Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

It just looks slightly less like a bad pun

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

I am greatly looking forward to being the first one to die horribly in a matchstick sized flame of glory. All aboard the Meaty Thigh train!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've updated my info. I look forward to dying so that few may live.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Guys we missed out on Ninja Turtling our characters in this!
    That's okay, we wouldn't want you to get left out. Again.
    Wasn't that because I said no because I was too busy doing solo legendary? I think so.
    You would rather try and fail miserably at the most boring and tedium inducing video game challenge in history as opposed to having a laugh with your friends in arguably the greatest EoFF video game escapade of all time?

You're a lonely man, Steve.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

If it ain't too late you can sign me up as a character

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    If it ain't too late you can sign me up as a character
    Not too late at all.

Starting soldier count is 12, which we have't hit yet. Max Soldier count is 99, which we will probably never hit. But we'll definitely use more than a single full team, as characters will die, get wounded, and generally be shifted around from mission to mission.

So even after the game's started, I'll let more people in, this is just to set up the initial team and get things rolling.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Guys we missed out on Ninja Turtling our characters in this!
    That's okay, we wouldn't want you to get left out. Again.
    Wasn't that because I said no because I was too busy doing solo legendary? I think so.
    You would rather try and fail miserably at the most boring and tedium inducing video game challenge in history as opposed to having a laugh with your friends in arguably the greatest EoFF video game escapade of all time?

You're a lonely man, Steve.
    Check my achievements Paul... I never failed miserably I bloody did it.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

It took you months. You couldn't take one night off from your busy schedule of being a loser to spend a few hours with your heroes?

So (since it seems I wasn't actually as excited about this game as I could be), I wound up watching The Avengers again.

And I came to a realization: The Avengers is basically XCOM with superheroes. I'm serious, go watch it. Notice things? SHIELD is dedicated to protecting humanity from extraterrestrial threats, they gather and reverse engineer alien technology for use by their own agents, they recruit elite agents, and they dispatch response teams all over the globe to combat threats. They even report to a shadowy council of people who sit in badly lit rooms and secretly rule the world.

Basically, SHIELD is XCOM. Except that we don't have guys like Thor and Iron Man, we just have, well, you guys. We kit you up as best we can, and we throw you into hell.

What would the world do to protect itself without superheroes? Let's find out. Two days to first contact!
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

In light of that realization, I think I'd like to change my nickname to Agent Coulson. I will die early on to give you all something to avenge.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

In light of this revelation you should change my last name from Starr to Stark. Honestly though, you have a good point. Let's hope we can win our fights without resorting to (SPOILER)throwing nukes through a worm hole.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    It took you months. You couldn't take one night off from your busy schedule of being a loser to spend a few hours with your heroes?
    Try a couple of weeks and I wasn't even on my 360 every night in those 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    In light of this revelation you should change my last name from Starr to Stark. Honestly though, you have a good point. Let's hope we can win our fights without resorting to (SPOILER)throwing nukes through a worm hole.
    Y'know, now that I think about it, the ending to The Avengers was also pretty similar to the ending of the original X-Com, though for different reasons.

(SPOILER)In The Avengers wiping out the command ship apparently eliminates the power and/or life of the alien attack force, ending the invasion.

In the original X-Com, you destroy the Alien Brain, and, again, the invasion ends almost automatically. Not because of a loss of power or the aliens simply all getting killed, but because the Alien Brain is the literal mind of the invasion, the tool the Ethereals crafted to direct their mind-controlled slaves and coordinate/control the entire invasion. Without the Brain, they lose control of the slaves and the invasion falters immediately.

Definitely a weakness in alien invasion plans. Always have a backup.

XComGame 2012-10-09 12-43-57-61.jpg

First team photo. Haven't completed the tutorial yet, so still have quite a ways to go. And I gave Jiro an Iron Man-esque color scheme.

No females on the team, so our first Assault trooper is just a placeholder right now.

I actually got pretty lucky, the character who was set to be Connor MacLeod is Scottish.

And our first character death already. Woohoo! Our Rookies panicked due to a Thin Man poison cloud, and our lady friend show Jiro in the head, and since I didn't have a medkit with me, he bled out. Not a full update, and don't worry, Jiro, we'll get you a replacement soon enough. And I don't think I'll be taking her anymore.

Actually, at this rate, I think I'm going to restart and do it again without the tutorial. While it is a nice introduction, it is way too restrictive. So, I apologize to you all, but it will be a little longer before I get things going here.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 10-09-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Resident Fire Emblem Fan Elite Lord Sigma's Avatar

Well, pusbucket. You didn't even have time to get my armor colored offensively orange before the situation went south.