Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the best version of Final Fantasy?

I'm partial to the GBA Dawn of Souls port myself. Two games for the price of one, plus Soul of Chaos is actually legitimately interesting to me, from a twink standpoint.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy View Post
    I like the iOS port/cash in. I just wish I could minimize the app without the game going back to the startup menu.
    This is the only version I've played of the game and I thought it was pretty slick too. It was a great game for on the go.

Depends on what you want.

If you want the original experience, you have to play the original game, which can still be bought and played on the Wii's Virtual Console. This is as simple a game as it gets, interface-wise, and unless you're used to playing NES-era games, this will not be your cup of tea.

If what you want is the closest thing to the original experience without all the 8-bit retro clunkiness of the most primitive of RPG's, then you want the Origins version for the PS1, which is a nice graphical and musical update to the game's interface with only the most minimal changes to gameplay.

If you're looking for the full package, then the PSP version's the only way to go. It has the highest graphical updates and tons upon tons of extras that will keep you playing the game virtually forever (really! I'm still trying to get every single item from the bonus dungeons and fight all the different forms of Chronodia). This version of the game is almost the de facto best version, save one thing that old-time games have already pointed out - the game is much easier than the original NES version, due to levelling being made much easier and items being sold for much cheaper prices, as well as all those bugs being fixed so spells like Temper actual are uber useful now. But if you're not looking for the most exteme version of FFI, and just the most complete version, the the PSP Anniversary edition is for you.

It should also be noted that the Android version is basically the original NES game. The iOS version is the same as the PSP version, with a slightly different phone-friendly interface. The DS version is somewhere in the middle of the PS1 and PSP versions. There's really no reason to get the DS version anymore, unless all you have is a DS, since the PSP version is better in every way.
    Currently writing a massive prequel to FFVI. Starts thousands of years before the game begins with the birth of magic, and chronicles the entire history of the FFVI world. Check it out!

Final Fantasy VI - The Sands of Time

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I feel like I missed out on FFOrigins, and I bypassed it in favour of Dawn of Souls. I think if I ever decide to replay FFI, I'll have to give Origins a whirl.

I actually didn't mind Dawn of Souls. I absolutely agree that it made the game a cakewalk and that it changed a lot about the game to make it (in some respects) unrecognisable from the original. Having said that, I thought it made FFI a much more enjoyable game on the whole. Graphically it's much nicer and in terms of gameplay it's much more user friendly. I appreciate the NES version for what it is, which is a brilliant game by 1987's standards. However I don't think it holds up so well by today's standards. I certainly prefer playing FFI DoS, even if I think the original is probably a better game for its time.

Origins, and the choice isn't too hard. Cleaned up version of the original game if you want it, or easier version with modified prices, levels, and magic if that's more your style as well. Being a console game it also has the best overall presentation (audio/visual) compared to the various portable remakes.

I've still played the NES and WSC versions the most, though.

I'm kinda partial to the MSX version

I play on the PS3 origins port and it works fine so.....

Blog Entries

I'm very partial GBA version.

I'd say get Origins and the PSP or iOS version, then you can play Final Fantasy whenever you want.

I miss my PSP.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The one you have the most fun playing.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I don't play FF game for fun, only to gather material to complain about them online with.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    I don't play FF game for fun, only to gather material to complain about them online with.
    But if you have fun doing that, then the version you get the most material to complain about brings you the most fun. ~~p = p.