Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: smurfing swearing

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I swear all the damn time. I don't see the problem with my swearing in most situations. Even at work I'll swear. When I am talking to a 20 something student about a pair of headphones when he's saying "Yo man I need some cans what are the literal trout man! They gotta pump the bass like nothing you ever smurfing heard!" I'm going to respond talking to him like he talks to me it's not because I found his approach rude he wasn't swearing at me he was being respectful there's worse things for someone to call you than man. Therefore when talking back to customers like that I'll swear not because I'm being offensive to them but because I'm like "hahaha so you want the good trout then eh? So what budget we talking dude? Money no object? Cool sweet lets sort you out with these babies, they'll pump bass so hard you're going to smurfing love it!" again I've not sworn at him I'm not being offensive and the rapport I've built means he's immediately keen to buy from me because I'm talking to him on his level and engaging him in the convo. Considering the cans I'll recommend him will cost in excess of £200 on average that's a valuable edge.

Though I can reign the swearing in when it's appropriate to do so. It's all about context if the person I am talking to is someone who swears and I can use the swear words without being overly offensive then I'm comfortable to swear.

Swearing in front of small children is something of a no-no, but otherwise anything goes.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

I don't swear normally but I have noticed a lot of people will swear in front of kids without realizing it.

Also old people. have some respect!

I swear like a smurfing sailor when I'm driving. Anyone who's ridden with me (which I don't think is anyone on this forum) will attest to that.

Apart from that I usually only swear for emphasis or out of frustration, or occasionally just involuntarily when I see the picture of someone really despicable like Dick Cheney. Apart from derogatory slurs I don't really see why anyone gets worked up about swear words. As long as they're not used to hurt, who gives a smurf.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I always think it's kind of cute when people apologize for swearing around me, because I'm a girl or whatever.

Like, I really don't care, but it's kind of cute.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I don't swear all too often. If I am getting frustrated at vidya games or something, I will tend to curse but aside from that... not really. I don't have a problem with swearing, or people swearing around me - I just don't do it, for whatever reason. Never felt a need to, I guess.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I always think it's kind of cute when people apologize for swearing around me, because I'm a girl or whatever.
    This reminds me of Cohen v. California, where the Supreme Court overturned a man's conviction for wearing a jacket that had "smurf the draft" on it to a courthouse. Justice Black, an otherwise fairly consistent free speech proponent, voted to uphold the conviction, allegedly because he was horrified that someone might use or display that word in public in front of his wife.

Oh sexism.

Blog Entries

My dad once told me that I remind him of a truck driver with the words that come out of my mouth.

Blog Entries

I really don't understand why anyone cares about swearing. If people didn't give it so much of a stigma, it would be meaningless. There's no inherent offensive property to the sequence of syllables that make up the word "mothersmurfer." People are offended by it because they choose to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post

Like, I really don't care, but it's kind of cute.
    I usually apologize when I swear in front of a woman I don't know, just to be polite. Southern manners and all.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

In the same sense that any words only have meaning because we construct meanings for them. So essentially you've just said 'language is a social construct'. Yup. The point of swear words is that they're supposed to be slightly taboo because that's what gives them impact. If 'smurf' didn't exist then we'd need another word to express our extreme discontent at something, or whatever else 'smurf' regularly substitutes. By this logic I am fine with swear words and can understand why they would elicit certain reactions.

I myself am a champ swearer. My favourite word is cunt.

Blog Entries

The more innocent an adult seems, the more I want to swear in front of them.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I hardly curse. ACTION is so much effective.