect x amount of y, or kill z amount of w enemies crap) or even pull a Xenoblade Chronicles and make rebuilding Trabia Garden a sidequest.

Story... I agree that the amnesia element hints should have been a little less hidden from the player, but I also feel the major thing that should have been built up better is the orphanage element. Actually have the characters have weird moments where they seem like they know each other more than they think they do and just have them explain it away as something else. I mean Squall does it for Ellone but no one else, even Irvine is pretty damn cryptic about it despite acting like he was being blatant about knowing everyone pretty well when he finally does the reveal. I think Irvine could have been really interesting if they had made him play up the whole "I know you" ploy, with him teasing the party about his knowledge of them from childhood. It would especially be interesting after Galbadia sides with the Sorceress cause then we could have added a stronger, maybe Irvine is a traitor ploy.

Give Ultimecia a proper backstory. For the love of god Squenix...

Actually give a better explanation for Time Compression, how did anyone know about it, what are the parameters for casting and why? Why does Ultimecia know this spell and why does she want to use it? It really just exists in the plot to create conflict but lacks any kind of context. While we're on this train of thought, how about the same with Ellone's power, it's really just a plot device as well with absolutely no explanation in-game or even in Ultimania materials.

More Laguna...

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Once again I agree with everything Wolf Kanno has said. Damn man, you have some great ideas there.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I like the idea of alternate costumes for characters, anything to get Zell and Quistis out of their awful clothes. An HD remake probably wouldn't change the plot or add too much except maybe a new optional dungeon, but a more upscaled true remake could really tighten this game.

I would probably re-balance the Junction system and remove some of the more broken elements like changing some of the item modding results (make Tents give like 30 Curas instead of giving you Curagas) and maybe give the Mid and Late Magic mod abilities to later GFs. Limit the Limit Break system so it's no longer a crutch mechanic by perhaps making every use of the Limit force you to have less HP if you want to use it again in a round. So if you use a limit break when you are down to 200 health, you need to have less than 200 health to use it again in that round. Aura could be changes to basically allow your character to be in critical condition at higher health. Change the Boost system to something a little more fun than just playing a furious Red Light Green Light game of Track and Field.

I also agree that the Ragnarok dungeon should be changed to something less stupid and misplaced. The Deling Sewers also need to be made a little more interesting. I also would have liked to have utilized the trains on the Galbadia continent more. They are an interesting idea and should have been used more. The car vehicle should have been dropped cause it's pretty much useless. I agree with Jiro that the overworld map should have had more secret places and stuff. It's the most empty world out of the PS1 titles.

I honestly felt they could have done more with SeeD as well. I really would have liked to see what Xu and Nida could have done as senior SeeD officers. It would have been cool to be able to team up with them during the NORG Rebellion and the Garden Battle and watch them fight as temporary playable characters with perhaps their own unique GFs like Ramuh and Fenrir. I also feel it could have been interesting to have extra SeeD missions as sidequests, granted make them story based (none of this MMO collect x amount of y, or kill z amount of w enemies crap) or even pull a Xenoblade Chronicles and make rebuilding Trabia Garden a sidequest.

Story... I agree that the amnesia element hints should have been a little less hidden from the player, but I also feel the major thing that should have been built up better is the orphanage element. Actually have the characters have weird moments where they seem like they know each other more than they think they do and just have them explain it away as something else. I mean Squall does it for Ellone but no one else, even Irvine is pretty damn cryptic about it despite acting like he was being blatant about knowing everyone pretty well when he finally does the reveal. I think Irvine could have been really interesting if they had made him play up the whole "I know you" ploy, with him teasing the party about his knowledge of them from childhood. It would especially be interesting after Galbadia sides with the Sorceress cause then we could have added a stronger, maybe Irvine is a traitor ploy.

Give Ultimecia a proper backstory. For the love of god Squenix...

Actually give a better explanation for Time Compression, how did anyone know about it, what are the parameters for casting and why? Why does Ultimecia know this spell and why does she want to use it? It really just exists in the plot to create conflict but lacks any kind of context. While we're on this train of thought, how about the same with Ellone's power, it's really just a plot device as well with absolutely no explanation in-game or even in Ultimania materials.

More Laguna...
    tl;dr: Make the game good.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They did hint to it. It's just that the hints they gave were subtle so that you notice them when you replay the game. Notice how Squall recognized Edea's name (he repeated it thoughtfully)? Notice how Irvine acted like he knew the others before he met them and then became subdued when it turned out he didn't? Notice how Irvine's excuse for shooting Edea made no sense? Notice how everyone just kind of...clicked? It was like they knew eachother.

If they had simply gone with;

"Hey, do I know you?"
    "No."
    "Oh Sorry."
    (Orphanage scene)
    "Hey, I DID know you!"
    "Really? Awesome!"

It would have ruined it. They foreshadowed it like the Sixth Sense, Final Destination 5, and other things. The foreshadowing works better in hindsight - when you already know the answer.

Note; I jumped on this reply so I don't know if anyone answered it better.