Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old places with familiar faces

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default Old places with familiar faces

Today I stopped by the grocery store that I used to work at and anyone who would recognize me is always happy to see me and we end up chatting for a while. I'll go in for something that takes 1 minute to get and end up staying for about a half hour just catching up on each others lives.

Do you ever visit old work places or schools?
    Last edited by Faris; 09-12-2012 at 02:54 AM. Reason: abuse of spell check power cause it was driving me nuts. Better? :D

4444444444 4 4 444 44 4

I worked with my dad who was a contractor installing drainage pipes. Then I worked at a college cafeteria about 3 hours away from where I currently live. Then I worked for a month at a mortgage firm as a gopher. I was let go about a month before the company went under. I do know a few people from that job outside of work, but they're my mom's friends whom I got the job through. I then worked for a week at a bottle factory... my job being to take bottles out of boxes and put them in labeled boxes and then throw away what trash was left behind including whatever bottles my coworkers (surprisingly frequently) dropped and broke. I only ever dropped one bottle but luck was on my side and it bounced harmlessly without so much as a chip as a result.

Rant done. No I've never returned to a workplace or school ever. The closest I've had to this experience was having a teacher from an older school show up at my new school and recognize me and, unable to contain herself like some old grannie, gave me a hug.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've moved away from any place that I could go visit. I stopped by one of my old jobs in Arizona after I quit once, but that was about as far as it went.

I went back to my elementary school a few years ago to visit some of my teachers back then. It's crazy how different a place like that is perceived as a child and as an adult.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I totally read that as feces. I was scared to click on the thread for a second.

I've gone back to my High School to get references back when I was new in University and had no real job experience. My old teachers were almost always happy to see me. I guess it helps that I was really frigging smart and always had good grades. Even the teachers who's classes I chatted through with my best friend because I usually finished my homework for the night before leaving class seemed happy to see me.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

i usually go hang out at the warehouse for an hour or so once a week after work to just shoot the with all of my old friends there.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I always like to go back to my old Sixth Form Centre from time to time and it's lovely to see some of the old lecturers. I never really enjoyed school but really came out of my shell at Sixth Form and a lot of the people there really helped me with a lot of stuff, so I'll always feel like I want to go back.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I go back to my old jobs and chat with people sometimes. (We usually all just end up talking about WoW.) <3

Blog Entries

I feel awkward going back to visit an old work place, so I try not to. It is nice though to meet old acquaintances.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

It's rare for me, but I visited my old high school earlier this year. Most of my teachers have since left, but I met with my old AP US History teacher and even spoke briefly with her cool Street Law elective class about law school. I've been meaning to go back and visit some of my college professors, but I haven't gotten around to it.

I generally don't go back to visit old work places, though I probably should.

I don't like going back to the town I grew up in. Whenever I go there, all I see is how much it's changed, and I hate that. And I can't even go back to my school; it's been merged with another school so it's nothing like it was. As for seeing old faces, most of the people I knew in school don't seem to recognise me for some reason...either that or they just don't want to 'recognise' me.

Blog Entries

I often go to places I once worked but very few of the same people are there.

I don't really talk to anyone anywhere. I'm one of those asshole people that are always in a hurry to do nothing.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I said my goodbyes to a few staff members in HMV today when I went and cleared my locker out ect. It was surprising a fair few people were like "wow, you're gone... so were you pushed or did you walk?" to which I laughed and said "Walked? I'm bloody running mate screaming the word freedom!" I'm not sure when I'll next go back in to that place, there were some really good memories there but mostly the memories suck so I am sure I'll be avoiding it in future.

I went back to the sainsbury's I worked in when I was down my mom's at one point to get some bits with my sister, we ended up spending like a good 20 mins at the customer service desk joking with the girls on there who remembered me and a fair few people gave me high fives and the like walking round. I found it ironic that many of the people on my department didn't recognize me but the checkouts staff in particular remembered me well. I guess that goes to show how much time I spent on the checkouts there.

Last time I saw a school teacher of mine was when I worked in Sainsbury's my old chemistry/maths (she taught me both over the years, maths in year 7 and chemistry from year 9 onwards) teacher Mrs Whitehead came in. She was a tough old lady, about 4'10" tall and suffered with disabled hands which meant a lot of the time being a sensible kid in her opinion I had to help out with the "dangerous" experiments that were demonstrated to the class rather than us being allowed to do them ourselves. She recognized me instantly and had a go at me because I was wasting my potential and I needed to get out of there and in to a real job. I liked her as a teacher immensely because no matter how much I got in to fights to defend myself or started to screw about in class she knew I was smart enough to do the work and that giving me the no-nonsense pep talk would see me pull it together. It was her who told me when I was banished from the physics lab, that my physics teacher was second rate and an idiot and I just needed to follow the text books and I would understand it. Thanks to that speech I passed my physics GCSE.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I always go back to old workplaces and schools to visit everyone!!!!

But no one gives a damn about me when I go see them.

Empty spaces
    What are we living for?
    Abandoned places
    It seems we know the score
    On and on, does anybody know what we are looking for

Empty spaces, fill me up with holes
    Distant faces, with no place left to go

All around me are familiar faces, worn out places, worn out faces...
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nope.

Signature by rubah. I think.