Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Bleys's Round Three Rubbish

Well, this round is going to be easy. I never look at the front site, so until this assignment was handed out, I was unaware of just how pitiful EoFF's FFXI content was, and I think about FFXI about as often as an 18-year-old thinks about sex. Perhaps a bit more. I am more chuffed than I could possibly have imagined before this round actually started and I saw the opportunities to do some writing. I haven't really written any fiction since my last session at tGA. True, this isn't fiction, but it's still writing with lots of room for enjoyment.

Like the FFV Revisited! thread, this will be a task that long outlives the contest. In addition to a Level 1-50 Beginner's guide for this round, I also intend to do a 50-75 Intermediate guide and an Abyssea guide. After those 3, I'll have to send an update to the article I'm doing for the contest, because getting ready for Aby starts at level 30.

It's too bad there's no Save Draft function for PMs; I'm not going to do my article in one sitting; I can't make much progress while at work, since gaming sites (except, oddly, EoFF itself) are blocked at work and I'll have to link to various wiki pages containing information related to, but outside of the scope of, my articles. Yes, I can tether my Kindle Fire to my phone and get URLs and content that way, but with 15-30 seconds of available time per session, I won't have enough time to even load the pages I need on a tablet, let alone copy URLs over by hand. I'll just have to PM each update to myself and CC Frey when ready. Seems workable.

I know I could just write up one quick article in 15-30 minutes and submit it in one day before work and still qualify, but that's not how I roll. If I do this, I'm bloody well doing it right. I'll PM each draft of the article as soon as it's finished just in case real life intervenes and causes me to miss the deadline before I have a proper article. I'd rather get judged on a proper article with slightly less polish than I might like than three or four paragraphs of pure dreck that nobody will ever care about or bother reading as anything other than a punishment for some terrible crime.

I'm operating under the assumption that the articles we're writing will be published on the front site. If not, it's a complete waste of the monumental typhoon of awesome that I will soon be stirring up. I'm also confident that at least WesLY, Sephex, and krissy will be doing articles that need to be published. Don't tell them I said that.

On the competitor front, I am legitimately gutted that we lost Lynx, but there is still enough talent arrayed against me to keep things fun. I'm a bit disappointed that my team's effort so closely parallels Shorty's, but the teamwork was enjoyable, and I got to know a couple of cool people that I never paid much attention to before -- to wit, v22 and Quin -- but will subsequently follow with more interest because they're much more awesome than I previously suspected. If you're actually going to be promoting a couple of Knights after this competition, Vivi22 and Quin have the Bleys Seal of Approval. Yes, I promise I will refrain from saying nice things about my competitors where they can read it. In public, it will be all trash-talk and mockery as the gods intended.

I'm quite glad I signed up for this contest, even though it was initially on a whim and I originally, bluster notwithstanding, expected to be cut after Round One. It's a lot more rewarding than I thought it would be.
    Last edited by Citizen Bleys; 08-30-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

The only reason that work in this round wouldn't be published is if it is trout, honestly. You should know by now that in addition to being a fun event and a way to scout new CKs, this contest is actually about getting you all to do the hard work for a while.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It would be mad not to take advantage of what we're doing. The fact that we're having fun doing it just means we're turning out better stuff.

Well, I'm having fun, anyways. I honestly haven't had this much fun at EoFF since Wyllius was around.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Eeee I'm glad you're having fun! I thought of all these task on a plane ride from florida to texas :3 But yes, what jiro said. The only way I wont publish things is if it blows. Even if I don't publish them all at once (which wont happen) I'll be publishing stuff overtime. I don't want to flood our sad frontsite! If you're writing content specifically for a section it will most likely go up there no matter what. Some sections need the love.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I would also like to profess a love for you specifically because FFXI needs more love. XIV too, but we have BoB for that. I, too, am also glad that you're enjoying this task. When everybody pitches in a little bit here and there it remains fun. When the burden falls on a handful of people - or just one! - it becomes a chore, and none of us get paid enough at all to put up with that kind of effort.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The FFXI section definitely needs the love. That's what makes this round so easy for me.

I'm not sure why I'm sticking up for the competition so much other than that their articles will be better if they go into it with the same level of enthusiasm I enjoy. I'm reading a lot of frustration in the posts you two are posting in the main forum; rest assured, if I'm saying it when I have more ideas I'm enthusiastic about than I need, other contestants are thinking it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

That we're frustrated with them?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

All the jazz I posted while I was sticking up for Merc-X and Iceglow.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

WHy would anyone stick up for steve

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

You're not such a grumpy old man after all, are you?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Part of me wants to prolong this contest so that you don't disappear at the end of it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    You're not such a grumpy old man after all, are you?

Up yours, Gustafson.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

To build on what Del said, you tend to go through considerable periods of inactivity. Would this change, if you won the contest?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nah; I stay as long as it's interesting. The competition's keeping it interesting, to be sure, but it's not the only thing, and it's providing continuing entertainment. For example, Round 1 is over, but FFV Revisited!, made specifically for R1, continues. Sure, that has a finite limit, but if it didn't I wouldn't update 5 times a week because the sleep loss it's causing would eventually prove fatal. Nor will I be able to stop at one FFXI article for the current round.

I could get cut now and there'd be plenty going on to keep me here.

EoFF was blocked at work for a while, but now for some reason it's the only gaming site in the universe I can go to. If that were to change, it'd have a much bigger impact on my presence here or lack thereof.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, we changed up our domain and stuff and I think that causes it to get passed work filters. It also never worked for me until a while ago too!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum