Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Default Quitting Smoking

I've gone about 3 days since my last cigarette.

I'm starting to go insane. Every little thing is making me irritable. My appetite is out of control; I want to eat but nothing tastes good. I can't sleep and all I want to do is yell at people. I don't even care why, I just want to hurt some feelings.

I'm also starting to worry about things over which I have no control, and that's just upsetting my insomnia and irritability even worse.

halp me plz~ any tips on how I can beat this?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

My uni has little slideshows running around the place telling you the benefits of quitting, except it opens with some points that make it sound like a bad thing to quit

Have you tried that special gum or the nicotine patches? Perhaps cold turkey isn't the way for you, and you need to slowly wean your body off of it?

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Titan 510 | 510 Battery | Totally Wicked 510 Titan Accessories

buy it and love it. still enjoy a real one after a few drinks, but that is a god-given right to us as human beings. A pack of cigarettes goes a loooooong way now.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Get a time machine.
    Go back in time to that first cigarette.
    Just Say No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Should have listened to me when i told you not to start!

I stopped in May 2006. Smoke since i was 10. I just stopped. No dramas, patches, gum, etc.

It's all will power. It was touch & go for a wek but after that it was a piece of piss.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Very helpful, Freya and Boobies.

From my understanding, a lot of the problems with quitting are psychological. It's the habit of lighting up whenever you want to relax. I've heard people recommend developing new such habits. Chewing gum, going for a jog or walk, playing a short game. Just something new to become accustomed to and take your mind off of it.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Does this mean we can't be San Francisco hipsters together?

I wish I could give you some advice, but I've never been addicted to cloves. I usually start/stop with the flip of a switch (booze), although I can't remember when my last one was.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Well I did tell him not to xD He was all "i'm gonna start smoking" and I was like "don't do it! You will have trouble quitting" "whatever"

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Managing unpleasant feelings such as stress, depression, loneliness, fear, and anxiety are crucial if you decide to quit as many turn to smoking due to these.

Design your personal gain plan for quitting smoking. Think of the benefits and advantages that you will have if you succeed.

Ask yourself questions. To successfully detach from smoking, you will need to identify and address your smoking habits, the true nature of your dependency, and the techniques that work for you.

The Nicotine Replacement Therapy is useful in Quitting Tobacco. Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) helps reduce nicotine withdrawal and craving by supplying your body with nicotine. It contains about one-third to one-half the amount of nicotine found in most cigarettes.

Hope that helps. Take Care!

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I quit smoking cold turkey from 20 marlboro red a day. Like Cuch say's it's about willpower you have to want to give up and be serious about it. In my humble opinion as someone who managed without any quitting aids and has since watched his sister and brother both fail to quit smoking with the use of aids I don't believe aids help. They merely prolong your addiction and reliance on the chemicals in your system. The first 10 days are hell, after that your system is clean of the chemicals in cigarettes and you're fine.

My girlfriend smokes, it doesn't bother me she doesn't do it in my bedroom or my house she'll happily step out on my doorstep in one of my shirts or so to have one. Personally because I still enjoy the occasional smoke after a drink or two (you'll never stop that one from happening it's just how it goes tbh mate) but I don't get addicted so I will sometimes share a smoke with her or get a pack and have one or two.

Blog Entries

Like Cuch and Colonel Icebum said, it's all willpower. I smoked for a few years, and then quit cold turkey. So did Sarah, and two of my exes.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

When I'm grouchy and can't smoke, it's time for Cats That Look Like Hitler.

Never fails.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Give it a few more days and your sense of taste and smell will come back with an intensity that you didn't think was possible.

Which is probably totally overselling it, but it's still pretty cool. Also, I'm sure your teeth are already starting to look like hell. A few more years and you'd have that nasty brown circle. Also also, now when people smell you they won't automatically think you're gross 'cause you smell like stale ass.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I never quit smoking (and I didn't ever start), but I did lose a lot of weight before. I have to say the whole willpower mentality is the way to go.