Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aeris or Aerith?

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    hey, ms. ck pike
    CID'S KNIGHT
    l2use the search button noob
    Is that sarcasm? She's been here since 2005.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

There are topics on this frequently. No matter, it's always a good talking point.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Aeris, ever since I disavowed the compilation.

Hell, even before that.

Really late edit: if it had been changed to Aerith in the Platinum release and the PC version I would've been quite likely to accept it. They did not, and as one person has put it (not sure if this thread or some other one) it was changed too late to stick for me.
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 09-11-2012 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    As I said in my thread like this (like a year and a half ago, so it was time for a new one anyways)
    I think Aeris sounds nicer, but aerith looks nicer.
    Edit: or is it the other way around?
    I agree. I call her Aeris most of the time, Aerith is just harder to pronounce and I can't be bothered
    "Eternities aren't as long as they used to be".

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I use Aeris privately out of habit. If I am trying to impress nerds, I will refer to her as Aerith.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I use Aeris privately out of habit. If I am trying to impress nerds, I will refer to her as Aeris, because smurf you, it's smurfing Aeris.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I always use Aerith, but when spoken it sounds like Aeris. Still, most media today use Aerith so I just stick with the majority on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    hey, ms. ck pike
    CID'S KNIGHT
    l2use the search button noob
    Is that sarcasm? She's been here since 2005.
    It better be.

Aerith like her name actually is and always was supposed to be.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Aerith. It's better.

Related.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Aerith like her name actually is and always was supposed to be.
    If it's not in the original game's booklet and it's not in the original game itself, then I'll have to disagree on that. Nothing is more canon than the original game, regardless of how many other books or games have it spelt differently afterwards. Main game, main name.

Honestly still to this day have no idea what anyone was thinking when they opted to switch to Aerith between games. The only evidence of it in the original game is never visible in any way and is no more evidence to it being the "proper" name than it is evidence to Cloud's "proper name" being "Ex-SOLDIER". They say it's a mistranslation because there is no 'th' character in Japan, but what does it matter? They don't say 'Aerith' in Japan anyway!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Nothing is more official than the original game except Word of God. And judging from the repeated use of Aerith in all other media, it's clear that it was a bit of a localisation mishap

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

All I know is that if any person at Square-Enix highlighted that the manual and the game had Aeris 100% and Aerith 0%, which I can only assume many did note (I mean, it's hard to miss, isn't it? xD), not one of these people made a decision to get that changed. Someone out there clearly made the concious decision to have all that text remain as Aeris, and that decision for me means that Aeris is the official name because it was decided. It doesn't matter who made the decision, but they clearly had the power to because that is the name she was given to the Western audience in the original game, and it has not been changed in the original game during it's re-release on Steam. There was no mishap, it was a choice and they made it and obviously had the power to make it. It's also a far more accurate translation than Aerith, unless perhaps someone genuinely had a lisp when they talked about her at some point. How is it spelt in Japanese again? Earisu or something? Definitely said with an 's' and not a 'th'.

It wasn't really up for debate until some bugger decided to start printing Aerith on all future publications, which for me was a silly mistake. They're the ones that are making typos as far as I'm concerned.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Aerith is a less pleasing on the ears than Aeris, and I grew up with FFVII and not the compilation/subsequent media. So possibly I'm just a crotchety old geezer who won't use the metric system and continues to call her Aeris.

When talking about the past- Aeris

When talking about the future- Aerith

It just seems right.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    If it's not in the original game's booklet and it's not in the original game itself, then I'll have to disagree on that.
    I don't edit one thing in later versions, especially not one thing which seems to make at least sense, if I don't edit the errors of the whole game.

The idea itself is way more canon than the game itself and when they stated that it was the idea because it is a word of the creators itself and that is even better than what you can write in a game. Meaning when they made a mistake they can still change it in case they want to. And they did. And an English translation made a translator is not canon (Final Fantasy X for example has a very inaccurate English translation). Canon is the intention of the Japanese creator, and yes, they also have the intention of English names. What do you think how many things have a "th" and were just mistranslated. Aerith was intended all the time. I even renamed her 1997 because my brother already knew that about Square and told me "yeah, they have said that was a mistranslation", meaning what I already said. It was stated at that time that is was a mistranslation. "Aeris" just seems right because it is a real word and it is one of those words her name is based on. That is why they mistranslated it. Because it looked right. And of course it is a nice name. And I don't know how many mistranslations exist in the western versions of games but I tell you, they are many. That is like saying Sephiroth is "Sephiros". No. He was called that because Japanese because don't have a "th" (yet, they know what it is) like you said but use the "su" katakana in names which have a "th" in the western part of the world as well like "Sephiroth" in his pronounciation and this word was also meant with Sefirosu.

Some other words in Final Fantasy VII which were translated wrong because the katakana can stand for many words

Fourth Bracelet - It is the Force Bracelet, both have the katakana "hu(which also stands for "fu")-o-su"; Aerith problem just vice versa since they used the "th" sound instead of the "s" sound the "ce" in "Force" has so the made the mistake and translated it "Fourth" instead of "Force". Crisis Core did it right. Dissidia Duodecim did it wrong. Kuja's Force Symphony is the "Fourth Symphony" which actually makes sense.
    Bizarro Sephiroth - Rebirth Sephiroth, but ribasu can be translated both rebirth and reverse and they did not know, took "reverse" and replaced it with "Bizarro" which should have expressed what they thought the name should express and which was wrong since it was supossed to stand for the new born Sephiroth who breaks out his cocoon
    Pale Horse - Can be translated to both Pale Horse and Pyro Holes
    Safer Sephiroth - "Se-hu(fu)-a" Actually is is not "Safer" and it is not "Seraph". It is "Sepher".

You see, once translator think something makes sense they chose it and that how many of those mistranslations are made.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 12-23-2012 at 03:45 PM.