Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Convince me to play this game

Blog Entries

Default Convince me to play this game

I've tried and tried but, I can never get into it. A lot of people feel this is the best FF. So for those of you who do feel that way. Why? What makes it so great? Does it have any short comings? Anything you'd like to see changed or added?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

To be honest the second half of the game does kind of feel disjointed since it is more of a non linear experience and some dialogue is put over whoever is the party leader. That said I think the settings, characters, and soundtrack make this one of the top FF games.

Personally, it's not my favorite. I do love the game, though.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It has the most epic storyline of all FF, and the best music produced by Nobuo Uematsu. (Mitsuda's work in CT is still better, but FFVI is damn good for Uematsu).

Seriously, it's worth playing for the music alone.

Blog Entries

It has an opera house. It has a city of thieves. It has a train. I want to tell you about Figaro, but. I want to tell you about that thing that happens, but. At one point, this thing happens and there are some world-wide consequences. Really, this game does so many things that could keep you chugging through the story that it is ridiculous.

The biggest problem with this game, I am told, is the difficulty; by that, I mean it is easy. You do not really need to grind, you can probably get through areas unprepared, and the characters versatility is actually a damper since their combat value eventually get as bland as future Final Fantasy characters. Everyone mostly becomes able to do most of what you need.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

If you beat the whole game without dying with all your characters at lvl99 and everyone still alive, you get to watch a special sex video between terra and celes rendered in 1080p.

Don't bother looking online for the video, it deletes itself.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Articles
    Blog Entries

In FFVI, less is more. The relative simplicity but originality of the plot, characters, and character development system just works better than a lot of the needlessly complex later games. The game's plot implies a lot but leaves a lot of mystery. The characters are involved and interesting but not whiny and melodramatic. The combat and leveling leaves a lot of room for customization without having to micromanage. Basically, it's just a damn good, emotionally touching game that had a lot of novel ideas without a lot of bulltrout.

If you play it, I will give you two free official cornhole bags, Final Fantasy edition. Final Fantasy 6 is so great!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I'll give you the same motivation I gave myself when playing FFVI under similar circumstances, Bert: If you finish FFVI, you will have finished FFVI, and will not have it in the back of your head that you still haven't finished FFVI.

Seriously, the battle/level/magic system is decent although it turns out it's also rather overpowering, so if you do like I did at the very least you won't be struggling when you get to the final dungeon. In fact, I don't think I really struggled at all to win battles. While the music can be good, I found the midi music actually tended to put me off the game. It's a shame they didn't put the full orchestra versions into the re-releases of the game because it would be so, so much better that way. Regardless, putting the game on mute for most of it seemed to actually allow me to crash through it a lot easier.

When the World or Ruin kicks in, get the characters, beat the dragons, level up a bit (Cactuars + Hoovers will do, they will also give you enough gil to arm all your characters somewhat decently) and then do the dungeon. There's little else worth bothering with that I know about, and I don't feel that I missed out on anything special that I can't simply see on YouTube. Pretty sure I saw all Shadows' little inn things, too.

Don't bother getting all Gau's stuff, I only ever really used Brawler on him and he was always very effective with this, even at the higher levels.

I didn't really bother that much with the story in the end. I mean, I read all the lines, but it just never really got to me on any level. I felt some characters were well done, some not, but the story itself? Eh.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gam...-all-time.html

1ST ON THE LIST!!!

PLAY OR DIE!!!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

What formats is this game in again? I want to play it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I just downloaded it from the PlayStation Store.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't have a PS3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    I don't have a PS3.
    *snip*
    Just say emulate ~ WK
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would rather hear why you can't get into it, do you play it and then get bored somewhere? Or do you just dislike something about the game/characters/story?

There is no way I can explain why I like this game to you and not feel like a flowery fanboy. Play it cause it's the game that established part of the FF formula (plays with genres, a deep customization system, a nice cohesion of story, character, and music to make good cinematic story scenes) that the PS1 entries popularized. It's got a good story, and well done cast for it's technology, and I would argue it has the best dungeon design in the series, as well as one of the most well loved OST's in the series despite BoB's inferior sense of appreciation for fine music.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I do like the music of FFVI, just not in the cheap midi form that you get in the game. To say that it is one of the best ever FF soundtracks is one thing, to say the in-game music is one of the best ever is silly at best.