Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you choose your friends or do your friends choose you?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Do you choose your friends or do your friends choose you?

?

Enjoy The Silence FallenSilence's Avatar

I think with me it's a bit of both. I can be difficult to get to know properly and in that aspect I usually have to approach people to start up a conversation because a lot of people don't think that they can do so with me. On the other hand, I have certain qualities that apparently make me stand out and this attracts people with the same/compatible qualities more easily, and THESE types of people usually speak to me first.

In short, it's hard for me to make good friends but the ones I have are all the better for it.
    Should've Done Something
    But I've Done It Enough
    By The Way Your Hands Were Shaking
    Rather Waste My Time With You

Should've Said Something
    But I've Said It Enough
    By The Way My Words Were Faded
    Rather Waste My Time With You

Blog Entries

I think I definitely choose my friends. There's a lot of people I know I don't allow to get to know me, because I avoid them and am not necessarily honest to them when I speak with them.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

friends usually come to me. i'm not the best at approaching others.

I'm not a socializer, therefore anyone who admits to being my friend has to also admit they were on some level drawn to me for whatever reason that may not have an explanation. All that I know is I have perhaps 6 or so friends in life (only two or three of whom I communicate with regularly) though I've had perhaps a total of 20 or so sporadically throughout my life. Being anti-social, I for the most part, have no friends, at least none that live nearby. The closest friends I can communicate with regularly are the "friends" I have on this site. Though you're all mostly acquaintances who don't automatically shun me for my personality.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I choose whichever friends cost the least per hour to hire, so I guess it's me that chooses them.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I'm definitely more of a chooser, because I'm fairly picky about who I let close to me.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I'm not very good at making friends because I'm such a reclusive person. It's not because I dislike people, but just, well, I value my space.

I wouldn't mind getting to know a lot of the people here better (outside of just EoFF and Facebook) but I'm far too shy to take the initiative. It's the thought that counts?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pike, you're awesome.

I've been feeling much the same way recently.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I choose you, friends! Use tackle!

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I'm not very trusting of others deep down and, because of the type of person I am, I try not to spread myself too thin with the wrong kind of people. I definitely choose my friends and there are only three who I frequently interact with.

4444444444 4 4 444 44 4

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Most of my friends have kinda just happened or happened through mutual friends. Most often, I'd say other people tend to choose and I just kinda go with it because I like to give people the benefit of the doubt that they aren't horrible people. Luckily, most of them haven't been.

I think I can only recall one time me approaching someone and then us being friends. Usually it's them coming up to me or me being introduced to them through mutual people. I do have anxiety about meeting with new people. I'm not introverted if I'm around them enough though.

I could have become friends with James from college as he and I were very similar. However, his personality reminded me of who I was in high school, which was insanely creepy anti-social. So I stopped talking to him. Probably the only person on God's green Earth that I "kicked to the curb."
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Blog Entries

I somehow ended up with a ridiculous number of friends and acquaintances through doing a bunch of different kinds of work and now I have random people texting me at all hours asking if I want to hang out or go with them to their friends' barbecues and such. Which I would, if Sarah and I weren't so busy all the time. I'm the kind of guy that picks his friends because he has a complex about letting people get too close to him (also because there are a few kinds of people I just don't want to associate with because there's no way I want to deal with whatever drama and crap I know they will eventually drag me into) but I somehow ended up being very close to a huge number of people that I have very few things in common with. I guess having a large, eclectic group of friends is a good thing, but I can't feeling that I'm a little too close to some of those people.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default This is a FF site, people.

I got no friends because I like to cry at one corner of the orphanage thinking of my sister!!!
    Will anyone be my friend? I will save you just in case you fall off the cliff while looking for your dead mom in some creepy mountains!