View Poll Results: Who is the second best Star Trek captain?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kirk

4 28.57%
  • Sisko

6 42.86%
  • Janeway

2 14.29%
  • Archer

0 0%
  • Pike !

2 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is the Second Best Star Trek Captain?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Default Who is the Second Best Star Trek Captain?

Since everyone votes Picard the best, here's your chance to vote for the runner-up!

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sisko. The answer is Sisko.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I gotta give props to Kirk here. No, TOS probably wasn't even the second best series, but Kirk-Spock-Bones had some of the best dynamics of any Star Trek characters ever. Kirk traveled through space with troutty special effects and frequently troutty writing, and had to pull everything off based on the strength of his character, really. And all things considered, he did pretty damn well.

Plus, (SPOILER)KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

THONG TH-Thong thong thong

Your vote is Nelly? Oh, wait, tha's sissy-Qo. Sorry, all black rappers tend to blend together after a while.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I like it that we forgot Enterprise. That is good.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm going to have to go with Sisko. Sure, the Kirk-Bones-Spock triad was good, but when your two friends are cooler than you and regularly upstage you it's tough to make an argument that you're the second best Captain. Third sure, but not second. Sisko on the other hand was a basically Jesus to an entire race of people, and was absolutely not afraid to just smurf trout up when the situation called for it.

Plus the man punched Q. How much more badass can you get than punching an omnipotent being in the face?

Oh, and for anyone who's seen The Captains, Avery Brooks is either crazy or on some very good drugs.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

This was genuinely difficult because I really like Sisko as a captain (despite finding DS9 significantly lacking in entertainment value) but I also feel Janeway is just awesome. I've opted for Janeway because while she can't pack a wholloping punch and one could argue she is not as effective as a captain in general as Sisko might be, she was better in my experiences (I haven't seen the complete series of DS9) as a captain under pressure, as a captain who had to make difficult calls and generally just had a great mean streak to her. I also enjoyed her sense of humour.

Very hard choice, though. Oh, what's that? Kirk? Only if you count the recent movie. Shatner just never 'did it' for me.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    This was genuinely difficult because I really like Sisko as a captain (despite finding DS9 significantly lacking in entertainment value) but I also feel Janeway is just awesome. I've opted for Janeway because while she can't pack a wholloping punch and one could argue she is not as effective as a captain in general as Sisko might be, she was better in my experiences (I haven't seen the complete series of DS9) as a captain under pressure, as a captain who had to make difficult calls and generally just had a great mean streak to her. I also enjoyed her sense of humour.
    DS9>Voyager
    Sisko> a turd> Jack the Ripper> Janeway

You want a mean streak? Sisko punched Q, used biological warfare to beat a crew member who betrayed him, started a war with a more powerful alien race and proceeded to win that war at the cost of untold thousands of lives and hundreds of starships. He also all but arranged the assassination of a Romulan politician to bring them into said war, sent his future wife to prison. Plus, he not only had a Space Station which was held together with bits of string and chewing gum and fought off fleets with it, but he had a ship built for killing Borg back before Voyager cut their balls off, and the man has a great singing voice.

But if all of that weren't enough, he all but tells Picard to go smurf himself in the pilot. Any man with the balls to tell off Picard, regardless of how stupid that might be, is one tough son of a bitch.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I didn't see most of if not any of that. Did most of it happen in later seasons or something? Either way, circumstances or not, Janeway was simply more entertaining for me than Sisko. You seem to know a lot about Star Trek, so I'm guessing I don't need to list off the things she did. Just because she wasn't starting wars or finishing them (hard to do given her circumstances) doesn't mean she lacked a mean streak.

And no, it doesn't take a tough bastard to tell Picard to go smurf himself. Just an idiot. Not saying Sisko is an idiot because he isn't - but an idiot can quite happily tell Picard to go smurf himself, as I'm sure many have.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, but when you're not just telling off Picard, but are kind of justified in it, and have the balls to do it? Mans man right there.

But watch DS9 BoB. The first two seasons have their downsides, but once the Dominion is introduced things pick up fast. And I can't hold it against the series that the first two seasons are the worst considering TNG's first two seasons are painful to watch at times and it's the best Trek series out there.

As for Voyager, I honestly just could not stand that show or most of it's characters. I had a hard time putting my finger on it for much of it's run, but I think a lot of it had to do with having such a cool premise, then ignoring it completely 99% of the time. The year of hell story arc is actually one of my favourites because that should have been Voyager by the end of the series: on the brink of flying apart at the seams at any given moment with consoles exploding every five minutes with no where to put in for easy repairs.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I guess I just love Star Trek for the adventure, and Voyager was throwing it at me from every angle. My favourite story arc is probably when they went straight through Borg space, personally, but then I'm a sucker for anything to do with the Borg as they're just so damned fun (and by fun, I obviously mean the Borg are happy-go-lucky, jolliest of the jolly, smile like you mean it kind of guys/girls/things).

Either way, though, a good captain still needs to be a good captain. I think no matter how we look at it, all the captains were written to be great on some level.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I spent all day on this, but my number 2 captain is (SPOILER)

Kirk was a very good captain, and I think Archer could have been. I mean the story was there. The show just opted to ignore it.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

No love for Captain Sam Beckett? Ah well.

Sisko was an absolute badass, who frequently reminded me of all of the good qualities Captain Kirk had without the promiscuity and egotripping.