Thread: Its place in history

Default Its place in history

I've begun writing a fanfic placing the events of the VII Compilation somewhere around the second world war making ShinRa and SOLDIER part of the SS.

What part of history would you think best links to Final Fantasy IV?
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Probably the late medievil times, given they still have castles and royalty, but have been making major technological breakthroughs with airships, tanks, and the Tower and Giant of Babil.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I have no idea what you mean.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

You're going to have a very trippy alternative history going on because technology has developed out of sync with other world elements. Final Fantasy IV is probably the clearest example of this.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    You're going to have a very trippy alternative history going on because technology has developed out of sync with other world elements. Final Fantasy IV is probably the clearest example of this.
    Nah, man. All the technological stuff can be explained by this guy in the FF universe:

It would actually make a lot of sense!

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Yes, this is true. (SPOILER)A large majority of the technological advances in the world of Final Fantasy IV were caused by KluYa traveling to the planet and teaching its inhabitants. It poses a few questions to me, namely, how long-lived are Lunarians?
    I believe in the power of humanity.

They very likely live longer than normal humans regardless of whether they be pure-blood or half-bred if FuSoYa was an indication. I never made it to that part of the game so I don't know how old he is supposed to be.

Humans have long believed in inhuman interference whether such complications spring from gods or aliens or whatever.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

(SPOILER)The game states that KluYa taught the humans magic. Extra sources state that Mysidia was founded on the principle of magic. I think we have to assume that KluYa is extremely long-lived or else a lot of the history of the world seems very recent.

Yes, the concept of Ancient Astronauts is used to explain the accomplishments of early humans. The idea is under criticism from prominent scientists these days, including Neil deGrasse Tyson.

However, the question as to whether it's factual doesn't pay relevance to realities built upon conjecture. I don't mean to suggest FFIV plays an actual role in history. I mean to ask which part of history, which era, FFIV is closest to so if one were to compose a fiction that combined elements from both/either, the timeline would be a fine match.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

I'm only saying that it's hard to place because all of the technology in the game is otherworldly. I mean, I guess I would say that it would be very similar to the European Middle Ages in that they seem to know how to build castles at the very least.

Yes, that would seem logical. Despite whatever technology they may have, how they live, how they fight, how they behave, how they speak suggests a specific era... well, I suppose if you want to avoid bending reality too much, you could just say that these people are living a medieval life in modern times like Malcolm MacDowell's kingdom in Doomsday. However, that was one kingdom, whereas this is an entire world.

Obviously, we needn't consider their technological advancement as these people have airships and we still haven't perfected such technology.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Another thing that might be tricky depends on which FFs you are including in this fanfic? Cause if it's all of them, there are many with a similar setting, so you might have a problem with that...

Step one is writing them individually as their own realities. Step two is to drivel them altogether like the VII Compilation that Vel and Reload oh-so hate. Some awesome fun right there!