Thread: Family Friendly

Recognized Member milliegoesbeep's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default Family Friendly

Now this is THE big one!

We all know that EoFF is pretty family friendly. We have filters and very well controlled posting and rules for certain 'inappropriate' things that may not be suitable for younger eyes. My issue is, that many of us are around our late teens or early twenties and are pretty knowledgeable about certain things that go on in the world. However, if the activity levels of the forums aren't as high as usual, should we keep it family friendly to try and encourage younger users? Should we try to up the friendliness or sack it completely?

My view is, is that there aren't many particularly young users and most FF fans are older anyway. I'm not saying we should throw a nudity party everyday and swear all the time; perhaps we should relax a little since it's more of an adult site now?
    ​a calm sea never made a skillful sailor | MILLIEGOESBEEP

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Believe it or not, this site has already become relaxed, once upon a time I would've gotten snipped so fast by Leeza for typing the word "cock".

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I remember the Leeza days. They were good days.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I remember back when edczxcvbnm was always on the edge of being banned in the early days. Now, people who look at how he behaved as more of a minor nuisance. So yeah, this place has already lightened up a lot.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

EoFF has definitely matured and relaxed over the years. I was just talking about that in my blog yesterday, in fact.

And I agree that the staff should treat the forum and posters as more mature, which overall I think they have done. I am curious though, millie, how you square your views in this thread with the ones you espoused in the swear filter thread. Are there any specific examples of policies that should be more adult? And I fully understand you haven't been here long, but maybe that will give you some perspective that some of us old farts lack.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Jesus, I forget sometimes how much more relaxed things are here. It was definitely a lot stricter in the past from what little I recall of my more casual EOFF days. And you know what? As far as the overall atmosphere here, I'm pretty happy with where things are. I don't see much need to make anything more family friendly. For the most part we have a pretty good bunch of people so I don't think tightening rules would do anything but alienate us all at this point.

But I think even if we're to put the question of how family friendly we want to be on the table, it shouldn't be done solely to try and get more members. Really I think tightening the rules would do more to drive away the people we have, and making them more lax probably won't bring in new members because this is the internet and it's not known for its decorum on average. If people want to be complete unaccountable assholes, there are better places than an FF forum.

Any changes to rules to make this place more or less family friendly should be approached from the angle of what do we want this community to be, and do the rules as is support that goal, work against it, or do nothing at all? If it's one of the latter two we can probably think about getting rid of or loosening them up.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Really I think tightening the rules would do more to drive away the people we have, and making them more lax probably won't bring in new members because this is the internet and it's not known for its decorum on average.
    I couldn't have said this more perfectly. I think we all agree that the rules definitely don't need to be tightened, but I see no problem with the way they are now, save for the discussion on the one year ban and what actions should constitute banment. I think EoFF has struck a good balance with what's appropriate and what is not.

We're already so loose with everything and I really don't see much room for change. We're all treated as adults now - I really don't get the sense that we're being babied or anything by the rules or by staff.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think that if tightening the rules did attract new members, it would be under false pretenses. If it would attract anyone, it would be the kind of people that would be shocked and dismayed when they got to know the real us. That's not the kind of members I want. I want new members who are cool, and stay cool with us when they find out what we're really like.

It would be a bit like going to the gym to attract a significant other. If they don't like the real you, what's the point in presenting a façade that won't last anyways?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post
    I think that if tightening the rules did attract new members, it would be under false pretenses. If it would attract anyone, it would be the kind of people that would be shocked and dismayed when they got to know the real us. That's not the kind of members I want. I want new members who are cool, and stay cool with us when they find out what we're really like.

It would be a bit like going to the gym to attract a significant other. If they don't like the real you, what's the point in presenting a façade that won't last anyways?
    I'm not sure if this is a good stance to put with new members. I have the opinion that all new members are good members. I come from the perspective of someone who joined the site when he was 14 and is now 20. That means I'm not the same person I was, so even if I wasn't "cool enough" then, doesn't mean I'm not "cool enough" now. And it doesn't mean I haven't changed my opinions on many members that I found rude, or gross during my time of registration. Attracting new members should always be a priority, new members should always be welcomed, we are an open forum , not somewhere that collects applicants and resumes.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not suggesting screening at all, but not everyone in the galaxy is a good fit for EoFF, nor EoFF for them. Honesty in who we are and what we're like is more likely to get like-minded folk to show up and stay, rather than presenting a false front that will attract people who won't like the real us and repel people who will.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I just think you are being very broad with the term "us". I'm sure there are plenty that like the fairly low amount of swearing and nudity the site has.

Recognized Member milliegoesbeep's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    EoFF has definitely matured and relaxed over the years. I was just talking about that in my blog yesterday, in fact.

And I agree that the staff should treat the forum and posters as more mature, which overall I think they have done. I am curious though, millie, how you square your views in this thread with the ones you espoused in the swear filter thread. Are there any specific examples of policies that should be more adult? And I fully understand you haven't been here long, but maybe that will give you some perspective that some of us old farts lack.
    Well, I may be opposed to loosening the swear filter myself but if others don't pose it that much of a problem then perhaps thinking of laxing these rules would be a good thing. I've noticed the forums are very.. not uptight but very strict in what is allowed to be said and what is not. Perhaps, in a mostly adult environment, we could be a little less stiff.
    ​a calm sea never made a skillful sailor | MILLIEGOESBEEP

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post
    Honesty in who we are and what we're like is more likely to get like-minded folk to show up and stay, rather than presenting a false front that will attract people who won't like the real us and repel people who will.
    And who the hell are we? I think you're right that we need to be laid back, but I think that what that accomplishes is allows our community to accommodate a rather diverse crowd of FF fans. There is no "us" or a defining personality trait that encompasses everyone that posts here regularly.

Unless... is "loser" a personality trait?

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's more a way of life.