Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: God damn it, Deling City

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    I always found it hilarious that someone bothered program a way to make the missiles less accurate in the first place.
    I was under the impression that was done in real life: it's designed to make missiles "spray" over a wide area rather than hitting an exact spot.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    I always found it hilarious that someone bothered program a way to make the missiles less accurate in the first place.
    I was under the impression that was done in real life: it's designed to make missiles "spray" over a wide area rather than hitting an exact spot.
    Well, if that is true, that's a misleading terminology.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Spray ratio probably wouldn't make sense though.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well for a start with an artillery strike we would be discussing spread ratio or saturation ratios not "spray" Spread ratio would control the distance covered by the strike so the spread could be a 5km target surface area or a 100km area depending on how much spread you need. Saturation ratio is the intensity of the artillery strike, are you looking to suppress enemy troops with lightweight munitions or looking to literally reduce everything including the hills to nothing? Even with the accuracy ratio to maximum errors possible the missiles all strike home dead on target in the FMV. What I find weird is that they have individual on board targetting computers as witnessed by the mechanical eye on the missiles in the FMV the only thing what made them miss is the fact that Garden moved.

Yeah, the whole endeavour is pretty pointless. I wonder if Selphie ever sees the massive crater where Garden used to be and starts asking questions about how much she failed?

Blog Entries

Holy trout, I went to look at the onboard targeting thing Iceglow was talking about and came across this.

Was not aware that could happen.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Whoa, I didn't know that either. Crazy!

Wow, I saw no difference in my playthrough with the error ratio settings.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That game over fmv is unlocked if Squall fail's to get Garden moving before the time limit runs out I do believe.

Finding the White Seed Ship my very first time took me eternity!

Also, I hated the Galbadia D-District Prison. It was just chaos with battle after battle going up and down, back and forth all over the place, very annoying. It seems every FF game has some sort of scene like this where you are battling enemies endlessly with that "hurry" music blasting in your ear in the background.

And yes, the Deling City sewers were probably the worst.

Not enough side quests. There needed to be a lot more to do, particularly with the Chocobos. They might as well have just left them out of the game, at the rate FFVIII took it. I think FFIX had one of the absolute best Chocobo sidequests there was.

I thought Esthar City was pretty confusing and got lost the first time, but I didn't care. It was so amazing, awesome and grand, that I didn't mind getting lost and exploring the place over and over again.

But I could forgive all that. All of it if it wasn't for Mo Fo IRVINE!

I never liked the guy, ever, even when he changed and became a better member of the party. That guy just PEED me the fudge off. Never used him unless the game forced me to, at gunblade point.

Always sexually harassing the women of the party and acting tough, then nearly whimping out when we needed him most to kill the sorceress, then leaving us to be slaughtered and raped in the Galbadia D Prison.

Product of Galbadia Garden I guess.

...oh, that said. Don't get me wrong. FFVIII is my favorite of the series thus far.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

D-District Prison was a bit of a trout. The beginning of Disk 2 is not my favourite although the contrast between Laguna's self imposed mental prisons and Squall's physical one was quite well done.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

A real man never lost his direction.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This may seem ode for me to complain about, but I hate the way they made Ellone dress. They way the scarf thing is draped over her combined with her animation makes her look like an old lady. I get they were trying to make her a frail character that needed protection, but the old lady vibe I got was very distracting.
    It's something how different people can interpret things differently - I always felt that it made her look like a "magical fantasy" character in a sense - she still looked young enough dressed like that in my opinion, but she just looked "magical" in a sense. Like if she was part of the main team in a Final Fantasy game, she'd basically be the magical girl, who knows magic naturally and/or is the connection to some forgotten magical society, or something... Random, but it's something that people can get different vibes from the same thing.

On the topic of the thread; I do find it a shame in hindsight that chocobos aren't really relevant in this game - they have there moments, but by the time you get to them properly you already have a main vehicle, so there isn't that much to do with them, which isn't helped by this game being between FFVII and FFIX and both of which doing a lot more with chocobos, so they kind of took a break during FFVIII (Maybe Chocobo World was supposed to be FFVIII's main contribution with chocobos, but that may not exactly help, as not everybody could get a PocketStation...)
    Last edited by MJN SEIFER; 09-01-2023 at 07:51 PM.