Thread: There's Taking A Game Concept...

Default There's Taking A Game Concept...

And then there's blatantly plagiarizing it.

Don't get me wrong. There are "clone" games out there that I enjoy and have no problem with, like Crash Team Racing and Playstation All Stars Battle Royale, since it takes a concept and introduces new elements to it and/or changes around the game world so it's not plagiarizing intellectual property. But ripping off character designs (like those angry tortoises and the red shirted protagonist with blue overalls and a red cap from 3D Cartoon Land Safari) and levels (every track on Mole Kart is taken directly from Mario Kart Wii) is crossing the line. The Master of Monsters game is okay I suppose, but borrows from Pokemon way too much (the attack types, the battle screen layout, the map screen layout).

The Mole Kart developers got caught and had to release a new version with altered tracks (if you ask me, copying Mario Kart tracks down to the last mushroom seems like more work and time than creating your own tracks).

Still, I can't help but chuckle a bit watching those videos. I can't explain why.

So what do you guys think of games like this? Do you have any games like this you want to share?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, here they have TV adds for phone game rip-offs. There's plants vs ghosts and something like angry birds only with forest animals.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

That is a really obvious rip off, I'm amazed. If they ever have any success then you can be sure that they'll take action!

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

There's a market for it. Those games aren't meant to be serious packages for you to buy and keep around for a long time, like the SCE games Evastio mentioned. I remember when we were in programming/computer clases in high school and they actually gave us internet, we would play a lot of games like these on addicting games or candy stand.

Plagiarius!
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.