Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FF Forum Wars, The Final Fantasy Olympics!

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

ZOMG! FF Forum Wars, The Final Fantasy Olympics!

Figured I'd start with my own idea, as I probably have it fleshed out the most in my head.

A lot of the events here go the way of cereal and get stale. The big probably is a lack of universal attention and a time over result fraction being too damn high. What I'm saying in math nerd is, bang for your buck. I love ya pr00t but the latest screen-name tourny is a great example, the thing has run on for so long, and now it's just running out of steam. It's hard to care about the same thing for so long.

The idea behind this event:
    Steve worded it in a way I really liked. Final Fantasies are great because of their large breadth of minigames. Think back throughout the series, chocbo racing, snow boarding, that submarine thing in VII, blitzball, etc. Minigames have always been a strong part of the Final Fantasy series. So, they'll be the key piece of this competition.

• A mini-game for each forum, not just Final Fantasy, but General Chat, Writer's Corner, everything... except Eyes On Each Other, that'd be a little inappropriate (DEBATE THE BESTTTT), will be prepared beforehand.
    • This preparation shall be done perhaps in the EC forum, that place is great of this sort of thing. Prepared is defined by done all the way down to the thread being typed up, and posted, so copy and paste is all that is necessary.
    • Once the preparations are complete, the competition starting announcement will be made. A enrollment thread will be made in each FF forum, with an overall roster and smack talk thread in General Final Fantasy. This will give a forum unifying feel and be able to try and get a lot of members involved. A thread in General Chat will be unnecessary, as the forums most active users, if they want to compete, I have faith they'll check the forum announcement.
    • Once rosters for each game is set, (FF's with 0 members are instantly disqualified, how could you be the best if you don't get a single member? Also these rosters do not have to be even, but a lack of members will give you a slight point handicap. Not enough to make it worth it, but some sort of help should be given.), the event's minigames will go up at lightning speed, 2 to 3 minigames a day. We're talking the FF Olympics here! Just like the real olympics, where basketball takes weeks for a medal and swimming does not, some events will require less attention than others, a drawing competition for example, may not be as taxing as a trivia competition. The Fantasy Blitzball will just require a single joining, and player pick. Each event will be worth a certain amount of points, a point total for each FF will be kept in the General FF forum.
    • After the last event is done which shouldn't take longer that a month or we are going too slow, there will be a "Final Boss Event".

Mini-Game List
    Wonder Square -
    Chatroom - Dokal (?)
    Eyes On Each Other
    General Chat
    The Lounge
    General Gaming

Relm's Studio - Draw Quina contest
    Writer's Corner -
    General FF - FF Trivia Tourny (?)
    General Square Enix -
    Kingdom Hearts -
    FFI -
    FFII -
    FFIII -
    FFIV -
    FFV -
    FFVI -
    FFVII -
    FFVIII - Triple Triad Tournament (?)
    FFIX - Jump Rope Competition (get the highest score in the jump rope Mini-game!) (?)
    FFX - Fantasy Blitzball (?)
    FFXI -
    FFXII -
    FFT -
    FFXIII -
    FFXIV -

Final Boss Event -

(Legend, strike through forum name means no event shall be done for that forum, (?) means event is not finalized or decided for that forum, (!) means event has been finals and agreed for that forum.)

Prizes?
    The event should have some prizes. The overall winning FF will be crowned king of the forum FF, not sure what else we can do about that. Maybe jokingly give the members of the winning team minor mod powers for a few days?
    Gold Medals should come with a reward I was thinking:
    For individual gold medals, a custom triple triad card based on that member.
    Colored Titles.
    More message space (not the 60k but I always felt slightly more message space for members should be able to be a reward)
    Any other ideas for prizes would be great.

For the record, this is the best event for us to do imo. It celebrates FF, and can have other events morphed into it as a smurfing super event.
    Last edited by Goldenboko; 08-26-2012 at 02:38 PM.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Wonder Square -
    Chatroom - Dokal (?)
    Eyes On Each Other
    General Chat -
    The Lounge -
    General Gaming - pong tournament
    Relm's Studio - draw quina contest?
    Writer's Corner - poetry contest?
    General FF - FF Trivia Tourny (?)
    General Square Enix - critical rant contest
    Kingdom Hearts -
    FFI -
    FFII -
    FFIII -
    FFIV -
    FFV -

FFVI -

Coin Flip- Free online flash game

FFVII - snowboarding

Snowboarding Flash Game - Sports Games - FlashRolls.com

FFVIII - Triple Triad Tournament
    FFIX - Jump Rope Competition (get the highest score in the jump rope Mini-game!) (?)

Play game Jumping Rope Flash online free games at Y8.com

FFXI -
    FFXII - fishing

River Fishing: Mountain Fresh - Play River Fishing: Mountain Fresh Online

FFT -

i dunno kung fu chess?
    Home Page

FFXIII -

slots?
    Play Connect the Slots, a free online game on Kongregate

FFXIV -

for most of those peopel just take a picture of their biggest score so it's pretty easy to figure out the winner. except for tempest chess, which would need to be another round robin thing.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I really like this idea, but I'm a bit tired and slow at the moment so forgive me if I or my questions sound idiotic.

You want one mini-game for each forum or multiple? I can see games in the game forums being pretty popular if this is for the 25th anniversary, but games in GC, The Lounge, etc. seem a bit tacky to me. If the idea is to garner attention to the games and to the whole reason this site was established, strictly FF forum games seem like the way to go to me. It's also a good way to up the activity in those forums too. The other forums get enough traffic as it is.

But back to the multiple games bit. I see your dilemma, people do get bored of events that tend to stretch on, which is why I think that turning these Olympics into a month long event might be pushing it. I would say maybe two weeks at the most, but this is just my opinion. I really dig the idea and I'm on board with this, brudda! I'll try to think of some ideas later, but right now I'm beat and I need to get some shut-eye.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Hopped on a computer to be able to make an actual post. smurf mobile web browsing.

I said a month thinking of the entire time it'd take to fully run the event. I figured we'd need ~5 days for signups, which is almost a week right there. Then I figured like the actual Olympics, all of the minigames would be released one after another, in rapid succession, but not simultaneously. In FF's, KH, and General FF/Square, we have around 17 forums. That would mean an game a day would take 17 days for releases. Figured small buffer of 2 days between last event and final boss event, and final boss event taking around 3 days, the event will take ~25 days, which is where I got my round estimate of about a month.

In order for this event to work, we need minigames for at least all the FF's. This is what we have so far guys.

FFI -
    FFII -
    FFIII -
    FFIV -
    FFV -
    FFVI -
    FFVII -
    FFXI -
    FFXII -
    FFT -
    FFXIII -
    FFXIV -
    Last edited by Goldenboko; 08-26-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

still working on this, we need to have this finished by either tuesday or wednesday guys! Some ideas I got.

FFI - FFI, speed-playthrough
    FFII -
    FFIII -
    FFIV - Name that FFIV song! (Music Trivia)
    FFV - Gogo, Gogo, go, Gogo (Weapon Trivia, Weapon Locations, Abilties, etc.)
    FFVI -
    FFVII -
    FFXI -
    FFXII -
    FFT -
    FFXIII -
    FFXIV -

Articles
    Blog Entries

all i can think of is the flash games idea from my last post. i guess it's pretty close to the monthly gaming challenge, but it's not games really so much as game concepts. anyway my additions in italics

FFII -
    FFIII -
    FFV - Gogo, Gogo, go, Gogo (Weapon Trivia, Weapon Locations, Abilties, etc.) Is this meant to be for FF6? Gogo? I guess we could play Go! too.
    FFVI - Opera Singing competition ?
    FFVII - Flash Snowboarding game competition ?
    FFVIII - Triple Triad Tournament (?) - This is pretty much good to go as Steve did all the stuff for it in the other thread, didn't he?
    FFIX - Jump Rope Competition (get the highest score in the jump rope Mini-game!) (?) Would this be via a flash game or something? I don't want people to have to download the ISO or something to play this competition in case they don't have the game.
    FFXI -
    FFXII - Flash Fishing game competition ?
    FFT - Checkers competition?
    FFXIII - Flash Slots?
    FFXIV -

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think trying to keep it accurate to the games and less of flash is important, an FF competition should be won by the team best at FF's, imo.

Articles
    Blog Entries

yah fair enough. would people be taking pictures to show their scores in some of the games then? ie for the jump rope

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah that's what I figured, unless someone emulates.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We are down to the last 24 hours on this what we need to do is decide if we've bitten off more than we can chew with the initial idea (cool as it is) and if we have we need to polish our ideas that will work in to a workable event. If we think we've got something we could pull together and hammer out then lets get in to chat and make a room to hammer it all together properly.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Our idea is definitely workable, of anything we might have hit the not enough time to start over point. All we need is a few mini game ideas with 6 members it shouldn't be difficult.

Krissy, yes that was suppose to be for VI. I have a good idea for V still though. Costume making/drawing contest for the game's classes!
    2,3,11,12,14 still need ideas.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Pulling these ideas together, added on multiple ideas in places.

FFII -
    FFIII -
    FFV - Costume Design, design a class costume competition
    FFVI - Gogo, Gogo, go, Gogo (Weapon Trivia, Weapon Locations, Abilties, etc.)/Opera Singing competition
    FFVII - Flash Snowboarding game competition ? I have a good idea for this one. Gold Saucer Minigames, the team with the best Gold Saucer scores wins this minigame.
    FFIX - Jump Rope Competition (get the highest score in the jump rope Mini-game!)
    FFX - Fantasy Blitzball/Chocobo Racing Time Trials
    FFXI - Level 1 Death Run Race
    FFXII - Who's that Esper - Pretty much exactly like who's that Pokemon.
    FFT -
    FFXIII -
    FFXIV -

6 games with no ideas so far. I might defer to some people who's played them so I might go ask BoB or Del for ideas for XI and XIV. Once we get these last few minigame ideas, we just need point values for them and the event is ready.
    Last edited by Goldenboko; 08-27-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Talked to Del

In FFXI we used to do level 1 death runs. You get a level 1 character and race from one end of the world to the other. Can't use any tools or transportation methods other than footwork. It's a lot of fun, can include as many players as you want, and doesn't require you to be a high level in the game.
    Sounds good, adding it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Going ahead and adding a minigame to each so we'll at least be ready - more discussion about them can be done games aren't permanent just making sure we are ready to move on no matter what.

FFII - Most unforunate way to die, come up with more unfortunate deaths then FFII did, best death wins.
    FFIII - Class jingle - Make a song that contains all of the class names of this game, best wins.
    FFV - Costume Design, design a class costume competition
    FFVI - Gogo, Gogo, go, Gogo (Weapon Trivia, Weapon Locations, Abilties, etc.)/Opera Singing competition
    FFVII - Gold Saucer Minigames, the team with the best Gold Saucer scores wins this minigame.
    FFIX - Jump Rope Competition (get the highest score in the jump rope Mini-game!)
    FFX - Fantasy Blitzball/Chocobo Racing Time Trials
    FFXI - Level 1 Death Run Race
    FFXII - Who's that Esper - Pretty much exactly like who's that Pokemon.
    FFT - Chess Tournament (best suggestion so far )
    FFXIII - FFXIII Pop-Star! Karoke contest!
    FFXIV - I got nothin'.

Articles
    Blog Entries

ffxiv - grinding competition: you have to grind against something on a webcam