Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Round Three!

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    A thread is generally an opinionated post that leaves open room for discussion, an article is a point of information that does not.
    Well, yeah, but I see it as this: most often, meaning far more often than not, other people are reading the front site thus have caught the hype and then they post in the forums so it becomes not just unnecessary for me to post about said news but it becomes usually superfluous. I only respond to previously posted news threads. I don't remember the last time or if I've ever had the scoop before anyone else or was able to present a view on that news from a perspective different from those who'd already posted which in itself is rare to begin as most posters provide threads that directly ask your opinion so there is no need to differentiate.

I really don't know that I can perform well with this task as even at this moment, I can't think of anything to contribute. I tried to search for a pic to contribute to Proto's new fan art idea but the subject is tougher than it sounds. My first sample had no source and my second was far too dated.
    The best thing I can think of is an article about my alternate perspectives on FF such as wondering how they would have played out in the real world or my idea of how to incorporate the entirety of the VII compilation into one game. Unfortunately, I think I've already rambled about that stuff in the forums and I don't think many approved. Also, I'm gonna guess that's just not what you have in mind.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I will give my 2 cents and say this is probably the hardest task of the bunch so far. I'm more concerned that giving us merely until Monday will not be enough time. Certainly if you are after editorial pieces of much worth I would suggest extending this deadline til at least weds next week (5/9/12)

That being said I'm thinking of doing something of an opinion piece on the coolest FMV's in FF history.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I would also like more time because the next few days are going to be a bit busy for me. I know at the end of Round 2 I started to slack a bit, but the Labor Day weekend is jam packed. However, if it has to be Monday, I think I'll manage.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Hey guys did you know that there's a theatrhythm demo on the NA Nintendo eShop? Just write a smurfing article about that. Or, you know, the fact that the EU Square Enix store now supports more countries. Or the fact that tickets are being sold for the FINAL FANTASY XI: 10th Anniversary Concert to be held at the Zellerbach Auditorium in Berkeley, California on September 22, 2012. Or maybe the fact that Square Enix is going to be at PAX and what their line up is. Or do a post PAX update. Or write about the re-release of TWEWY. Nobody did a Gamescom update either.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

You realize that now nobody can use any of those ideas?

Thanks for screwing my competition over, Jiro ^^

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

How about how there is a FFII in ENGLISH being sold on Ebay for $50,000! Or how there might be info about FFXIV for the PS3 at TGS. What about how you can now play PSone games on your vita without having to do anything fancy, this includes the FFs. There is a lot of FF news out all the time. I just pick and choose what's worthy since we don't have an active enough frontsite to support all the spammy news.

This is not a hard task contrary to popular belief. Let's do a crash course in journalism, Dak!

There are three types of articles you can do (well there are more but whatever 3 for this). Editorial, News, and Review. Editorial is your opinion. You can lace it with all your opinion all you want. A modern equivalent to the old editorial column in a paper is a blog. News is well news. You present the news with the facts. When it comes to this place I like to at the end present a question in hopes for comments but mostly just the facts, no opinion. You're not here to tell people what they should think, just what info they need. It's not a practice followed anymore by the bias news orgs but I try to stay with it. Review is when you're reviewing a topic. You assess something and present it. This could be of a game, music, art or anything else. This could be Reviewing the best black mages of the series.

If you just take, say, half an hour you can crank one of these three out.

If you get any information from a source, check their source. It looks tacky to say "According to Kotaku who heard from IGN who talked to SE...." Always go to the root source. By going to someone else first you're going by their information and their opinion. Even if you don't get info straight from the source originally, no one has to actually know that. Only reference something unless that's where it came from "In an interview with SE today, IGN reported...." Remember to back it up with facts. Don't just say "They will be releasing a KH3 this month!" say "Square-Enix released a statement saying they we're going to release KH3 this month." If you have the source link, then link it. It's shows your credibility.

Much like any form of writing, Show, don't tell. You don't need to tell anyone what to think or how to think. You need to show them what is going on. Be it with pictures or with facts.

Urmmm i'm sure i'll think of more. This will go to monday because these rounds have been dragging on a bit. I understand you're busy but we have deadlines people! DEADLINES!

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

That sounds like you were expecting us, as nonjournalists, to have a working knowledge of journalism. This is not a reasonable expectation.

If I'm misreading that, w00t, great, good info to have.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I thought it was pretty obvious what kind of articles you'd read as a newsreader. O.o But seeing as I'm getting a lot of whines and complaints about a fairly easy task, I though I'd explain. It's just something i'm so use to that I didn't think it'd be something hard to comprehend. "Write an article" didn't seem like it was "hit a keyboard until something legible appears on the screen in the form of a Shakespearean play." to me. I thought I might get some questions which is why I said in my first post that I would answer things when I could.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post
    You realize that now nobody can use any of those ideas?

Thanks for screwing my competition over, Jiro ^^
    I'd like to say "You're welcome!" but those ideas are still more than usable. It took me thirty seconds to find all of that, and do you know how I did it? I looked at the Square Enix Facebook page. It's not hard, and news is more important than your fancy creative articles. Did you know I already have a backlog of 4 feature pieces to post up on the forum? Those are ideas you can't use.

We're not expecting you to have a working knowledge of journalistic process. We're expecting everyone to have a good work ethic and an ability to learn as you go. People who are willing to contribute some effort to improve the best Final Fantasy site on the entire internet are what we're looking for. But you guys are trying too hard, and that's what leads to star players like that Jiro guy having a nervous breakdown about life being too hard! THINK SIMPLE. Strength through unity, too! Chip away at the block. More motivational speak!

Freya has given you all some good tips there, and if you are ever unsure or would like us to look at stuff, then ask! Freya is a journalistic whiz kid, and I'm about 7 weeks from having a degree in the smurfing thing, so just ask us some questions and you'll not only do better in your articles, but you'll end up getting some bonus points towards making the next round

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Freya
    Or how there might be info about FFXIV for the PS3 at TGS.
    I got that this morning. I found it right I posted the article, and it was such a small piece of news that I just added it on. That part could be separated into a new article, if some Editor fancied.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've got no problem with this task, but since we've complained about all the other rounds, I'm damn sure gonna complain about this one. Wah wah no time wah lives wah mod? wah wah.

I intend to get mine in tomorrow.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would put forth that anyone who feels the need to complain about this challenge doesn't have what it takes to be a CK. Nope, not even given the low standards set by the current bunch of staff.

Suck it up buttercups.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am pretty much done in this round. Considering the topic of my article, I should say it wasn't hard. Anyway, I'm gonna be away for the weekend, so glad to get this taken care of early.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

You know what? You guys are right. No excuses. I will turn in mine to Freya sometime today or tomorrow.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    I would put forth that anyone who feels the need to complain about this challenge doesn't have what it takes to be a CK. Nope, not even given the low standards set by the current bunch of staff.

Suck it up buttercups.
    Are you surprised? Saying you are responsible and actually being so are beasts of a different animal.