Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I swear, early game stealing makes Cloud seem like an amateur thief

Articles
    Blog Entries

Braaaaaains I swear, early game stealing makes Cloud seem like an amateur thief

So I'm replaying VII, and I'm at the point where you first get Steal (obviously). So I begin stealing ghost hands so I can W-Item them later, as well as ethers from Deenglows for the 750 Gil they sell each.

Just me, but at this point of the game stealing takes an inane amount of time! I like to think that a Level 17 Cloud as at the very least some degree of success stealing. Call it bad luck, but this brief money making escapade is taking longer than I expected.

Oh, and stealing a striking staff from Eligor in the train graveyard took forever too.

You're not alone. I feel like stealing takes an age and a half. I was trying to get a Hardedge from the soldiers in Shinra HQ and it took FOREVER.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Cloud is prevented from moving too deftly due to his giant hair and sword.

In all seriousness, I rarely bothered with stealing in this game.

I always thought stealing against random encounters should be instant steals for whatever they're holding (unless it's something ridiculously rare). Why can't I be right?
    ohno.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I always gave Steal to Tifa because it always makes sense to me that the thief is the hand-to-hand combat expert. Although mugging with Vincent is great. I agree though, stealing early on is incredibly difficult, but early on in the game is when the steals are the best!

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Jiro, our playthrough is so similar! Tifa is also my thief, Vincent is also my mugger.

I actually haven't had too much trouble stealing this time around, but then again I don't utilize it very much.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I tried letting Yuffie do all the stealing hoping she can steals materias from enemies as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I always gave Steal to Tifa because it always makes sense to me that the thief is the hand-to-hand combat expert. Although mugging with Vincent is great. I agree though, stealing early on is incredibly difficult, but early on in the game is when the steals are the best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Jiro, our playthrough is so similar! Tifa is also my thief, Vincent is also my mugger.

I actually haven't had too much trouble stealing this time around, but then again I don't utilize it very much.
    Isn't it weird how our minds work? I always have Tifa using steal too. Though like Christmas says, it would also make sense using Yuffie seeing as she steals materia from nearly every smurfer she meets.

I'm currently tracking her bony ass down in Wutai on my playthrough.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I never use steal in any game, even when I have a set thief like Zidane. Rikku's the exception, as her entire limit break is centered around it (and then I mostly can't be arsed) and you have have have to have good items to customize your weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

If all my character's levels were equal, I would choose Tifa, but Cloud's extra 3 or so levels gives him that (seemingly nonexistent) edge.

Wouldn't mind so much but stealing is only effective in the early game

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    If all my character's levels were equal, I would choose Tifa, but Cloud's extra 3 or so levels gives him that (seemingly nonexistent) edge.

Wouldn't mind so much but stealing is only effective in the early game
    No, the edge is there. The Steal success rate is affected by your level against their level. If your level is above theirs, the odds are very good. If your level is below theirs, the odds are very bad.

That's really all there is to it.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    I never use steal in any game, even when I have a set thief like Zidane. Rikku's the exception, as her entire limit break is centered around it (and then I mostly can't be arsed) and you have have have to have good items to customize your weapons.
    You can also get those items without stealing them, can't you? And you can get great stuff when you steal in the other games...! I really don't understand why it's different between games. Thieves - who can steal - are very useful 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time there are no items worth stealing but even at the beginning of games having a stockpile of potions is great. Not having to spend money on medicine means more for WEAPONS

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    You can also get those items without stealing them, can't you? And you can get great stuff when you steal in the other games...! I really don't understand why it's different between games. Thieves - who can steal - are very useful 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time there are no items worth stealing but even at the beginning of games having a stockpile of potions is great. Not having to spend money on medicine means more for WEAPONS
    It's just a smurfing hassle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

It takes awhile for me to steal stuff in Shinra HQ, but other than that, I don't use the materia that often. It just doesn't bug me, I suppose!

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i stole everything with zidane, you get some much equipment that way

but i didn't use steal until i built it up to mug in ff7
    just more efficient that way