Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The goddamn mothersmurfing swear filter

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Unlike Bleys, I really have no problem with "smurf" being filtered as an EoFF tradition, even if it is forced, because it really is a tradition at this point. But I don't agree with censoring pretty much every other word that is censored, because the tradition argument doesn't work there. Those words are censored because they are "bad." And that's just silly.

Continual, obnoxious swearing can still be proscribed conduct, but that has more to do with the general rule to not be an ass then about the swearing by itself.

Recognized Member milliegoesbeep's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I think the smurf thing is adorable; when you're posting there shouldn't be a need to swear in it. Not unless you're really exaggerating a point. I'm just against swearing in general, since I don't see why you'd have to swear all the time. Also, don't you think removing the swear filter will degrade some members' posts and be inappropriate for younger users?

Sure, it's the 21st century and everything but it's still not nice to hear.
    ​a calm sea never made a skillful sailor | MILLIEGOESBEEP

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Does "shit" really degrade a post anymore than"tit"? I think the idea that one particular word is by itself bad or wrong is definitely outdated, and one of the few remnants of the time when EoFF was run by 14-year-olds.

Even without the filter, excessive profanity and swears hurled at other members can be prohibited. Which is really what the current staff seems to care about... At least since Leeza left.

Speaking of Leeza, who I do love and miss dearly, I remember when she would edit and warn a post for self-filtering, like saying "f**k," as "going around the filter." xD

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Does "shit" really degrade a post anymore than"tit"? I think the idea that one particular word is by itself bad or wrong is definitely outdated, and one of the few remnants of the time when EoFF was run by 14-year-olds.

Even without the filter, excessive profanity and swears hurled at other members can be prohibited. Which is really what the current staff seems to care about... At least since Leeza left.

Speaking of Leeza, who I do love and miss dearly, I remember when she would edit and warn a post for self-filtering, like saying "f**k," as "going around the filter." xD
    I don't remember that actually, but maybe I never got caught by it. I don't know, I wasn't as active in my earlier days so it's tough to remember the little things like that.

Anyway, the more I think about this the more I agree with you Raistlin. While I like the filter because I find it humorous and charming, I'm not really against getting rid of it because I think most of us are mature enough to avoid abusing the swearing too much. I really doubt most users would abuse the ability to swear too much, and like I've said before, I swear so much in everyday life that I don't even find it offensive anymore. Hostile at times perhaps, but that's what swearing is for sometimes.

It definitely seems like a rule which is more of a legacy rule now. Something that was needed when the majority of us were young teenagers, but which probably isn't doing as much now when a general don't be a dick rule might suffice.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

At the very least, can we all agree that the filter for "trout" is retarded and needs to be if not removed, then changed to something non-retarded? I'd settle for "excrement."

I didn't really expect to win this fight anyways. I never have before.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would prefer to see "trout" itself as opposed to seeing "excrement." trout doesn't make me think of anything, excrement makes me think of actual excrement.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm going to miss tit I think personally, but I guess trout is a suitable replacement if only because it took me completely by surprise when I saw it. It was quite awesome. Although unless you know it's filtering to trout at first it's a bit confusing. At first I thought I had posted from my phone and auto correct screwed me.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh for smurf's sake.

Well, at least it's better than "tit."

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nothing is better than tits.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tit is gone. Embrace the trout.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Well trout, guys, we've successfully pushed EoFF to change! I guess our job is over now.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Embrace it, kiss it, woo it.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I took a rather large trout today. I keep imagining the enemy from Mario 2 as a piece of trout now.

This also reminds me of the joke thread I started in the Staff reply only Feedback forum where I was "offended" by people using the word "Fippin" too much.

Someone changed it to something like ShlupAaronluvluv. I lost it laughing back then.