Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ending

Default The ending

I don't like FF9's ending and I will tell you why.

After the complete ass-pull that is Necron appears and basically makes the up-till-now excellent story completely fall apart at the last second we're then treated to this lengthy scene where the characters stand around in a static frame and talk for a few minutes. Okay, fair enough, 7 and 8 did the stand around and talk thing before its ending really kicked off, no worries.

But it gets worse. After like a fifteen second FMV of an airship flying away, Zidane then does this parcour scene that's so lazily rendered that it can best be described by this link:

http://www.youtu.be/PJQVlVHsFF8

Afterwards we get a lot of boring dialogue that consists of "I'm walking! Now I'm philosophising and it's all thanks to Zidane!" that pretty much summarises what we'd already seen and then we get the abridged version of I Want To Be Your Canary.

Then there's a running scene with Garnet and the credits roll, complete with a "PREVIOUSLY ON FF9" montage.

Frakkin' yawn. I found this ending boring and frankly unbefitting of an excellent game. The first time I saw it I actually ended up saying "That ending sucked!" out loud. I'm pretty sure I had company at the time so I wasn't going insane just yet.

Did anyone else feel really let down by this game's ending?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

You don't like anything it seems. Haven't you heard the phrase, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all."

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Necron's place as the final boss was in of itself an important throw back to the old Final Fantasy games.

If you look at the clear bookended theatre references you will see that Final Fantasy IX draws a lot from theatre which can be didactic at times. Hence the monologues.

The scene with Zidane running through the Iifa tree is clearly badly done but that should not detract from anything. When did graphics have an effect on the storyline, hmm?

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

I felt Dagger dropping her necklace didnt really prove anything, the trinket is a few meters away, Zidane isnt going anywhere! and she turns back to stare at it for the 5 seconds it wouldve taken to pick it up. If it had fallen off and she just kept running maybe it mightve made a statement but i dont think it made any strong emotional effect the way it was done.
    I didnt mind the whole visit each character and see what theyve learnt/what theyre doing thing. Its got that nice FFVI lets sum up everything feel.

Necron was balls though, and came out of nowhere.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad! The ending is wonderful, I find it really moving with Vivi's letter and all.

Necron is a bit out of left field but I've never been too fussed about it.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Blog Entries

That moment when you read between the lines and realise that Vivi probably died after the letter though

"Farewell. My memories will be part of the sky"
    *sniffle*

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    The scene with Zidane running through the Iifa tree is clearly badly done but that should not detract from anything. When did graphics have an effect on the storyline, hmm?
    During the ending I expect a bit of a spectacle for beating the game. This one bored me and the one sequence that could've been dead exciting was really half-assed.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    I felt Dagger dropping her necklace didnt really prove anything, the trinket is a few meters away, Zidane isnt going anywhere! and she turns back to stare at it for the 5 seconds it wouldve taken to pick it up. If it had fallen off and she just kept running maybe it mightve made a statement but i dont think it made any strong emotional effect the way it was done.
    I didnt mind the whole visit each character and see what theyve learnt/what theyre doing thing. Its got that nice FFVI lets sum up everything feel.
    I CAME INTO THIS THREAD TO SAY THIS

<3

Seriously, this always bugged the tit out of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    Hmm... I always thought that necklace is like the symbol of her royal status. And by being with Zidane might affect that status. So after it drops, she hesitated whether to keep her current status as it is or forget about it and go to Zidane. So that particular 5 seconds might be a crucial turning point in her life to make a really important decision.

Just my views though.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think Christmas is on to something there with her opinion. Though really I can't see many people in Alexandria or anywhere on the Misty Continent having much complaint about Zidane becoming her Prince Consort since he was so damn instrumental in saving the world.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    I think Christmas is on to something there with her opinion. Though really I can't see many people in Alexandria or anywhere on the Misty Continent having much complaint about Zidane becoming her Prince Consort since he was so damn instrumental in saving the world.
    And I think he basically made friends with everyone everywhere he went.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i have no issues with the ending

why wouldn't they encounter the personification of death and demise after kuja ultima's everything? bill and ted had to cheat death too. zidane and co took a more direct approach and beat the crap out of it

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    Ya, the only one that opposes is Steiner. But then again, the general public has no idea about her relationship with Zidane?

I'm going to go ahead and echo the posters above:

This game is very much like a play, even with the play-within-a-play part (Think Hamlet). Ultimately, everything gets wrapped up with a nice bow at the end and the girl chooses love. The necklace being dropped is symbolic of her choice, and it doesn't matter whether or not she goes five feet away or ten miles away, the same result is...

She dropped it.

Everyone got their happy ending...except Vivi of course.
    I only want your happiness...even if I may never be yours to share it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually loved it. Especially the fact that the narration is basically a post-humous letter by Vivi. Always makes my eyes water