Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII announced

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

The setting looks very, very interesting.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

More details:

The game is currently 30% complete
    This will be Lightning’s last game and will end with a happy ending. The game has just one ending.
    The first FFXIII was story driven, meaning that the story pulled the player along. FFXIII-2 was player driven, meaning players selected the story. Lightning Returns is World Driven, meaning players have to consider how they interact with the changing world.
    The game’s in-game time works out to one day being the equivalent of one to two hours of real time. There will be increases and decreases in time.
    The game is meant to be played and cleared multiple times. The volume is not such that it will take many tens of hours to clear once.
    People from XIII-2 haven’t died. Because of the effects of the chaos (I’m not sure if this is the proper English word), people have stopped aging and don’t get old.
    The Novus world has four continents, two natural and two city-type.
    Depending on your actions, the remaining life of the world could decrease, and the game could end before the 13 day limit.
    There are some times when helping someone will decrease the life of the world.
    Defeating some enemies and clearing some quests will increase the life of the world.
    Lightning is all by herself in battle, allowing you to concentrate more than when you had to control a party.
    Lightning has become a considerably more refined person.
    You can freely move around during battle. Some elements of the battle system are timing-based.
    The battle system is close to action. There’s an ATB gauge.
    During battle, you don’t select menu commands. Instead, you select abilities which have been assigned to buttons.
    Hope will give guidance to Lightning via wireless com.
    The city has clocks everywhere showing the constant progression of time.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    More details:

This will be Lightning’s last game and will end with a happy ending. The game has just one ending.
    The first FFXIII was story driven, meaning that the story pulled the player along. FFXIII-2 was player driven, meaning players selected the story. Lightning Returns is World Driven, meaning players have to consider how they interact with the changing world.
    The game’s in-game time works out to one day being the equivalent of one to two hours of real time. There will be increases and decreases in time.
    The game is meant to be played and cleared multiple times. The volume is not such that it will take many tens of hours to clear once.
    People from XIII-2 haven’t died. Because of the effects of the chaos (I’m not sure if this is the proper English word), people have stopped aging and don’t get old.
    Depending on your actions, the remaining life of the world could decrease, and the game could end before the 13 day limit.
    Defeating some enemies and clearing some quests will increase the life of the world.
    Lightning is all by herself in battle, allowing you to concentrate more than when you had to control a party.
    You can freely move around during battle. Some elements of the battle system are timing-based.
    During battle, you don’t select menu commands. Instead, you select abilities which have been assigned to buttons.
    should really give a heads up to the andriasang article you copied the info from :/

Anyways, the game seems pretty interesting.....aaaand they'll probably have it out before VERSUS XIII

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

I forgot the link, sorry. I think it was pretty obvious I'd taken the info from an article somewhere, was hardly claiming credit for it.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    More details:

Addtional info. from GAF:

"They mention that the customization system in LR is actually a result of breaking down the basic concept of the Dress Spheres in FFX-2. Instead of having fixed jobs and costumes which players change between, what they want in LR is to allow the players to create their own jobs by putting together different equipment which into sets which then form Styles. Players can preset different Styles and change between them this way, but there is also much more freedom is customization.

Another element is the battles. For boss battles and tougher enemy types, they are planning to design them such that they feel like intense 1 on 1 battles, where Lightning takes the enemy down piece by piece, with multiple destructible body parts on the foe."

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

welp the first two sentences of that were more info than i wanted before playing the game

see ya in two years, ff13-3 forum!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Well at least the game is sounding interesting.

I wonder what they mean when they say the game is made to be replayed many times. I hope it doesn't mean it's too short.
    If a FF game main quest doesn't last more than 25 hours in your first run. I think that would be pretty lame.....

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by J.D View Post
    I wonder what they mean when they say the game is made to be replayed many times. I hope it doesn't mean it's too short.
    If a FF game main quest doesn't last more than 25 hours in your first run. I think that would be pretty lame.....
    Nearly all new FF games can be finished in 25~30 hours just like old JRPGs, SE doesn't make a 60+ hours long game in general or multi-disc games and this game is solo much like PE1/2/Crisis Core.

The concept of expiring time worked well in Majora's Mask and ephemeral Fantasia (although those games rewound time). Will this game force you to start over to do it right? Will you get a Game Over and be forced to choose between starting over or reloading a save and figuring out how to rush to the end despite having already wasted a bunch of time on that save file?
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    The concept of expiring time worked well in Majora's Mask and ephemeral Fantasia (although those games rewound time). Will this game force you to start over to do it right? Will you get a Game Over and be forced to choose between starting over or reloading a save and figuring out how to rush to the end despite having already wasted a bunch of time on that save file?

There is a rewinding mechanic. You can buy yourself more time through side quests (although some actually decrease your time) and defeating monsters.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

I think the idea sounds really badass. Along with gems like 7 and 10, I think 13 was one of the best ones out. Good soundtrack, interesting characters, revolutionary gameplay and a pretty unique yet complicated storyline. So, needless to say that I liked the idea of 13-2 and now this one.

I read somewhere that they were alrdy talking of making sequels to 13 or 13-2 and making almost expansion-pack type add-ons to the 13 universe, being DLC and featuring some of the characters that weren't in 13-2, like Sazh and a more detailed episode explaining what Snow was up to etc..
    It's also interesting to see what type of new feature they'll come up with to add a new twist on things, and well, this doomsday clock definitely seems interesting and should change up the gameplay and overall end results. I'm also glad to hear that they're trying to implement more RPG type dimensions, in saying that actions u make will actually influence gameplay results (unless they just solely mean the clock).

So yea, really looking forward to this one as well, as I am with any new edition of the FF series.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I am excited, but like others, I'll hold off buying it until it comes out, and game play details are fully unleashed. The idea of a master game ending clock is interesting though. This sounds really weird, but it reminds me of Dead Rising somehow!

Majora's Mask + Final Fantasy = PURE EPIC ADVENTURE. I must play it.