Thread: SOMEONE JUST PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY NOW

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Nah I did like a 14 hour shift once which was horrible but my job is a tad less physically taxing than yours. I've had long days where I've then gone to training though and that trout is horrible

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The longest I've worked was a few twelve hour shifts when I worked at a daycare, and they only gave me one break.

That boss got fired soon after, thankfully. And I didn't dislike the work, it was just exhausting.

Yesterday I worked in a shop without any air conditioning. It was over 90F outside and those culottes don't breathe!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    I used to pull 11 hour evening shifts (more like afternoon until 1am) on a regular basis when I was working at a call center. Now I won't try to belittle how rough working 11 hours one day then 16 hours only 7 hours later is, but if someone came to me now and made me choose between the two, I'd probably take your job Pike.
    Don't worry, I would too.

Quote Originally Posted by Faris View Post
    Pike, I thought you had another moth attack.
    I actually did a couple of days ago. It was in the shower.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I had to get a bite wound flushed. When the doctor told me, I was like "oh ok, sure" because it sounded fairly innocuous. But no, it was excruciating. Worse than the bite itself.

They take a huge pitcher of saline solution and then pump it through one of the holes of the wound and push the water through so that it comes out the other hole. And I mean, it shoots out of there with incredible pressure. I had water flying out of my arm, hitting the walls of the doctor's office. And with the water comes out blood and fat particles. And your skin is just sorta flapping as the water shoots out. They did this over and over until all the water was gone. Horrible experience!

So that took half an hour. I know that seems short compared to several hours of work, but believe me, the time went SLOWLY. Every second was accounted for. -_-

I've also worked 14 hour days before, on my feet, carrying 15 pounds of equipment on my shoulders. Not cool.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I just finished a sixteen hour work shift.

Sixteen. Hours. At. Work.

It came hot on the heels of an eleven hour work shift with just seven hours inbetween.

Talk about times you have had to do the WORST THING EVER for an excruciating amount of time.
    Poor thing. Hug hug?

I think the thing that sux most is that bringing WORK home to WORK after WORKING hours.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    They take a huge pitcher of saline solution and then pump it through one of the holes of the wound and push the water through so that it comes out the other hole. And I mean, it shoots out of there with incredible pressure. I had water flying out of my arm, hitting the walls of the doctor's office. And with the water comes out blood and fat particles. And your skin is just sorta flapping as the water shoots out. They did this over and over until all the water was gone. Horrible experience!
    As much as I'm sure that hurt like hell, I don't think I really understood why someone would want to be a doctor until now. Pain aside, that sounds so cool.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I just finished a sixteen hour work shift.

Sixteen. Hours. At. Work.

It came hot on the heels of an eleven hour work shift with just seven hours inbetween.

Talk about times you have had to do the WORST THING EVER for an excruciating amount of time.
    24 hour shift.

When I worked with my dad we did essentially cat5/3 (data/voice) cable moves. Like the company will for some reason or another move all of their furniture 3 feet to the east. Then 3 feet to the west. Several times a year. Hey it paid for our livelihood who am I to argue?

So what we had to do was cut all of the jacks out and pull out the cable and put it in a corner. Then the furniture people will disassemble the furniture and move it 3 feet to the east and assemble it.

When they are done we go in and pull all the cables back where they were and terminate them.

Got it? Good. It's Sunday evening and we have to finish up 3 more desks. Everything's terminated. Let's test them....they don't work.

WTF? troubleshoot. Try again. Same. WTF????

hours pass. Dad goes into the switch room. I go crazy and delirious. I misplace a pen. (my dad took it and I didn't know) It makes me snap. I want this to end. I contemplate suicide. It was terrible.

Dad comes back. We finish up the job. It's 5am. Monday morning. People will come into the office soon. All is well in the world.

NEVER AGAIN

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Pike, next time you have to work a long shift think of this pic and it will cheer you up.

EDIT: Not linking correctly, so just click. http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3qov4v/

Blog Entries

Having a student's water break in my class.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

48hr shift.

Now wut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    48hr shift.

Now wut.
    For real? How would that even work?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I've worked from 6am till about 9pm a few times because the concrete wouldn't dry or because lifting panels can take all day and no one wants to pay the extra money to leave a crane on site overnight. The worst thing is walking around a work site with only a few hastily constructed spotlights while 3+ tonne concrete panels are suspended above you.

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yesterday was the last day off I'll see till NEXT Friday. I've worked 7 days straight before, but not 9. 6 1/2 months Pregnant Working Kari doesn't like this -_- But it's because I requested the whole weekend off, so maybe I should just grin and bear it ;-;

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Working 7 days a week for a total of some 60+ hours a week between 2 customer facing busy jobs for 9 months solid. With just 1 day off in that entire period of time, which was Christmas Day.

I also worked an 18 hour shift on the end of a week of 10 - 12 hour shifts. The shift finished at 2:45am. I was due back in work at 08:00 the next day. I had a 1.5 hour journey home to make, I then has to impromptually meet the head of Nintendo Europe. I was an absolute wreck propped up on Red Bull.