Thread: Square should've added a manual camera control to the right analogue stick

Default Square should've added a manual camera control to the right analogue stick

Why didn't Square allow the player to manually control the camera angles in this game?
    I always found it pretty stupid that the right analogue stick wasn't useful for anything in the overworld, and the only excuse I can think of would be that it would take up too much memory (although I find that highly unlikely).
    It would've frankly been a lot more fun to play this game if you could actually change the perspective.
    You could've even switched between Manual and Auto by pressing R3 or something, or even choose the type of camera angle before starting a new file if you want it to "stick" and remain unchanged.

If it isn't too costy or inconvenient for Square (which it shouldn't be, considering all the remakes that all game companies always release, particularly the games by Capcom) I really think they should release the newer versions with this included, in my mind there is absolutely no reason not to do that.
    Leaving out the camera angle control is a huge waste, and it's a pity that they did it that way.
    Last edited by *Laurelindo*; 09-09-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I've always felt that as well. The game is so linear as it is, the fixed camera angles make it more so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by *Laurelindo* View Post
    Why didn't Square allow the player to manually control the camera angles in this game?
    I always found it pretty stupid that the right analogue stick wasn't useful for anything in the overworld, and the only excuse I can think of would be that it would take up too much memory (although I find that highly unlikely).
    It would've frankly been a lot more fun to play this game if you could actually change the perspective.
    You could've even switched between Manual and Auto by pressing R3 or something, or even choose the type of camera angle before starting a new file if you want it to "stick" and remain unchanged.

If it isn't too costy or inconvenient for Square (which it shouldn't be, considering all the remakes that all game companies always release, particularly the games by Capcom) I really think they should release the newer versions with this included, in my mind there is absolutely no reason not to do that.
    Leaving out the camera angle control is a huge waste, and it's a pity that they did it that way

It would be awesome if they did this, but i imagine they didnt render what the camera doesn't see, so yeah it probably did save space and alot of time and over all smoothness of the game play ( it was a ps2 remember) the remake will be awesome if they do this.

i mean you come too the top of luca and go on the high road, and you could turn around and take a look at the city from an over view, in which case the actualy layout of the city would need too this view also, so it is indeed alot of work.

Yes; now that I think about it, Konami did the exactly same thing with Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater as well.
    That game had even worse camera problems (everybody remembers that goddamn Groznyj Grad escape) but they eventually released a new version where you could change the angles.
    I hope they do the same with FF10 someday as well.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

This was one of the release titles with the PS2, there wasn't too many engines made to do such a thing. Really not one that would handle Square's graphics. They went with their tried and true style they had used in the PSone Era. It wasn't until 12that you got more camera movement, and then everyone complained about that.

An acquaintance of mine in uni told me that camera programming for a video game is actually obscenely difficult. That might've been why. 3D games have had crap cameras for years, and I imagine that's why: people can't be arsed, and can't afford to pay someone to be arsed.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm sorry, but I think the camera controls in FFXII are actually pretty damn good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Meh, I felt that the camera angles were never bad so I didn't notice.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I didn't mind, the camera was usually set up to make things more cinematic.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You know, when it came out it never actually bothered me. But since I've been playing for the Let's Play, my thumb is always on the right stick and my brain rages when it does nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by *Laurelindo* View Post
    Yes; now that I think about it, Konami did the exactly same thing with Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater as well.
    That game had even worse camera problems (everybody remembers that goddamn Groznyj Grad escape) but they eventually released a new version where you could change the angles.
    I hope they do the same with FF10 someday as well.
    This. Was just going to mention this -- but I don't remember camera issues there, maybe the US version was ok? I just played this game a few months ago again, but that was the HD edition…
    Pray to Yu Yevon. Dream, fayth. Forever and ever, grant us prosperity.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I am fairly certain that the fixed camera angles were intentional to shorten the development time of the game and to produce cheaper models. I imagine that a remake of the game of some kind would allow one to see more of the world of Spira than what is displayed in the original game. It is a shame as this Final Fantasy has a pretty developed world plan.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Never bothered me personally.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    You know, when it came out it never actually bothered me. But since I've been playing for the Let's Play, my thumb is always on the right stick and my brain rages when it does nothing.
    One of the things that irked me about playing with a USB controller without analog sticks is that I didn't have a right stick to change the camera. I had forgotten that FFX didn't even allow that.

I re-played it after re-playing XII and all I could do was curse because I was so used to the camera in XII and it felt so difficult not having it anymore..
    "Eternities aren't as long as they used to be".