Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: IGN's Top 100 RPG's of All Time

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default IGN's Top 100 RPG's of All Time

Fuel for bitching and complaining here.

Overall, I like the list. The selection of games is excellent. The order? Not.

Some complaints:
    -The Elder Scrolls series is way too high and Morrowind is way better than either Oblivion or Skyrim.
    -The Persona series is way too low. That's a Top 50 series if I ever saw one.
    -Final Fantasy IX is too low, and there is no FFXII. FFX is too high. FFTA is too high.
    -Fallout 3 is the worst in the series yet is in the Top 10.
    -I find the Mass Effect series hopelessly overrated and the fact the first two are so high doesn't change my opinion.
    -From a personal standpoint, Arcanum would've been on my list. It is hopelessly flawed, though.
    -I don't get WoW. As an experience, sure. As a game? Eh.

Some praise:
    -The Top 5 is pretty damn near perfect.
    -Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate love!
    -Mentioning Might & Magic, The Bard's Tale, as well as Wizardry is really cool.
    -It's a good mix of WRPG's and JRPG's from a variety of generations and consoles is awesome.
    -Ultima love is awesome.
    -Odin Sphere was an unexpected but very pleasant surprise.
    -Dragon Quest/Warrior love is awesome.
    -The resurgence of 90's-style party-based WRPG's as both a topic of discussion and as a genre of game.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

It's tough to criticize the top 3, though I don't know about FFIV and Pokemon for 4 and 5, or most of the 6-10. I highly approve of FFT being 14 and Ultima Online being 33, but Lunar: SSSC and Suikoden II got shafted (and no other Suikoden games?). FFIX and Vagrant Story also seem too low, and FFVIII shouldn't even be on there.

Happy With

- Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger being number one and two spot !

Not happy with

- Baldur's Gate II taking the 3rd spot. It's not that good.
    - Wow taking 8th spot. What ?
    - Final Fantasy VIII being too low. It's not that horrible !
    - Persona 4 also being way too low !
    - Final Fantasy IX should be in top 10 at least.
    - Final Fantasy IV is way too high. It's fun; but not that great.

Blog Entries

I agree with everything Raistlin said.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Articles
    Blog Entries

- Baldur's Gate II taking the 3rd spot. It's not that good.
    There are no words.

Another bulltit list by the goons of IGN.

If you place FFIX, FFX and Vagrant Story well 30-50 places behind Pokémon Black/White (which is pretty much the same game as Red/Blue, you can't deny it) you just know they put zero effort into this besides the top 5.

Oblivion at #22 takes the cake.

EDIT: Deus Ex: Human Revolution must've gone missing in the process.
    Last edited by Pete for President; 09-16-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Will not even read because I can already tell it'll piss me off xD

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Baldur's Gate II taking the 3rd spot. It's not that good.
    That's a good-natured jest isn't it? Haha good one.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like that they put FFVI on first place, but putting Xenoblade Chronicles on 41 is just plain offensive to me. Also, Neverwinter Nights on a higher spot than its sequel? Now that is just blasphemous...

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

A top 5 that doesn't make me vomit a little in my mouth? A number 1 pick I actually agree with?

Well, no need for me to ever read a top 100 list again because no one will ever write one less offensive to my gaming tastes than this.

Legend of Dragoon at #95 is way too low. I'm not saying it's Top 10, or even Top 20. But it could easily be Top 50.

I also see Phantasy Star at #96. I might have put that in the 70s range, but I can't complain a whole lot about its placement. The sequels were far better anyway.

I did like that they put ff 6 at number one and chrono trigger as number two. I was really pleased they did not forget about secret of mana wink wink. Some of the games I had never heard before. For me when it comes to final fantasy 6 it was such a grand scale of a game I spent hours playing that game. I liked the characters, music, backgrounds, story etc. I was really pleased with this list.

Articles
    Blog Entries

One trendy journalist thing to do in the last few years, since console gamers have been exposed to WRPGs, was to compare them to JRPGs and take the commonly integrated mechanics of WRPGs as proof that JRPGs can never, by the nature of what they are, be as good, much less better, than WRPGs. They are two different genres that have individual strengths that strive towards different goals.

This list made the same mistake of associating them and was even careless enough to take it one step further and throw MMOs into the mix. You simply can't put MMOs on the same grading scale as WRPGs and expect to rank them. Guild Wars 2 is trying really hard to introduce dialogue choices and branching storylines to the genre, but there's only so much it can do because it still has to be an MMO.

All that being said, I do like that FFVI was number one and Chrono Trigger number two, but I have to question how these choices were made. That's a very particular player. To include WRPGs and MMOs on the same list but have the typical SNES enthusiast come out on top is pretty strange.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I disagree. Yes, JRPG's and WRPG's are different, but I think treating them as entirely different genres is the absolute worst thing you could do for both. It seems JRPG's and WRPG's both have fanbases that rarely intermingle and that has caused both genres to so set in their cliches and tropes while dismissing the other's. The thing is, a JRPG and WRPG are ultimately judged to similar standards and while they have different traits that make them unique, ultimately both subgenres need the same mix of proper story and gameplay elements to be successful.

The Top 3 games in this list are an excellent example of games that do the right thing and yet come from different subgenres. All three have tactical battle systems with involving and flexible character development systems. All three have excellent plots and stories that gave you choice without lacking a sense of direction or objective. All three have character and personality. All three have a diverse, interesting, and well-explored cast. All three are emotionally powerful experiences. All three have excellent visuals and music. All three and well-crafted experiences in the same way and while all three are different they each more than fulfills the requirements for what makes a great RPG.

Blog Entries

Chrono Trigger needed to be WAAAAAAY down the list. Certainly not number 2. I didn't look at the list but I noticed somebody said that CT got second place.

At least one of the Breath of Fire games and one of the Lufia games better be on the list when I look at it. >:/
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down