Thread: NFL Thread - Playoffs?!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Great game between Oakland and Pittsburgh today. I guess the Raiders were waiting for me to actually have time to watch to win a game.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

McFadden sure picked a strange week to have a good running day. And he's now survived three whole weeks without a serious injury! I think that's a record for him.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

He needs to be leading the league in rushing before he gets his injury so he has a way to go.

So how many points was Jamaal Charles worth this week?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

37. And I played the team with him. I was torched by Reggie Bush last week too. Fortunately I have great receivers, Foster, and RG3.

I'm the league manager of my league and the owners pushed me to change it to ppr. I already know I'm gonna regret it
    ohno.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Ravens
    Patriots
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Speaking of injury prone players, Austin Collie played in his first game this season, which means he was already due for an injury. After just one catch, he's out for the season.

Also yesterday was amazing, because not only did the Patriots lose again, but we got another great pissed Belichick moment. I look forward to the huge fine he'll get for grabbing a ref.

Also this:

Quote Originally Posted by pederloo View Post
    I'm the league manager of my league and the owners pushed me to change it to ppr. I already know I'm gonna regret it
    EoFF's league is 0.5 PPR, which I like. But it definitely requires you to think a bit differently about RBs and even some WRs. It's a big reason why I drafted Reggie Bush and Darren Sproles where I did, because their receptions can be an extra 3-4 points/game each.

Weren't the refs supposed to get better?

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

So...how about those replacement officials huh.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

The refs are painfully out of their depth, and the NFL shows no signs of giving a crap. Steve Young is right that the NFL won't care until it costs them money. So I've been urging people to stop going to games and buying NFL merchandise, but we're all too addicted for many people to even do that much.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

The problem with not going to games is that you already spent the money on tickets. They already have your money so you might as well go. To make matters worse, so many teams have moved towards the licensed seat model so those people will keep buying season tickets or else they basically threw all that initial money down the drain.

The loss will have to come from people not watching on TV thus lower TV revenue. The networks under contract could sue as a result due to the Leagues negligence to put the best product on the field. That likely will not happen but if ratings do start to go down it will not come back easily which means less money on the next contract.

The only other way is to not buy merch and at this point it is probably the most effective way as everything else is a long term play.

As a Packer fan, I am disappointed but at this point the only thing I can do is not watch and not buy anything. Done and done.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    The problem with not going to games is that you already spent the money on tickets. They already have your money so you might as well go.
    I meant that in the context of don't buy more tickets.

The loss will have to come from people not watching on TV thus lower TV revenue. The networks under contract could sue as a result due to the Leagues negligence to put the best product on the field. That likely will not happen but if ratings do start to go down it will not come back easily which means less money on the next contract.

The only other way is to not buy merch and at this point it is probably the most effective way as everything else is a long term play.
    The not watching thing is probably not going to happen for most people, but not buying merchandise is definitely feasible.

Anyway, further hilarity has ensued. Now a New Jersey State Senator has introduced legislation to ban the NFL in New Jersey until it has real officials, citing player safety concerns. Also the Lingerie Football League is now claiming that it fired some of the officials now being scab refs for the NFL due to incompetence.

In response to the Seattle MNF hail mary debacle, the NFL released a statement today that defended the official's call about double possession, but also notably says that a blatant offensive pass interference by Seattle's Tate (who "caught" the hail mary pass) should have been called and would have ended the game there. Just enough to both admit to clear error on the part of the scab refs while also defending them and further pissing off fans.

You can't say the NFL isn't entertaining.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The Raiders only had like 2 penalties on Sunday so I'm just enjoying the ride while it lasts.

Blog Entries

GO PACKERS!

Offense is looking even better this year!