Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Games you tried to like but couldn't

Blog Entries

Chrono Trigger and any Mario game after Paper Mario 2. CT had some cute ideas, but for some reason the game got immensely boring after a while. I think part of the reason was, it was too easy.

The Mario series went downhill for me after Thousand-Year Door. I played through about an hour of SMG and was like "....that's it?!" Same thing basically happened with NSMB as well.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

I'm curious as to when people tried some of these games, particularly Chrono Trigger or any other SNES game that they just didn't like. CT definitely didn't age well and if your first attempt at playing it was relatively recent, I understand completely. If you played it when it was newer, then you are crazy.

Blog Entries

I have tried to love Koudelka. But the battles just kills it for me. They are SOOOOO slow and just uninteresting.
    Last edited by Chris; 09-10-2012 at 07:00 PM.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

so this thread is like the ultimate bridge burner isn't it

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I though DQV was his favorite?
    Can't find it now, but I SWEAR I read somewhere that VI was his favorite. Knowing you, you're probably correct.

My answer doesn't change, still. I just can't get into DQVI.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I'm curious as to when people tried some of these games, particularly Chrono Trigger or any other SNES game that they just didn't like. CT definitely didn't age well and if your first attempt at playing it was relatively recent, I understand completely. If you played it when it was newer, then you are crazy.
    I first played the game in 1997, when I was 8 years old ( a few months before FFVII, as I recall, because I hadn't played VII at the time). It was kinda cool because I was all into DBZ at the time, and Toriyama did the art for the game. But I couldn't get into it. The last RPG I'd played before that was BoF2, I believe. I got sick of CT pretty quickly, though. I can't really explain why. I tried it again a few years later and the same thing happened. I trudged through the game once and that was enough. Although that boss that keeps saying "I'M AFRAID OF HEIGHTS!" and then kills himself was pretty funny, and was worth playing the game up to that point.

Also, I can't believe I left out Koudelka. I didn't like it for the same reason Chris didn't. The battles were so agonizingly slow. Like "snails crawling uphill in molasses in January with the wind pushing them back" slow. The only good thing about the game is that it eventually led to the Shadow Hearts series.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Articles
    Blog Entries

Fallout 3 definitely. It made me think WRPGs just weren't for me for a long time.

FFVI and Xenogears were games I wanted to love like so many others do but just ended up liking.

I understand where people are going with DQVI. I'm a huge series fan and it kept the new ideas coming but I just wasn't taken by it and it remains unfinished. I think DQV was just too big of a game and too hard an act to follow.

As a huge shooter fan I've tried to understand Halo in its many iterations but have never wrapped my head around its peculiar design decisions or controller layout. I did like Halo 3 multiplayer initially when it launched and had a couple good games of Reach.

Recently tried AI Wars and despite its ambitious promise, I don't think it's gonna work out...

I have to disagree to this. Chrono Trigger is fine and is still great minus the downgrade on the graphics but that can't be helped. It's not linear, has a amazing and creative plot, nice characters, decent music and different endings. All signs of a good solid and meaty game.

I played it last year and it was one of the best RPG titles that I've ever played !

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

FFII pretty much was this for most of the gameplay for me.

FFVI is similar in that I was expecting something amazing but never really got drawn into the game. Like Bolivar, I liked it but didn't love it like so many do.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Recognized Member milliegoesbeep's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Final fantasy VII, Gears of War and Brawl.
    ​a calm sea never made a skillful sailor | MILLIEGOESBEEP

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    I have to disagree to this. Chrono Trigger is fine and is still great minus the downgrade on the graphics but that can't be helped. It's not linear, has a amazing and creative plot, nice characters, decent music and different endings. All signs of a good solid and meaty game.

I played it last year and it was one of the best RPG titles that I've ever played !
    I agree, I first played through the whole thing around 2007 and had a wonderful time the whole way through. I think Bunny might be suggesting that the game won't be earth-shatteringly mindblowing as it was when it was released.

Bullet Curtain... Scroll... Pitfall.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Blog Entries

Skyrim. It's just not good :/
    You hold my heart in your manly hands I wanna feel the throb of your handsome gland. I wanna hold you tight like a newborn kitten, against my flesh like a cashmere mitten. Tickly tick, I'm makin' skin bump heaven and all the way down it's lookin' cleanly shaven. Prickety pricks, it's stubble on stubble I better slow down or I'm in real trouble. Want you, touch you, feel you, taste you! Knick knack whacky whack 'till I see the man stew. spin you around let me see that hole! I'm a tunnelin' in a like a short hair mole. Once I'm inside I'm gonna leave a trace, half in there and half on that face! One finger, two finger, there fingers gone! Mano a mano I love you John!

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

FFVIII: I finished the first disc and still didn't care for it.

God of War: In theory I would like it, but in practice it simply doesn't appeal.

Pokemon Black: WTF? Not a bad game but the absence of my favs just hurts. It just lost its allure.

Also, modern RPGs have made me abhor random battles. I LOATHE THEM. If I can see a monster ahead of time, then sure. Otherwise, GO DIE IN A FIRE.

I am going to have to go with final fantasy 12. I really tried to like that game and I just could not get into that game no matter how hard I tried. I could not understand the combat system it was just to complicated for me. I did not like when you run the enemies keep running after you that was really not fun for me. I traded the game in for something else.

This one is going to be something most people would not bring up Lunar dragon song where is my shot gun atom bomb ak 47 good god that game was terrible. If you run you loose hit points what the heck where they thinking ugh. Sometimes in battle you would be trying to hit the enemy and then the worst thing that could happen your weapons breaks and there is nothing you can do anything about it. That game was just painful. It should not even have the name lunar in the game title. Everyone should stay away from this game you will hate it.