Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll keep an eye out tonight as well.

So maybe it's just too much Skyrim speaking, but I wonder if it's possible to mod the client side graphics with some high resolution textures and improved character models and so forth. I've got all my graphics settings for the game set to maximum quality - not a difficult thing to do for such an old game - and it would be neat to see some further improvement.
    Sig under construction.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

If you want a terrible patchwork of low res and high res textures, yes, it is fully possible.

If you want to replace every texture with high res textures to avoid that, you have about 10 GB of textures to find replacements for. Good luck!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post
    Not at all. It's still way too cutesy for my liking.
    Wrong answer.

Gotta say you're right about the increased xp - I just finished soloing to 30, and the previous two times I played I never made it that far at all, much less solo.

Now to start ranking up so I can get my airship pass, gain Bastok and Jeuno fame so I can do my gobbiebag and mog safe quests, and most importantly, unlock the advanced jobs.
    Sig under construction.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Don't forget getting started on abyssea content -- starting to accumulate traverser stones as soon as you hit 30 means you don't run out when you're high enough to need them.

Which will be sooner than you think.

Hey there! I really liked your detailed and thorough post which as a long time returning member I found incredibly useful. I'm still running updates to patch up the game to current so I won't be able to start a character until after work tonight but my brother and I are both anticipating jumping feet first back into vana'diel for a 3rd time haha. I was wondering if your linkshell is still actively recruiting members as I'd like to pick a linkshell before I pick a server and your information leads you to be the most convincing candidate for a proper home my brother and I are both looking for :P
    I don't have my old account information so I would be starting from scratch...again lol but I have a wealth of old world FF knowledge and hopefully wouldn't be a burden on anyone. I'll be checking this post throughout the day at work, really hope to hear from you!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

My LS is still quite active, yes.

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

I am starting this game in like a week. I've never played it and literally almost know nothing about it. But I've played every other Final Fantasy, so I figured it was fine time to pick up this gem. You have any tips or general information a new player would need to try and make his first character creation his permanent one?
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Do you mean like race/job selection?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Race doesn't matter. At all. It might affect your gear choices on some jobs, but that's about it.

Job also doesn't matter, because you can change it as often as you want limited only by your amount of inventory space available for gear.

Monk's a good starter job; see this thread

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Monk sucks! Go with Warrior!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Monks are awesome. The only not awesome part of it is that black belt costs a kidney, liver and half a lung. You can be an all right monk without that, though, but you'll probably constantly be like "man i wish i had a black belt". That is true for me, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni-Odin View Post
    I am starting this game in like a week. I've never played it and literally almost know nothing about it. But I've played every other Final Fantasy, so I figured it was fine time to pick up this gem. You have any tips or general information a new player would need to try and make his first character creation his permanent one?
    There is nothing you can do that would break your character forever, except creating a male elvaan because they are hideous, except the one that looks like Sean Connery. Other than that, no gear is permanent, no job is permanent, no nation is permanent, and there is nothing you can to that would make you unable to get any sort of significant item later in the game.

All races are "acceptable" for all jobs, even if some races are inarguably better than others for some jobs. However, because you can freely change jobs almost anytime, choosing your race for its performance in one single job is kind of a bad idea. The only significant difference between the races is the HP/MP of galkas and tarus. Galkas will have insanely much more HP than tarus, tarus will have insanely much more MP than galkas. All other stat differences between races are small enough for it to be possible for gear to make up for most of it.
    Last edited by Mirage; 01-14-2013 at 09:49 PM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Monks are awesome. The only not awesome part of it is that black belt costs a kidney, liver and half a lung. You can be an all right monk without that, though, but you'll probably constantly be like "man i wish i had a black belt". That is true for me, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni-Odin View Post
    There is nothing you can do that would break your character forever, except creating a male elvaan because they are hideous, except the one that looks like Sean Connery. Other than that, no gear is permanent, no job is permanent, no nation is permanent, and there is nothing you can to that would make you unable to get any sort of significant item later in the game.

All races are "acceptable" for all jobs, even if some races are inarguably better than others for some jobs. However, because you can freely change jobs almost anytime, choosing your race for its performance in one single job is kind of a bad idea. The only significant difference between the races is the HP/MP of galkas and tarus. Galkas will have insanely much more HP than tarus, tarus will have insanely much more MP than galkas. All other stat differences between races are small enough for it to be possible for gear to make up for most of it.
    QFT

And even the huge differences in HP/MP between Galka and Taru can be mitigated by gear/merits and by attentiveness and skill. As a Galka, I was as good a BLM as any Taru I knew, and a better WHM, and a totally kickass SMN, all of which require loads of MP.

FFXIV Character

Nibb Omniseer (Leviathan)

Saw it on steam and figured why not give it a try again? I used to play years ago, when it was first released, played for several years. Throughout the last couple years just hearing west ronfaure music brings back memories, so now I wanna give it a try again.

Quick question though, is there still a healthy amount of people? (I'd assume so since there is a new expansion soon) and is there an EoFF Linkshell going like back in the old days?

But there's so much to learn! I can't possibly get all of this straight within a month of playing!
    This is where I come in. I am a sackholder in an active and very helpful linkshell (on two different characters, so if I'm not in a party, even if I have GoV prowesses/chains built up, I can log over to the other, I can invite new people into the shell). As you have questions, you can simply ask the shell and usually at least 3 people will answer. Lost your old account or haven't played FFXI before? No problem, low level content is fun to us. When I created my 2nd character, I solo'd my way to 30 and did the subjob quest myself (it was easy) but you don't have to! The LS can take care of your SJ items, 50-60 caps, initial AF, testimony farming, and all that jazz. (Thinking about going Summoner? Consider your prime avatar fights done. WE don't have enough summoners in the shell). You'll be (back) to 75 in no time. Send me a /tell on Prothall or Profane on Shiva server and you'll be (back) into the swing of things faster than hell can scorch a feather.
    Maybe I should learn to read :P Heres a different question, do they take american express as a payment option now?

EDIT 2: Answered my own payment question, things are looking promising. Just wanna get in contact with some people to make sure people still play etc.
    Last edited by Khaotic; 03-15-2013 at 11:10 PM.