Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stupid Return of the Jedi change!

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

I'm not even sure it's a case of wanting money, if he made the original editions available in any way he'd rake it in after all. I just think it's some OCD-type thing he's got with the whole series and never being totally satisfied.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by G13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Also the noise Ben Kenobi makes to scare off the sand people was changed and it shouldn't have been. Small tick, but it bothers me.
    This particular change is the least offensive to a lot of Star Wars geeks. Tusken Raiders are afraid of krayt dragons, and Obi-Wan was supposed to be mimicking a krayt mating call, but the original sound he made was of something else, so Lucas decided to retcon because, I mean, who doesn't know what a krayt mating call sounds like?
    I know it's not a big deal I watched the revised version, though, and was like HEY THAT'S NOT RIGHT and it has bothered me since!

I personally just like to watch this video and then everything makes sense.
    Star Wars: Luke's Father--Certain Point of View - YouTube

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I like the version where they replace everyone with ewoks and all the guns with walkie talkies.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Also the noise Ben Kenobi makes to scare off the sand people was changed and it shouldn't have been. Small tick, but it bothers me.
    This particular change is the least offensive to a lot of Star Wars geeks. Tusken Raiders are afraid of krayt dragons, and Obi-Wan was supposed to be mimicking a krayt mating call, but the original sound he made was of something else, so Lucas decided to retcon because, I mean, who doesn't know what a krayt mating call sounds like?

Lucas has said that all of the changes made were to finally bring his original vision of the films to life, as technology wasn't advanced enough in the late 70's/early 80's, but the addition of Hayden Buttholeson, among many other changes, really tore a hole in that statement. Doesn't hold up, and he's doing the exact same thing with the 3D releases of the NT. Dude just likes making money, and we're all stupid enough to keep giving it to him.
    Speak for yourself, I haven't purchased anything Star Wars in years.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    Speak for yourself, I haven't purchased anything Star Wars in years.
    Assuming Lego and Lightsabers count then I have bought Star Wars stuff in recent years. But movies? Last ones I bought were the re-releases that did have older cuts of the original trilogy in addition to the special editions. I don't even own the new trilogy.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I know it's not a big deal I watched the revised version, though, and was like HEY THAT'S NOT RIGHT and it has bothered me since!
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I find it annoying too. I just talk a lot when it comes to SW, you know that

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    I want the blu-ray edition!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Big Hands View Post
    This wasn't quite as bad as Greedo getting a shot off though.
    There should be a new cut where not only does Greedo not get a shot off but rather than blast him, Han stabs him in the throat. I'm not being an ass either, I really think that'd be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    I like some of the changes, such as with the sarlac pit.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if Lucas was murdered several decades ago and replaced with a look-alike. It would explain how he was able to make so many classic movies at one point while having all of his recent material turn out to be invariably crap.
    Why the hell won't that bastard make any of the post-Jedi novels into films or tv shows? My all-time favorite post is New Republic: Traitor. Just behind that is the YJK installment wherein Tenel Ka gets her arm raped off by Jacen's overpowering lightsabering.

Obi-Wan supposedly mimicking a krayt, but original was something else, Lucas retconned because who doesn't know what a krayt sounds like?

NT
    Wow. Just wow. Also, what's NT?
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

New trilogy.

Also, Mercen-X, Lucas has said that as far as he's concerned the Star Wars films are all there is to the story. The novels, comics, games, and show are all canon, but he's pretty much done with the series as far as movies go. It's more than a safe bet that the none of the novels will ever be made into films.

The Timothy Zahn trilogy would have been perfect for a new film series, way better than the troutty prequel trilogy. But no. Lucas had to write his own, crappy original story.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Lucas needs to be entombed.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

The Expanded Universe is generally better than the prequel trilogy in every conceivable way

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Crimson Empire, YJK, NJO, hell even Dark Forces, Shadows of the Empire, and Force Unleashed are all better than IIIIII.

If Lucas decides to release updates of the prequels that remove Binx, fix Jake Lloyd's, Hayden Christianson's, and Natalie Portman's horrendous acting (though Ewan McGregor also had some moments that made me grin for the wrong reasons)... it's possible that I'd buy those. The original trilogy which we now own on DVD, we own strictly because our vhs copies went to shight.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think the thing I understand the least about this change is, why wouldn't they remove Ben Kenobi and put in Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan? I mean, if you're going for their "young person" actor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    I think the thing I understand the least about this change is, why wouldn't they remove Ben Kenobi and put in Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan? I mean, if you're going for their "young person" actor.
    Probably just has to do with him returning to the Light side and that was his last form as a Jedi. Obi Wan never went bad. Or something, I don't know. That man is on crack.