Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impressions of XIII

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Impressions of XIII

So I'm picking this up again to finish it. I'm at the part with Hope's dad, and I have to say he is my favorite character so far.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I started a new game last night. I'm at the part where Sazh and Vanille are treading through the Vile Peaks. I've neglected using the Crystarium thus far, so it'll be interesting to see how fast I die on Odin.

And yeah, Bartholomew is one of the better NPCs in the game.
    I like Kung-Fu.

I am that rare player who -loved- Final Fantasy XIII. The Paradigm system was amazing, and I honestly felt the tension that the characters were literally on the run from a world that wants to kill them.

Every. Last. One. Of. Them.

The only problem I really had with this game was the fact that there were no real side quests beyond the 1-60 mob-kills in the Steppe, which got rather annoying really fast.
    I only want your happiness...even if I may never be yours to share it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

This was a really fun game.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Nightsintodreams View Post
    I am that rare player who -loved- Final Fantasy XIII. The Paradigm system was amazing, and I honestly felt the tension that the characters were literally on the run from a world that wants to kill them.
    That was a really interesting premise, especially that they were forced to choose between saving themselves or saving the world. At least, it was interesting until (SPOILER)they found out that they could avoid making that decision by accomplishing both by controlling the personification of rage and destruction with the power of love! Worst deus ex machina ever.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nightsintodreams View Post

Every. Last. One. Of. Them.

The only problem I really had with this game was the fact that there were no real side quests beyond the 1-60 mob-kills in the Steppe, which got rather annoying really fast.

Oh yes those missions were irritating, not to mention rather unimaginative. I think the greatest appeal to me was both the paradigm system and the story. For what the story is worth, it is excellent. Was there barely any sidequests? Not really, and that was my main, and essentially only complaint. I loved how every character had some form of development, unlike VIII where half the party is forgotten.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I loved how every character had some form of development, unlike VIII where half the party is forgotten.
    ^ Me, too, and not only how each character has development but how character relationships have development. Hope and Snow have problems to work out. Lightning watches Hope become a hateful person and it softens herself. Then you have Sazh and Vanille and how it turns out (SPOILER)she was the one who infected Daj.

I'm not sure any other game in the series did so many character relationship arcs. This is why I was the opposite of most people - my enjoyment of the game went down a little bit after Gran Pulse, because this all kinda stopped once the party was together.

It was still a good story with some really well developed characters.

If only they made weapon customization easier and gil easier to gain it would have been a bit more enjoyable. Buying stuff is expensive and fighting tons of monsters for items is tedious.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

The weapon customisation is fine, I never had much of an issue with it - but money, I can agree with. Almost always lacking in funds made it difficult to actually do weapon customisation sometimes.

But I enjoyed FF13 when I played. The battle system was fun and engaging in a different sort of way. The characters are definitely the highlight of the game though - my boyfriend didn't think so, as he hated all the characters but I found them quite... real, for lack of a better term. :3

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I only played this game for about half an hour. I remember thinking, "When do I get to fight?" "Oh hey! Finally! A battle! Oh. That was over quick." "smurf. Another cut scene?"

After which, I turned it off.

Blog Entries

I'm already at Disc III and may I just say that this game is so dreary and sappy at times that it makes me want to hurl. The battles get too repetitive, there isn't enough variety to get me going, and the usual depth in the story and characters are missing. I'm only playing this for the sake of loyalty to the franchise. :/

Articles
    Blog Entries

I forget that the Xbox version is split into discs, brings me back to VII and VIII. Where is Disc III again?

I actually like the heavy realism of the game, if you were being chased around the world, you probably wouldn't be happy all the time and I thought the characterisation was excellent, though I have to agree, the battles do get slightly repetitive.

Blog Entries

I forget that the Xbox version is split into discs, brings me back to VII and VIII. Where is Disc III again?

I actually like the heavy realism of the game, if you were being chased around the world, you probably wouldn't be happy all the time and I thought the characterisation was excellent, though I have to agree, the battles do get slightly repetitive.
    Disc III is around Chapter 10 onwards. Yeah, I would be pissed at a perpetually-happy FF but there's something about the 'acting' and the voice acting on XIII that grates on my nerves.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by yukina View Post

Disc III is around Chapter 10 onwards. Yeah, I would be pissed at a perpetually-happy FF but there's something about the 'acting' and the voice acting on XIII that grates on my nerves.
    I had nothing against the acting, I think the voice-actors did a great job with the crap script at times they were given

Articles
    Blog Entries

Out of all of the "spoken" games, the voice acting in XIII was probably the best. X's acting was bearable, except Tidus and Yuna, while XII was slightly worse, seriously, what was up with Fran's Nasal sounding voice?