Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best version of Final Fantasy?

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Default What's the best version of Final Fantasy?

I really want to give this game another shot, but I was trying to choose which version to do it with, as I've only ever played the original NES version and wanted to check out one of the updates.

I don't even know how many versions there are anymore. I know there's the PS1 "Origins" version, then there's the PSP remake, and there's recently been iOS, Windows Phone, and Android releases. I was tempted to purchase the Android one but I've incidentally heard bad things about it.

So which release would you say is best, EoFF?
    I like Kung-Fu.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Of the non-NES versions I've played, the PS1 remake (Origins) is definitely the best, which is generally faithful to the original in terms of gameplay (at least compared to the others), but is nicely polished up. I have also heard good things about the PSP version, which also has some new content (bonus dungeons), but I have no personal experience with it. The GBA remake (Dawn of Souls) is supposedly a joke in terms of difficulty, and all of the added content in that is on the PSP version anyway.

So if you just want the same FF1 with neater graphics, I'd go with Origins for the PS1. If you want some new dungeons to explore, I'd go with the PSP remake.

I played the Origins version and I loved it. So you should go for Origins + you will get FF II.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm finding the fast forward function of emulators to be hugely useful, given my time constraints, so I play the original version, myself. I have played Origins, though, and can confirm everything said about it here. Very faithful and a lot easier to look at.

You really have to play Origins. It's just as simple as that. Any difficulty you like, but preferably Normal. Go into the menu, turn off Auto-Target, Battle Support and all those other things that slightly decrease the difficulty level of the game.

Origins has the same difficulty level as the NES version and a fantastic new menu system to pretty much eliminate all of its clunkiness. It truly is the best version of the game. Well technically the WonderSwan Colour version is (Origins is just a translated port of it) but that's Japan only.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

I like the iOS port/cash in. I just wish I could minimize the app without the game going back to the startup menu.

I personally don't approve of Origins. I own it. It's barely compatible with the PS and really not at all compatible with the PS2, though it appears to try. I owned FF1&2 for PSP, but sold them for funds to Canada. If I had a time machine, I go back and shoot myself in the foot hoping the insurance policy would be enough to afford the trip without selling my "soul".
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    I personally don't approve of Origins. I own it. It's barely compatible with the PS and really not at all compatible with the PS2, though it appears to try. I owned FF1&2 for PSP, but sold them for funds to Canada. If I had a time machine, I go back and shoot myself in the foot hoping the insurance policy would be enough to afford the trip without selling my "soul".
    Both your PS and PS2 obviously need replacing. I have no problem running this game on either system.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Ditto to that. Runs fine on my PS3 as well.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

I saved somewhere in FF (some cave), and now I can't exit. The game freezes.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

That sounds a bit more like a bad disk than the whole port being faulty....
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Brand new.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Origins is the best due to being the most faithful to what the original was suppose to be, and it's a bit easier on the eyes. My second choice would actually be the original NES versions cause it's bugs actually make it one of the most challenging games if you don' wuss out and just build a grindfest Fighter party.

If you are looking for a more casual playthrough though and want to avoid lots of grinding and lots of Game Overs, I would recommend any version of the game post-Origins as SE pretty much lobotomized the difficulty in every port since.

Default Origins, over original

The original if nothing else hurts for those who want to upgrade, the items (without guide) contain no information about who can equip what, that alone makes origins my choice. The graphics and gameplay are fine, but to grind hours just to waste my earnings .
    A successful marriage isn't finding the right person; it's being the right person. ?
    "The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground., ?
    "If the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, you can bet the water bill is higher.", ?
    "Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.", William Penn
    "If you see a bomb technician running, try to keep up with him.", ?
    "If the enemy is in range, so are you.", ?
    "The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." Michelangelo
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.", ?