Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Game That Started It All

Blog Entries

First game I ever play was the original Zelda at my fathers house. Then when my mom got married my step father had a MacPlus and I played Sim City on that.

It'd be hard to pick a first for me. I'm one of those older generation gamers who started out on the Atari. It hadn't been my choice to pick up a game and try it 'cause it looked cool. It is possible though, that I picked out Crystalis at some point for the NES. I still have about 20-25 games for the NES (three copies of Mario Bros). My dad, my uncle, my mom, and I all used to take turns doubling on Twin Eagle. My dad beat it once or twice (I had been partnered up til near the end... then I died my last death and just watch him finish the game).
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    It's hard to talk about when I first became a gamer because I always have been one.
    This. But I remember, before I could understand how to play, I loved watching my dad play the early Legend of Zelda games (NES and SNES)

4444444444 4 4 444 44 4

Blog Entries

The very first video game I ever played was Super Mario Bros. followed by The Legend of Zelda and then a bunch of other NES games (lol StarTropics) and then some SNES stuff and then I moved on to the Genesis and had a pure awesomeness overload in my brain the first time I played Contra Hard Corps. I had some good times on the PlayStation after that and on the Game Boy, but I always kept going back to the older systems.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I...don't remember. I played games on ancient PCs at my mom's place of work at the time before the NES console truly exploded. All I knew at such a very young age that I loved interacting with a screen.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Pac Man for the Atari 2600.

It wasn't until adulthood that I heard it was the worst port of any game ever.
    I like Kung-Fu.

The first game I can remember clearly was, I think, Castles.

Followed closely by the original Master of Orion, and the Super Solvers edutainment games.

There's another game from the early floppy era that I can remember in bits and pieces, surprisingly detailed at times, in fact, but haven't ever been able to put a name to.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

In 1988 my dad brought home an NES and The Legend of Zelda. I watched him play though Zelda and then picked it up myself. I was five and I loved it - sometimes amazing people that I could beat the game when they as adults couldn't I also sporadically played Mario Bros. From there my life-long hobby expanded although I didn't get into RPGs until FFI in 1994. Dragon Warrior was my first RPG a few years earlier but it didn't draw me in as much. It was more of a different style of game to play.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered Dreamer View Post
    What game started it all? If I think back far enough there were 2. First Flimbo's quest on the C64. My older sister had a C64 which came with a cartridge that had 4 games on it.
    YES fellow C64 friend! The C64 was where I started as well.

Because of that I can make some educated guesses on what my first game was. It would've been something like Pac-Man, Dig-Dug, Donkey Kong, Pitstop (a racing game), Q*bert, Crystal Castles, maybe Gorf... one of the many arcade classics that was ported to C64.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Sonic, or maybe Double Dragon. I played a bunch of RPGs on the SNES too at one point, but don't remember much about them at all (in fact I have tried to track them down a few times here unsuccessfully). If we move further forward in time, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon. Those are the two I remember playing quite a bit, but by this time I would have already been "into" gaming, as such, so I don't know. Somewhere between Sonic and Spyro, I guess?

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

For me it was Mega Man 4. I remember the first time I beat Pharoh Man. I used to play R.C. Pro-Am all the time too. One of those two were my first games. My first RPG was Mystic Quest.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Tomb Raider II!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

aw yeah Jesswee gimme some TR love!

FFXIV Character