Thread: A Realm Reborn Economy and Archery Changes

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I WEAR IT WITH PRIDE

*slathers paint all over my body*
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    What does an English major know about economics?

Anyway, it certainly will inflate because everything inflates eventually. But it shouldn't get close to where it was before, at least not for a long time. It would take a 1000% increase to offset a 90% decrease. Simple math!
    I... uh... don't see the simplicity in that math...

Original Price: x
    90% decrease of original price: y = .9x
    1000% increase to 90% decrease: z = 10y
    z=x (?)
    z = 10y = 10(.9)x = 9x
    9x =/= x
    90% decrease does not mean 90% of the current value; that would only be a 10% decrease. So y = .1x. This would mean that the new price would have to increase by 1000%, or 10 times its new value, in order to reach its old value.

...DERP. I'm going to have hard time adjusting back to classes at the end of my internship from the look of this conversation

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Stop throwing around your numbers and trying to sound smart, Del. I never said that I expect values to return to what they are now. I stand by my projection that hoarding items--rather than gil--is more profitable in the long term going forward from version 1.x to 2.0.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Well items are always better since they are inflation sensitive.

Unless of course something better is released that replaces it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Aye. I saw a link to a video earlier (full disclosure: I haven't watched it yet), but it had Yoshi-P talking about some of the new crafting and gathering mechanics. From what (limited) translations I've encountered, he seemed to suggest that you will be able to exclusively target whatever particular item at a given gathering point as opposed to it being randomized to a degree. I imagine that will lower the value on certain items (which everyone will go after ad nauseum) while increasing the value on the items that right now gatherers still collect by consequence but will now be able to avoid.

So much is changing, and I really hope we start learning more about it. The only thing that's disappointing me about FFXI:ARR's ad campaign is that it's done very little to excite new players beyond showing itself to be... similar to every other MMORPG out there.

Show us more about how the classes and jobs are going to change. Show us more about how FFXIV features an incredibly robust crafting and gathering system. Show us what makes FFXIV different from other games. So far, aside from limit breaks, I've just seen a lot about what they're doing to play catch up to industry standards.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    I'm not saying that they're going to go ALL the way back up, but I sincerely doubt that they'll all settle as low as 10% of current value. My point was that quest rewards and NPC prices have increasingly insignificant impact on a player-driven economy as the game goes on. FFXI demonstrated this significantly. Prices on the auction house were vastly different from anything dictated by NPC prices or quest rewards (notably, absurdly bloated by comparison). I fully expect the same thing to happen in FFXIV. Eventually, prices will go up driven independently from whatever prices SE tries to artificially set. It happens in just about every MMORPG with a legitimately robust trading system between players, and I, for one, very much doubt that FFXIV will be any different.
    Oh, I agree that NPC prices don't drive the economy alone, but I disagree that prices will go up if there simply isn't enough gil being generated. They might hit 20%, meaning people will have to work twice as hard for every bit of gear due to the gil demand, but in all honesty I don't think that the change in the gil system is going to have any real impact on the market and unless demand changes or gil increases, the prices won't be that much higher than 10% until there is a significant change in how gil is generated in-game.

...also, FFXIV:ARR has an ad campaign? Last I checked they only have released very limited footage on the internet. Outside of a few gaming sites which have picked up on them, I don't think that there has been a massive ad campaign yet. I think that will come when, you know, you can buy the game and play it. That's when they'll start pushing out the advertisements. They've openly stated on multiple occasions that they would rather not release anything at all at the moment, so I wouldn't say they are advertising. Just keeping us minions informed.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!