Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there an objectively "Worst" FF?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

:monster: Is there an objectively "Worst" FF?

Since the other thread is going that way...

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

FF Mystic Quest? I hardly catch the objective.

PS: We are talking on objectives right?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

No, I don't think so.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I'd like to motion that FF XIII be named the worst FF game ever released on a console.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

For me, FFXII or FFXIII. Not because they're bad games, but because I don't feel the represent the series.

Oh, and X-2. Just because it's lame.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'd say FFVIII, but I'm not sure I'm being objective!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Worst game is a little more complicated, but worst Final Fantasy is without a doubt Spirits Within. Not only was it very poorly received it destroyed Squaresoft and lead to a complete change to how it's successor does business.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I didn't think we'd actually get an answer that could be called objective, but I'll be damned if Velo hasn't come as close as I can imagine us coming. I'd imagine in a list of worst entries, the one which almost destroyed the entire company has to rank fairly high for pretty much anyone, regardless of if you liked it or not.

I'll still go with FFXIII as far as a game answer though.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

It depends on the factors you use to quantify "worst." E.g., FFXIII has by far the worst story, as it is entirely contained within a few 5-minute conversations with the villain.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

XIII, overall, I feel is a fairly weak experience. As a "game" it holds together though, at least battle-wise. On the other hand, the long hallway design of it is kind of pointless since the player really only ever has to worry about dodging enemies. So much more could have been done with it.

II, I feel, is objectively bad. The entire "game" part of it is so easily exploited in the stupidest way imaginable. Sure, VI and VII (all the games, really) are exploitable and easy but none of them feel as senseless as FFII's design.

On the other hand, VIII is also kind of a mess. I haven't played it in years so I can't really make a judgment on it but from what I remember it's so poorly balanced that you can leave the first island with 3000HP on Squall if you know what you're doing. I think a good game balances its systems so that a clever player will eventually start experimenting and figure out exploits as they come to him. FFVIII doesn't have this, and basically leaves everything out in the open right from the get-go, making the game hilariously easy.

Either 2 or 8 for being so thoroughly broken and having crap plots. I am convinced their testers sat around rattling their lips with their fingers and didn't actually play them.

And this is coming from someone who likes them both as well. Just this evening I was telling my friend who is currently playing 8 why it sucks, and yet we both still conceded we liked it.

There are no bad games, just different players.

For me personally it's Final Fantasy XII. It just doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy game at all, it doesn't just have the exictement or engery that all of the other games have and the characters and story just feel so bland.

But one person's trash is other person's treasure.

At the end of the day I can see this thread being just 2, 8, 12 and 13 over and over for the same few reasons each :P

I'd diss 12 for not feeling like an FF game but then by that measure neither did 7 if you think about it. And I'd diss 13 for being nothing but endless padding and a battle system that holds your hand constantly but then 2 is bashed for a complete lack of hand-holding, and almost similarly 8 gets it in the neck for a system that is a bit complex at first with some tutorials that aren't much help only for it to suddenly break itself once you play with it a bit.

Final Fantasy Adventure or Mystic Quest. I've played neither and I never will. Final Fantasy XI and XIV. I've played neither and I never will. Final Fantasy VII Advent Children. I felt a complete lack of control throughout the whole thing. Final Fantasy Spirits Within. Dashed... hopes.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.