Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rantzien has double-posted!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty
    I think it may also help with reducing the need to spam in order to boost post count.
    What is this, 2002???? No one cares about post counts anymore. It's all about join date rep points now.
    THAT'S WHAT I JUST SAID, THAT NO ONE CARES

Recognized Member milliegoesbeep's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I quite like the no double posting rule.

1. As it has been said before by Quin and a few others, it keeps the forums tidy. I know that members will have an inclination to not contribute to a thread if it's basically one person or a couple posting constantly. Without the rule, I think it just asks for spamalot to rear his ugly head.

2. It doesn't take two seconds to click 'Edit' on a post. I understand that there's the argument that some people won't read it or overlook it, but you can bring more attention to it by highlighting it some way. Double posting just seems kind of lazy?
    ​a calm sea never made a skillful sailor | MILLIEGOESBEEP

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    My main point... well, I guess I actually have two main points. My two main points being:

1. It isn't a clear-cut, black-and-white rule, and so shouldn't be treated as such. Double-posts are freely allowed in some instances, such as bumping an inactive thread. Further, clear-cut rules aren't all they are cracked up to be, especially when they're not followed anyway; if someone wants to complain, there's plenty of opportunity there. The downside of more discretionary rules is also greatly exaggerated, as they work fine in a variety of other, far more significant areas. Rudeness and excessive swearing and abuse of quote pyramids are all judged by essentially subjective standards that allow for plenty of staff discretion, and EoFF has managed just fine. I really don't see a downside.
    Fair enough. I was coming at it from the perspective of having a clear and easy to understand rule about double posting for newer members. I do think something like no double posts except when bumping a thread with no activity after a reasonable amount of time may do the same job and be plenty clearer than some vague no spam rule or some such thing, but you are right that simply saying no double posting then having unwritten exceptions is no clearer and provides a lot of room for discussion and disagreement.

2. Why is any given instance of a non-spam, non-duplicative double-post such a bad thing, anyway? Why is it always something a staff member has to bother editing? Most people here seem to accept it as an axiom, which is why I was curious to challenge it in this thread. The only remotely persuasive answer I see is aesthetics, and is it really that big of a deal if someone's sig appears two posts in a row? I understand a thread would look ridiculous if double-posting is taken to excess, but of course the staff would still step in then.
    I realized sometime this morning that I didn't even really address where I stand on no double posts at all actually, instead focusing on the wording of the rule and how effective it is, which is pretty pointless when the real discussion is whether it's needed. The more I think about it the more I do believe, as you seem to, that it's a remnant of a bygone day when the user base was much younger on average and people actually cared about post counts. I do believe editing is preferable when you're returning with more thoughts shortly after making a post, but the thing the rule seems meant to protect against (spam and post count boosting) are probably non-issues now given our main user base and could be easily handled by a broader no spamming rule.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really don't mind double-posting being verboten; If you want a thread bumped, ask someone to post in it so that you can update. If nobody's willing to bump it, chances are nobody will read your update anyways.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Just for the record, Bleys is the one who PM'd multiple people in the middle of the night because he was terrified at the thought of double-posting in his FFV thread, despite the fact that his last post was almost a full day earlier. So obviously he needs some therapy and medication before his perspective on this topic can be considered sane.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Two people. The two participants in that thread who were online at the time I sent the message.

I'd do it again, too. Even if it's allowed I am not a double-poster.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post
    Two people. The two participants in that thread who were online at the time I sent the message.

I'd do it again, too. Even if it's allowed I am not a double-poster.
    YES! I DID IT! AND I WOULD'VE GOTTEN AWAY WITH IT IF IT WASN'T FOR YOU MEDDLING CID SQUIRES!