Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ReloadPsi plays Awful Fantasy 3 - Mildly offensive ROM hack ahoy!

Default ReloadPsi plays Awful Fantasy 3 - Mildly offensive ROM hack ahoy!

This is probably my favourite ROM hack of all time. It's a little bit packed with injokes from a forum I've never been to and has a lot of just plain random crap that doesn't necessarily add much to it, but the near-complete removal of the original cast and plot I quite like for some reason, as well as it being something I played during a slightly crappier period of my life and it got me through it. I could babble on about what I like so much about it, but I'm just gonna go ahead and post screenshots and talk about it.

Onward!

The game starts out by telling us that the game is awful. Promising start. It then goes on an ambiguously misanthropic rant.

You no doubt noticed that guy in the corner. That Gau edit replaces Kefka.

And the obligatory slogan drop to remind us that this is indeed from Something Awful. Enter main characters.

So we have two pirates with rather odd names and Terra's been replaced by a palette swap of Locke with pink hair. What an original character; wonder if he can steal?

Anyway it's time to attack Canada with our Magitek armour. No backing down now! Let's take the usual right turn at the beginning for a bit of bonus experience!

Hrmmm...

Well that doesn't look good.

Or that. (By the way, Doom House is an awesome movie and you should check it out.)

So Fragmaster nukes my party...

...and we're dead already. To be fair the game does actually come with a readme file telling you not to go right at the start.

Back on task now, we can see that these pirates have taken the whole pirate vs. ninja battle to FOOR NEW REBER.

Oh, and that's the full list of Magitek skills. My personal favourite name there is ByeWhore, followed closely by Lazerboobs.

We waste the ninjas good and get what I think is an awesome level up message :3 Also notice how the pink-haired man appears to be holding something in his victory pose? Those are his trousers. Be thankful the Magitek armour is obscuring what's under them.

Another pair of ninjas seems to be posing a credible threat...

...and they send their dogs of hellish fury after us.

Who spontaneously die before I can input a command.

Who's this?

It's Taco the Wonder Dog! Apparently! I honestly have no earthly clue who that is!

But before we move on, a seminar on... save poo.

Oh, and while we're doing interfacey stuff, let's find out what this ARRANGE command does...

BASTARD! Yes, the arrange command deletes certain items from the inventory. I don't think this is a prank, more a side-effect of such extensive ROM-hacking.

Here we see proof that the pirates are indeed pirates. Also I have no idea what pink-haired Locke's portrait is meant to be.

He does start equipped with a Segway though. That's going to be very useful for sure.

Here's what happened to the pendant. Woo.

But now it's time for our first boss encounter! Enter Livestock, Whelk/Ymir's replacement.

The dialogue itself is a bit lame I guess but the actual graphics replacing the boss really tickled me the first time I played this game :3 Anyway, we follow imsuxok?'s advice and leave the shell (well, desk) alone and Livestock goes down as easily as its counterpart.

Time to reap the rewards.

...cosplayer?

What has become of imsuxok? and Gilgame? Who the hell is this pink-haired man? Why is a cosplayer nuking people? Find out next time on Awful Fantasy 3!

Blog Entries

This is absolutely horrible. I will follow your progress.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I feel as though it would make more sense if it was hacked to include EoFF in-jokes but the edited sprites are quite enjoyable.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

...Hell I can dig it.
    Returners Represent!

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I have absolutely no idea what to think of this. It is pretty terrible, but I couldn't look away.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    I have absolutely no idea what to think of this. It is pretty terrible, but I couldn't look away.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Those were roughly my sentiments playing it, the difference being that the more terrible something is, the more I can't look away and am instead wildly amused by how horrible it is. I'll do a bit more soon.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not seeing any 'mildly offensive' yet. This is why I'm following this thread. Let's see something terrible!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Yeah I want to be offended too.

?????BBQ awakens in Airdisc's house rather predictably and proceeds to attempt to recall the previous events.

Yeah, not renaming the characters is generally recommended as the bits that don't fit in the 6 character limit are always tacked on in dialogue. I've never renamed them so I have no idea if this can get annoying or not ^^

So the Canadian ninjas come knocking on the door demanding a cookie.

OMGWTFBBQ asks for one as well.

And so he's sent off running out the usual escape route.

Yeah.

Here's an enemy I do not like, so I shall burp upon it.

Toasty! (I am just now getting why Scorpion was where the frozen Esper used to be.)

But the Canadian ninjas catch up in something I foolishly neglected to screencap. Look, just imagine the scene but with the mummies replaced by Shadow with off colours. There you go.

More of OMGWTFBBQ's memories are coming back.

Well, he probably hopes they ain't memories, more a really bizarre nightmare.

Ick. Wait, I'm a bit confused by Todd's interpretation of giving/receiving a teabagging here...

Anyway, time for OMGWTFBBQ to waste some redshirts.

I don't know if Todd is supposed to be incredibly camp gay. Maybe it's just me clinging too hard to stereotypes. Or maybe being bi warps my perception of it. I dunno.

We establish that Gestahl is replaced with a dude named Al. Also shown, the guys replacing Leo and Celes. More on that later.

Back to reality...

...where we meet our next hero.

Pipebomb, apparently not very popular on the SA forums at the time of making this, though this could be greatly exaggerated.

So Pipebomb berates Airdisc for sending OMGWTFBBQ off running into the mines alone, and decides to go after him. Airdisc then makes derisive comments about his mother that I also neglected to screencap like a fool. Here's how it ends.

Right.

Unfortunately Cornbeef has caught up from the other side and Pipebomb is hopelessly outnumbered by Taco dog thingies.

But what's the voice?

It's GameQuoter, former admin of Zany Video Game Quotes and arbitrary selection of video game sprites. He speaks entirely in lines from said website.

Unlike Mog, GameQuoter doesn't use the Dance command, but instead comes with Mimic, although it's GameQuoter you have to use on every terrain in order to obtain the Dances for any character that CAN use them. The other Servebots accompanying him have random commands as is often typical of an FF6 ROM hack.

By the way...

...Pipebomb...

...freakin'...

...SUCKS. Okay, personally I think cutting his attack command and only letting him throw stuff is pretty hilarious. We're supposed to think he's a wimpy lamer after all.

Thankfully the enemies do have Pocket knives to steal so you can throw those. This guy's gonna be so broken once I buy some Shurikens.

Oh yeah, Rawr the Servebot is equipped with a healing staff. Proper caught me off guard, that.

Anyway with the help of Slot and Mimic, GameQuoter and the Servebots kick Cornbeef's ass good and we're free to go.

Hooray!

That line amuses me and I occasionally steal it when I'm around hipsters.

Interestingly the same applies to that one.

We've got to flee from Canada for now but let's see what happens if we try to enter again...

Guess not.

Oh by the way, the Evade bug is fixed in this version. Actually I think almost all the bugs are. But is the game bug free? We'll find out some other time...

What awaits me in the newbie classroom? Will we learn anything useful, or will we just hear a lot of weird asinine garbage that they couldn't fit elsewhere in the game?

I've got a train to catch so that's it for today folks!
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 09-11-2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Oh goody, Photobucket decided to stop adding that horrible whatsit to those close-ups so I can quit whining

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    By the way...

...Pipebomb...

...freakin'...

...SUCKS.
    I don't know why, but this made me laugh so hard I almost got busted for using the internet at work.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Props for fixing the unfiltered word but super props for an enjoyable update!

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I hope you haven't given up on this.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm thoroughly enjoying this ROM hack trend. Give me more.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Keep it going!!! It's really hilarious!!! WTF with those weird artworks anyway?