Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Dogs

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

:monster: Sleeping Dogs preorder stuff!

Having Squeenix liked on fb they show me STUFF. Looks like they are pushing the whole preorder thing for sleeping dogs.

Sleeping dogs is looking cooool

When will pre-orders for games be good? I don't care about an outfit, give me something cool like a new weapon that kills all, or s tank. I like tanks. GameStop has the right idea. I may actually pre-order this from them.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I took a look at a video of it online the other day and it got me excited. Looks like fun! I was a fan of the True Crime series which it was originally meant to be a part of but I think yeah, it'll be quite a nice little game.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Friend was over playing this at my place last night. It seemed pretty cool. If you liked any of the True Crime games then ride the goat past wander street and pick up a copy.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Sleeping Dogs

Why aren't you bumlords talking about this?

Sleeping Dogs is an open-world action game in the vein of GTA. It was originally True Crime 3 but Activision dropped it, and then Squeenix picked it up and over the course of this the name changed. True Crime was never very impressive to me but they've really shaped up here, because Sleeping Dogs is great.

You play as Wei Shen, an undercover cop on loan from the SFPD to the Hong Kong Police Force and all-around badass who is trying to infiltrate the Sun On Yee, a Triad gang of considerable power on the island. This of course gives you free license to get into all manner of shenanigans, most of which involve copious amounts of barefisted violence. Guns are pretty uncommon, I've not acquired one in about six hours of play and I don't mind that at all, because the hand-to-hand combat takes its cue from the Batman: Arkham series and does so very well. In fact much of the game is in one way or another inspired by other games, and it all blends together pretty damned well.

Also, of course, you're in Hong Kong, which is a pretty great setting for a game like this because giant dense urban places are awesome and I feel like I'm really there even though I've never been!

Oh and the soundtrack is great!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

There's a Gen Square Enix thread where it's being discussed?

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Mod fail.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I was reading up on this just the other day and was surprised and how cool this game sounded. I might have to check it out once the prices drop.

It's being advertised as a sandbox game ala GTA. For people who are playing it, how open is the game? How big does it feel?

Blog Entries

I've been watching/jumping in while my friend has been playing this. All I have to say is you're Jet Li. Who doesn't want to be a bad ass Jet Li?

EDIT: As I was typing this I was wondering why it wasn't in square gen. lulz maybe I should read threads.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

ashdbhjawkdbad;asd I HATE YOU ALL

Merged the threads. That's not a double post on Raist's part. Just act like my post is a regular post and not a stupid OP by a stupid guy with brain problems

To answer Raist's question though the game it is an open-world game where you can dick around in plenty of places, but it's not as big as a GTA. The island is actually pretty small and you can't go romping through the woods, but then why would a badass gangster be off hiking through the woods anyway. I don't personally feel anything is lost from this; the game was on a budget and they did a damned fine job with what they had to work with, and what is there is astoundingly detailed and well-realized. I'm certainly not feeling any constraint myself, though I've seen the occasional person who has more issue with it than me.
    Last edited by Madame Adequate; 08-22-2012 at 06:19 AM.

Blog Entries

yeah I noticed sometimes in police chases I'd be going through the same areas frequently. But I really didn't feel like it was a small city at all. Felt very full and vibrant. I like that you don't really get weapons besides ones that drop in fights. It makes going on random killing sprees much more fun when the cops come and you have to disarm one to get a gun before you get cuffed/shot

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

It probably makes it a little more realistic when you can't just have all these guns just lying around. I like the sound of what I'm hearing. Goddamn need a spare day.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Square just released a Sleeping Dogs demo for all systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Square
    The demo lets you jump right into the action for extensive hands-on time with Wei's bone-crunching martial arts skills as he chases down a rival gang member muscling-in on his Triad turf. Gameplay unfolds as Wei pursues his target through the vibrant, bustling Night Market - you'll need to vault across numerous stalls and packing crates, scale walls and leap from buildings before reaching its climax with a ruthless rooftop fight.

The demo continues with a sneak look at a later level, where gunplay is thrown into the mix as Wei takes on numerous opponents in a dock-side warehouse. You'll need to perform vaults from cover, which slows down time allowing for pin-point accuracy, as you track-down your target. We put together a little video to give you an idea of what's in store.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So yeah bombing around the city listening to Echo City and/or Pachelbel's Canon in D, diving from vehicle to vehicle, shooting people in slow-motion as you vault over stuff, and then getting horribly destroyed by a great many cops is pretty great.