Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Halo 4

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cim View Post
    Does that mean my days running around as though bullets harm me are over?
    I kinda miss the health system of Halo 1. You had shields AND a life bar. Made legendary such a hard game.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Indeed. Rechargeable shields and a non-recharging health bar is the only acceptable way for an FPS to deal with health.

I was trying to post a reply, but my laptop is a piece of trout and froze on me... so I'll try to retype this haha.

If the 3 round burst is to return, I hope this means similar weapon mechanics to 2 or 3 (at least 3, 2 would be best though).
    The reason I stopped playing Reach was due to the closing of the skill gap between more experienced players and novice players in competitive play that made learning more about the game feel less rewarding. This was clearly not the only factor the contributed to the decline of competitive play in reach, but was one of the more obvious ones. Hopefully Halo 4 returns to the weapon mechanics and battle experience of 2 with the teamwork focus of 3. I have seen much aside from the ads here and there for 4, so I really don't have much else to say about it, other than the above.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just got it, didn't know I had to install my second disc to make the game playable. That's kind of bulltrout. Will come back once I've actually played some matches.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah the whole "lets not include a note saying "installation disc" was a bit dumb by 343 I'd have expected more. I've played some Halo 4 now and control wise it's pretty similar to CoD; left analogue stick pressed in = sprint, crouch is now the b button (hell I keep holding it wanting to go prone!), melee is on the RB button and grenades on the left trigger. Pretty much once I got the idea to play like it was CoD my skill level went up a fair bit on the multiplayer games we did which was disappointing because I prefer playing halo to mean playing halo.

I noticed a few things removed from the game:

Hornets and/or Falcons (seriously the UNSC seems to have forgone any form of air power in 4 why I don't know)
    Dual wielding (not such a major loss but there were times and weapons where dual wield became useful like when needlers and plasma assaults were dual wield weapons)

Some of the changes I'm unsure about, things like the new Warthog look or the sound of it's engines they've gone for an added touch of realism the hog now sports jerry cans bouncing over the rear, firing it's cannon is now accompanied with a tinkling sound of shells hitting the deck of the hog, they've also made it so it can overheat it's cannon meaning you're unable to simply drive constantly throwing down bullets (done the same with static turrets too) though the hog and the mongoose appear to have had some pretty beefy armour moulded in to them as a direct hit from a rocket launcher won't always kill a mongoose but it will kill the rider of the vehicle.

Whilst yes, the Hog now sounds meatier, and more raw it's a fundamental break from the Hog we know and love from Halo (if we go chronologically of storyline - Wars, Reach, CE, 2 & ODST, 3) which I'm not so sure I agree with since if you look at when these games are set: Wars is 20 years prior to CE (don't get me started on the idea of introducing flood in this game), Reach is just before CE, 2 is I believe a year or two after CE, ODST is during 2 and 3 directly after 2 with Halo 4 set 4 years 10 months 7 days and 16 hours (or whatever it was Cortana said) after the events of 3 (to give it a better sense of scale, the difference in terms of time passed between Reach and 3 is under 4 years as Cortana is the AI transported to the Pillar of Autumn by Noble Team on Reach in 4 she states she was created 8 years ago) the idea of nerfing the warthogs trademark constant stream of bullets or placing jerry cans on it seems to be wrong in some sense.

Another change is that the Ghost when damaged no longer sparks blue plasma energy everywhere it smokes as if it was a UNSC vehicle. I've also noticed that the Halo Reach Banshee is the Banshee that makes a return to service in 4, this doesn't fit with the idea that the Banshee in 3 was different due to upgrades in Covenant war tech, the Storm Rifle is another issue, the gun works and looks more like the plasma repeater from Halo Reach too. Plasma Repeaters were pre-cursors to the Plasma Assault Rifle and Heavy Plasma Assault Rifles of 1 - 3. I'm not sure where 343 thought they were going here I feel like the stuff they/Bungie announced to explain the changes between technology between 3 and Reach are being ignored in favour of not having to re-model the underlying mesh models created for Reach.

Overall I've enjoyed what I've played so far on Halo 4 but at the same point I'm disappointed with some of the things I've noticed. I'm up for progression but some of the "progression" is retconning the absolute trout of the predecessor games.

Blog Entries

I have 8 gig total on my hard drive. And that's including used space. I'm not even sure I CAN play multiplayer.

Blog Entries

I've had fun with multiplayer, but it plays way too much like COD for my liking. I was completely fine with more highly skilled players have better looking armor than I do, but it's pretty troutty to give them access to better loadouts and stick them with people just starting. I don't even really like the idea of custom loadouts to begin with. It goes against what I always liked about Halo over CoD.

That being said, the campaign is pretty cool. I've completed six of the missions and I'm excited to see where it goes.

Blog Entries

Can't we just play REACH or Halo 3 again? That was fun. Remember the elephant? I want to sing again, guys.

Blog Entries

lol I want to know if Julian misses the old Halo fun past-time of abusive xbl messages?

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I still have your abusive messages saved somewhere, Steve. xD

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I played some multiplayer with a mate yesterday.

I'm... unimpressed. There are some cool things, like I do actually enjoy the addition of some weapons and the "kill streak" things. I hate that there are all these perks and abilities now; it makes things too busy and removes the idea that I can just win by being a better player. Now I have to win by grinding levels so I can unlock trout and then make sure I build the best loadout and etc etc.

I want the standard Reach controls back too; B to crouch and making it a toggle is smurfing annoying, but LS in kind of needs to be sprint. It just feels like a bit of a mess. The maps I played on were pretty neat though.

Oh. The Mantis. What the smurf. That thing is OP as smurf. A tank can be destroyed; this thing just ducks out into cover for a couple seconds and regains all its shields, making it all but invincible. Not a fan at all.

I might go and buy a copy of Halo 4 and head into the city so I can play a few rounds with you lot though. With friends it seems bearable.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quinter Wonderland View Post
    I still have your abusive messages saved somewhere, Steve. xD
    You missed a cracker to Julian where I told him I'd dipped my balls in refried beans to make them easier for him to suck.

Edit: The Mantis can be overpowered but it can also be wrecked by a Ghost in a one on one fight as I have proven by doing so. My Ghost took a pounding but was still operational after ramming straight in to it for the kill after destroying shielding and the like from gun fire.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    lol I want to know if Julian misses the old Halo fun past-time of abusive xbl messages?
    Yes, of course I do. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I hate that there are all these perks and abilities now; it makes things too busy and removes the idea that I can just win by being a better player. Now I have to win by grinding levels so I can unlock trout and then make sure I build the best loadout and etc etc.
    Yeah, it removes skill being pretty much the only deciding factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Oh. The Mantis. What the smurf. That thing is OP as smurf. A tank can be destroyed; this thing just ducks out into cover for a couple seconds and regains all its shields, making it all but invincible. Not a fan at all.
    It's not that OP unless you know how to use it really well. You can take it down with concentrated fire or a single person using a plasma pistol to get in close.

The game looks interesting and I'm considering it. I already downloaded Waypoint when it came out. I like Waypoint for all the fan-made posts like the Pokemon creations.

Blog Entries

How much do you want to bet those two guys gave us neg rep for that Paul?