Thread: Furries are nasty. That's why I'll never watch Disney's Robin Hood every again.

Default Furries are nasty. That's why I'll never watch Disney's Robin Hood every again.

So I've been waiting on Dust: An Elysian Tail for years... quite literally. When it showed up at some games show (I think E3) in '08 or '09, I thought it was absolutely gorgeous and seemed to have a play style similar to Muramasa. I didn't hear about it for a long time after and assumed that it was vaporware.

I was happy when it finally showed back up and seemed to have far more depth than I'd initially assumed on top of the beautiful art. However, it wasn't until very recently after 4-5 years of excitement that I found out the game had a dark secret. It's a flippin' furry game. Reviews are stellar. Most of them say the game single-handedly saved this years summer of arcade. But I can't play this crap. Did you know that there are people out there who find anthropomorphic animals sexually attractive. Sure, they are a minority and I don't find don't really find the animals attractive, but the fact that they exist means I can't possible play this game.

Okay seriously, the backlash against the furry thing is driving me bonkers. I just don't get it. When did this happen? When did it suddenly become not okay for us to enjoy things with anthro animals? I mean, we grew up watching Disney movies, and Don Bluth movies, and Rescue Rangers, and Tiny Toons, and a dozen other things. We played games like Crash Bandicoot, and Donkey Kong Country and Ratchet & Clank, and Star Fox. But now, suddenly something is different. There is a furry subculture and because of them, suddenly we can't enjoy games (or maybe even movies) with anthro animals?

I don't get the furry thing, but I don't care if people are furries. If they like it, that's fine and it's none of my business and it really just doesn't affect me. There are people who like to see when sit on and pop balloons. They get sexual gratification from the. I still like balloons. Balloons are not forever ruined for me because of this fact.

Why are people so immature that they can't handle a game with anthropomorphic animal characters? I think they doth protest too much. I mean, seriously, it's like Ted Haggard and others on the far right who rail against homosexuality. It makes me wonder about them. Are these people finding these cat people or whatever sexually attracted and then realizing that potentially puts them in that marginalized category so they have to yell at the top of their lungs how gross it is so that nobody suspects them?

It's a video game. There are far more questionable things in video games. If I were the type of person who got embarrassed when someone walked in on a particularly hard to contextualize thing in a video game, there are definitely other games that provide things I would have a harder time justifying than if they walked in to a game where there was a talking rabbit or something.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't care if a game stars anthropomorphic animals or not. If a game is fun to play, I will play it regardless of the fact. Also, I want to say that I'm fully unaware that there is a backlash against games of this kind so I'm at a complete lost upon hearing about this. Care to point out where you heard about this?

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I don't tend to worry about what other people think in terms of making vague connections to a certain fandom. I just like to play what it fun. If other people have a problem, I'm sure they'll make a TL;DR entry at Encyclopedia Dramatica overblowing something while simultaneously only succeeding in making whatever they are complaining about more popular.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I liked anthro animals before it was cool to like anthro animals.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I really don't give a trout if something is furry or not.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Wait, I'm confused. At first you're saying you can't play this game, and then you're saying you don't care?

also, Bad Dragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    Wait, I'm confused. At first you're saying you can't play this game, and then you're saying you don't care?
    The first part was satire.

And I definitely agree with you, Yearg. Regardless of the reason, it shouldn't matter who else likes or doesn't like a game. People should just play what they like. Not caring for more cartoonish animal characters is perfectly fine, but that shouldn't be based exclusively on the fact that other people do like it -- and not at all on the game itself. I'm sure furries like stuffed animals too; are they suddenly gross? I suppose ostracizing furries and everything they like is now the cool thing to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Proto View Post
    I want to say that I'm fully unaware that there is a backlash against games of this kind so I'm at a complete lost upon hearing about this. Care to point out where you heard about this?
    Pretty much every place that I've looked where there has been video of the game, especially leading up to its release. Youtube obviously, but also lots of gaming sites. The GiantBomb quicklook was flooded with comments where a good number of people said things like, "I was interested in this game but I can't support furries." Various other forums where the game has been discussed brought this up. On the GiantBomb Cast they were so shocked by the backlash they actually spent a bit of time talking about it and telling people to grow up.

Perhaps it's just an insecure, vocal minority, but it seems to pop up any place I've looked for coverage. Luckily, my point of view (and it looks like the general EoFF PoV) is also well represented.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Yearg
    Youtube obviously...
    Well there's one of the problems.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Oh wow, you mean it actually finally got finished and released!?!?? I'll have to check it out if I ever hook my 360 back up.

I last saw/heard anything about the game like four years ago. Did they get rid of the gigantic eyed SO KAWAII YIFFY ^__^! character face designs with the huge eyes? That's the one thing that looked awful to me about the game. Well, that and the horrible running animation. Aside of those two things, the game did look beautiful, and I know one dude pretty much made the whole game, so I can't fault the aforementioned flaws too harshly, no more so than I can fault the choppy animation in the absolutely brilliant Voices of a Distant Star.

I don't know how old you are or how much time you spent online in the late 90s/early 2000s, but many furries earned their own hatred and hatred for their community two-fold during those time periods. They were absolute drama magnets, the laughing stock of the internet's subcultures, and an absolute trolling paradise. Something Awful and Portal of Evil had all the material they ever needed to keep going as sites thanks to the furry fandom all on it's own. Furry DeviantArt and LJ accounts were comedy goldmines. I can't count how many times I saw furries scream "FURSECUTION" and compare Something Awful articles making fun of poorly constructed fursuits to the experiences of Jews in the Halocaust and Black Americans during the civil rights movement, and they were dead serious.

As time has went on, Furries have blended in with the crowd though, especially with the birth of the Brony movement, whom the layman would find indistinguishable from furries. Aside of a few diehards out there, no one really cares about furries anymore. No one that matters, anyway. I too am curious where you saw such backlash against the game due to furries though, because I haven't seen any furry hating drama in years.

As for why people give a damn who made the game and what their sexual preferences are, despite them having nothing to do with the game? Well, people are stupid.
    Last edited by DMKA; 08-27-2012 at 06:11 AM.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Wow, took a while to find out what this topic is all about.

Anyway, I remember Yahtzee (Zero Punctuation) once say (or at least something like this); "I miss the times when games could be about a cake-eating-space-cowboy and a unicorn-donkey on a quest for a golden cherry-twinkle".

I miss those times too. But hey, graphics are pretty now so everything must be realistic per definition, say the fools who run this business.

I say bring back the crazy gameplay concepts and exceptional art direction!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    As for why people give a damn who made the game and what their sexual preferences are, despite them having nothing to do with the game? Well, people are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    As time has went on, Furries have blended in with the crowd though, especially with the birth of the Brony movement, whom the layman would find indistinguishable from furries.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Nothing wrong with furries. People who are judgemental like that are idiots.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

I am furry myself and i don't understand the prejudice. Theres weirdos in every fandom, especially the anime one which is not as bad in terms of hate. But whatcha gonna do..?

I would def get it if i had an Xbox, i like these kinds of games like Odin Sphere and stuff.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Yearg, have you never played Ratchet and clank? There are literally two humans in the whole universe.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen