Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Olympic Event! Most unfortunate way to die!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Josef is supported by three others in his Soul of Rebirth journey. Would you like me to write an argument supporting them for you?

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Hang on with the deadline, I've spent so much time doing coursework and other school stuff that I haven't even started my essay. Please give time, it shall be done over the weekend hopefully.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Jiro should just debate with himself, tbh.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

What team are you from, Shauna? I'll give you an argument to use against me

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

FFX, the team that you tried to defame.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Well you are doing well

Articles
    Blog Entries

Smile Minwu: Tale Of A White Mage

Team Final Fantasy XIII's Argument
    Here goes, I hope this is half decent...

I am not here to debate whether or not any of these characters is worthy of being labelled as “great”. In my eyes, all of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for the Wild Rose Rebellion are a righteous hero in their own rights. Josef and the others certainly proved their undying devotion to the party when they sacrificed themselves, however I believe my candidate offers the fundamental edge because of the wisdom and enlightened thinking he offers Firion throughout their time together, and his name is Minwu.

Minwu hails from the mystic town of Mysidia, a town well known for the amount of power they possess. In fact, in one of the annals in the town library, it is said thus:

Fearing that tremendous power they wielded might lead the world to destruction, the mages of old founded a settlement in Mysidia and dwelt there in seclusion."

Such power can often corrupt people, the Emperor being just one example, or perhaps Edea from Final Fantasy VIII. Not Minwu. No, Minwu used his tremendous magical capabilities for the forces of good, and to serve his master to the best of his ability. Minwu spent his days as a healer for the sick, perhaps the most noblest of professions. A white mage, Minwu served Princess Hilda, voluntarily assisting Princess Hilda to set up the Wild Rose Rebellion base in Altair. When he found Firion and his friends callously beaten by the Black Knights Minwu had no hesitation in helping mere strangers. While I believe Josef was a good man, he was at first cold and reticent towards the party, only helping when they freed his fellow Salamand villagers. Minwu has no such qualms; he assists the party from their first encounter.

One of my appeals to Minwu’s character is his understated sense of resilience. While he possesses great power he is humble in its display. Minwu is fully devoted to his newfound friends, and it makes his eventual death all the more tragic and unfortunate. Minwu is the epitome of loyal and devoted servant. He gives his own life in the breaking of the seal which holds back the ultimate tome, Ultima. He sacrifices his own life gracefully and without any second thought; Minwu truly fights for the greater good.

But his journey does not end in our world. Minwu later awakens in a mysterious passage that is similar to the Jade Passage. Traversing this strange new world with Prince Scott, he later encounters Josef and Ricard Highwind. It is here that he learns he is in the passage to heaven, known as Raqia. This is an important development; why is Minwu the first to awaken and therefore the first to be playable (Indeed, the walking sprite is that of Minwu)? For me, I believe this leads Minwu to be the main protagonist of this side story, which made his death more notable because it leads directly to the next chapter of his tale. Minwu is the most important character out of the alliance of four in “Soul of Rebirth”, and this leads me to believe his death is the most unfortunate.

To conclude then, Minwu may be a mere “temporary” character, but he is the only character whose death is a major blow to the party. Would Josef travel with the party after they leave his town? Would Leila accompany them throughout the game? Minwu is the character who you can trust to guide you through Pandemonium and back, and even if he is not actively part of your party, he is working behind the scenes to assist you. Minwu has also broken boundaries, being the first male white mage has vastly improved occupational gender relations. Because of Minwu’s groundbreaking rule, Noel from XIII-2 can be a medic without sniggers from closed minded peers. Likewise, Faris from Final Fantasy V can feel comfortable as a pirate cross-dresser and maintain a strong, serious, sword swinging archetype instead of the otherwise feminine magical ladies of old.

In short, Minwu’s death is perhaps the most unfortunate of all.
    Last edited by Formalhaut; 10-07-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Entries for this are done, if I get a chance to think about this after all the prep I have to do before the exterminator comes tomorrow, I will announce the winner. If I don't it will be done by Friday night.

Articles
    Blog Entries

And the winner is... ( mine has more reputation, hint hint :riiight: )

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It was close, I really loved both arguments! I was afraid I might be partial to Josef right away, his death being such a tragedy, however Formalhaut's Minwu argument was so compelling. And in the end this quote:

Minwu has also broken boundaries, being the first male white mage has vastly improved occupational gender relations. Because of Minwu’s groundbreaking rule, Noel from XIII-2 can be a medic without sniggers from closed minded peers. Likewise, Faris from Final Fantasy V can feel comfortable as a pirate cross-dresser and maintain a strong, serious, sword swinging archetype instead of the otherwise feminine magical ladies of old.
    Had so much originality I had to give it to him! Good job Formalhaul, 20 points for Team FFXIII taking the gold. Team FFVI, takes silver, 10 points for them!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Congrats Formalhaut! I thought you wrote an excellent argument too.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Ah thanks guys! I really loved doing this, even if I was slightly apprehensive with researching on a game I've never played. This means I'm a triple gold winner!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Ah thanks guys! I really loved doing this, even if I was slightly apprehensive with researching on a game I've never played. This means I'm a triple gold winner!
    Probably means you should play and beat the game now

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

At least play up until the bit where (SPOILER)Minwu dies