Thread: 2012 got it wrong

Default 2012 got it wrong

I'm speaking of the film of course. I don't think the world's end has anything to do with volcanoes erupting, solar flares expanding, polar ice caps melting, tidal waves flooding over the land. No, I'm pretty sure we're meant to bring the end on ourselves through politics.

I think there may have been a couple of films spouting a theory like that, but I can't think of them at the moment which is sad because I think a movie of the like should be instantly memorable which means (as I'm not remembering it) that it wasn't memorable and therefore has thus far not been done right.

Once again, am I missing something? Is there perhaps a movie I've neglected to see that has delved into this territory?
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

They absolutely got it wrong. It's going to be zombies. Idiots.

That new show coming out Revolution is probably the most realistic thing I've seen that looks like it could be our apocalypse.

I don't get the big deal with zombies. They move slowly and are easily defeated, so any outbreak could easily be quarantined or completely stopped within hours.

Robot apocalypse is what you've gotta worry about since eventually someone's gonna make some kind of robot that doesn't conform to the 3 laws.

If politics includes war (which, as Clausewitz says, is the continuation of politics by other means*), then there are plenty of films that include humanity smurfing itself over with politics. Dr. Strangelove is possibly the best, and certainly the funniest. Others include Failsafe, The Day After, and On the Beach.

Robot apocalypses, of course, are represented in the Terminator films, although some of these are better than others.

*Lenin, of course, memorably turned this famous quote around, and said that politics is the continuation of war by other means. Foucault said the same thing.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Quote Originally Posted by Denmark View Post
    I don't get the big deal with zombies. They move slowly and are easily defeated, so any outbreak could easily be quarantined or completely stopped within hours.
    The concept of Zombies originatd in Zambia where people use drugs to fake people's deaths and erase their memories and then turn thme into mindless drones for their personal uses like drug trafficking and prostitution. I learned that from a movie a bout a snake and rainbows or somethign.

Robot apocalypse is what you've gotta worry about since eventually someone's gonna make some kind of robot that doesn't conform to the 3 laws.
    We're more likely to suffer a pocalypse at the hands of aliens than we are to be attacked by robots anytime soon. Robots are stupid.