Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old news is no news is good news, eh?

Default Old news is no news is good news, eh?

A study done in 2004 on video games, seemingly pertaining mostly to video game violence, told that majority of video games, the majority of the most popular video games particularly, depicted violence in some way. I don't care.

However, it also stated that most player characters are the archetypal white male. When I consider the mindset game designers are in to go that route, it makes me a bit dizzy as I think back to my childhood when I would pretend to be Bruce Lee. Yet, Asians as central protagonists proved to be a rarity in games just as much as blacks and women.

Personally, I love the idea of being able to play games outside my race or gender. I already play games that feature character whom are outside my age-range, state-of-mind, physicality, etc. Granted, I find myself somewhat more on the fences about playing as Latino characters despite half my family being Latino (they're married in). If they made a game version of Desperado, however, I'd love to play as the Mariachi and honestly, I loved the character of Ricardo Mariachi in Shadow Hearts: From the New World.

Games like GTA San Andreas and True Crime made blacks and Asians central "protagonists" though whether you could really call them that in these particular titles is questionable if not laughable. The game Stranglehold allows for a somewhat more heroic Asian main character.
    Heavenly Sword was an awesome game in the vein of God of War which featured a female protagonist, Lara Croft has had her own series, and Aya Brea has at least had a sequel. Kasumi is the main protagonist of the Dead or Alive series and Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII is getting a third game. There's also news of a remake or sequel for Beyond Good & Evil starring our favorite photographer, Jade.

As for blacks as main protagonists, male or female, in video games, the closest one may find is ShadowMan from the namesake game for Sega Genesis.

I'm not counting RPGs, FPS, RTS, Army-sims, or Fighters where a black person just happens to appear in the cast and may be a "good guy". I'm talking about a game that acknowledges the main protagonist is The Black Guy. First-Person games and Driving-sims will never count because you can't see your character's face. Has Black Panther been licensed for a video game yet? It may be our chance to see a black guy in the main role.

Am I missing something?

What other games can you name where an Asian is the central protagonist, male or female (not including games wherein the character's race is ambiguous, as in not stated in the game or manual)?
    What other game can you mention that provides an African-American in the lead?
    Do you feel there are enough games lately representing the other side of the gender coin?
    Last edited by Mercen-X; 09-18-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It all depends on what kind of game we're talking about here. If it's military shooters, or games that simulate a section of society, today they're probably representative of that demographic. In Call of Duty and Battlefield, you get a couple white guys, a couple black guys, and a woman piloting an aircraft or on the radio every now and then. But if we're talking about games with fantastical settings where the character can be anything but ends up being a white male, yeah there could be some kind of a problem.

The truth is in America, most game developers are white men. They're going to make experiences that relate to them. It's natural for people to make stories based on what they know and where they come from. In the law, when it comes to discrimination, it's usually not enough to find a disparity and scream racism. You have to show there actually was a discriminatory intent.

Recently, I have noticed a trend to have strong female protagonists, or at least strong females front and center in the story. This probably started with Portal. People love Chell. But of course there's FemShep being a big part of the Mass Effect experience and Blizzard feeling they needed to retcon Leih into the story of Diablo.

As far as the race thing, I think it's going to change on several fronts. On the one hand, you have different people gradually coming into the industry from different backgrounds. But also, I think a lot of developers are interested in exploring different perspectives and telling different stories. Assassin's Creed III stars a Native American protagonist from what I've heard, I think that's another big step.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

>Ctrl+F
    >No Mirror's Edge

Mirror's Edge. Faith is great.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Assassin's Creed III stars a Native American protagonist from what I've heard, I think that's another big step.
    he's only half native american

cause WE DON'T WANT TO GET CRAZY HERE

check out Beyond Good & Evil

Is there something weird with the main character of BG&E? or are you referring to the number of aliens in the game that don't represent any race at all among the human species?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar
    Assassin's Creed III stars a Native American protagonist from what I've heard, I think that's another big step.
    Sounds righteous. I wonder if my old "friend" Jerry will end up owning that.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Why is anyone concerned with the level of racial or specific-gender representation in games? Just play the smurfing games.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    >Ctrl+F
    >No Mirror's Edge

>two posts
    >ctrl+f instead of reading
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Tigmafuzz View Post
    Why is anyone concerned with the level of racial or specific-gender representation in games? Just play the smurfing games.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    >Ctrl+F
    >No Mirror's Edge

>two posts
    >ctrl+f instead of reading
    Bruh

The first post was a wall of text

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Totally right.

I often choose to be a non-whitey in games where you can choose race. Usually always pick azns tbh. Especially where I'm a villainous character because Oceania always fears them slanty eyes invading. Totally joking here don't get mad bro.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

Eh, Prototype 2 has a black male lead. There are plaenty of games out there that give you the option, but whatevs. I don't really care as long as the game is good.
    You hold my heart in your manly hands I wanna feel the throb of your handsome gland. I wanna hold you tight like a newborn kitten, against my flesh like a cashmere mitten. Tickly tick, I'm makin' skin bump heaven and all the way down it's lookin' cleanly shaven. Prickety pricks, it's stubble on stubble I better slow down or I'm in real trouble. Want you, touch you, feel you, taste you! Knick knack whacky whack 'till I see the man stew. spin you around let me see that hole! I'm a tunnelin' in a like a short hair mole. Once I'm inside I'm gonna leave a trace, half in there and half on that face! One finger, two finger, there fingers gone! Mano a mano I love you John!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I only had the chance to skim bits of that, but I'm not sure what's worse: that the developers changed Vanessa in VF5 like that, or that I don't remember noticing despite owning both VF4 and VF5. Granted, I didn't like VF5 much and didn't play it a lot (maybe a handful of times over the run of a month, and I didn't play as Vanessa in VF4 so I doubt I used her in 5) so maybe I did notice but just don't remember almost 6 years later.

They should retcon Superman into a black guy.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    They should retcon Superman into a black guy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Haha, of course it's Grant Morrison. That guy's a nut, but it's probably actually a good story.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It was actually, even if it was kind of a Superman is Barack Obama sort of thing (the black Superman of that parallel Earth was president of the US). It was just a one off parallel universe story, though I actually found myself hoping he shows up again down the road. Morrison is a wacky bastard and I love him for it.