THAT AWFUL BASTARD HE MUST BE EXECUTED IMMEDIATELY

Now, I'm all used to double-posting being against the rules because it always has. I use the edit button instead of a second post, just like everyone else who's been here more than a few weeks. My question is not so much about whether double-posting is good or not, but why we should care so much about it as to have staff edit every instance of double-posting they came across.

Is there anything inherently wrong about a double-post? Obviously not. The staff generally lets a double-post slide if its done sufficiently after-the-fact, because otherwise no other member would notice the updated thread.* In some forums, double-posting is the norm if a member is responding to multiple previous posters.

I agree that extensive double- and triple-posting can get annoying. But why not just have a "don't be annoying" rule, like we have with quote pyramids? Should we really care so much about double-posts?

*Jiro once edited a double-post of mine that was made a full day after the previous one. This horribly gross error of judgment is obviously why he is no longer on staff.