3. Final Fantasy IX
    4. Persona 4
    5. Panzer Dragoon Saga
    6. Phantasy Star II
    7. Phantasy Star IV
    8. Final Fantasy XII
    9. Dark Chronicle
    10. Final Fantasy VI

Panzer Dragoon Saga will unfortunately be clouded in obscurity forever due to being on the Saturn. Shame.

Found the time to explain my list:

1: Dark Souls
    Everything about this game has been developed with so much care. Every item, character, enemy and event has meaning, and has been placed with utmost thought and focus. The game teaches you so much without the use of words. The feeling of solitude is ridiculously powerful; it really takes immersion to the next level. NPC's feel like instant friends when you meet them, even the evil ones. And there's super innovative online play I'd never seen in a game. Ah, I could talk about this game all day.

2: FFX (was #1 for almost a decade :0 )
    The themes covered in the story are on par with 1984, or even more significant. The pacing and design are truly amazing, the sense of grandness matched by very few games. The world is immersive as hell, and the ending gets all my praise.

3: Vagrant Story
    Never heard better sound design than Vagrant Story. Oh what glory when that Great Axe slices through opponents. Like Dark Souls; everything has been placed with thought and care. The weapon system is deep and the developers weren't afraid of killing off characters. I always respect that.

4: Deus Ex: Human Revolution (as far as it's considered an RPG)
    Freedom! Gadgets! Creative problem-solving! Some very atmospheric moments. Loved every bit of it.

5: FFT (even though I don't own it : ( used to play this on a friend's PSP)
    Once again respect for developers staying away from happy endings. The story is fantastic and feels real due to all the death and misery. Delita, thou are epic. FFT makes you think about morals and relates to problems in today's world.

6: Valkyria Chronicles
    Fun and challenging tactical gameplay. Bonds with characters are done exceptionally well.

7: FFIX
    Magical world, very atmospheric. Once again, moral dilemma's and themes relating to problems of the modern world.

8: Pokémon Blue
    Loved it as a kid. Great adventure.

9: Demon's Souls
    The roots of Dark Souls' strong points are also found in Demon's Souls, though in raw form. Still, respect!

10: If Zelda counts as RPG, does Okami count too?
    Okami would be one of my favourite games if it weren't for Issun's endless yapping. He removes all challenge in puzzles and never lets you figure out the story on your own. I like to think Okami would be a masterpiece if all words were removed from the game.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

okami is the best zelda game ever

Articles
    Blog Entries

10. Pokemon Red: It's contribution to gaming was huge, it brought one of the addicting parts of RPGs to its extreme, since you essentially have 150 characters to level up, maybe minus their evolves. Its strengths don't go as crazy as the others though so it's my number 10.

09. Final Fantasy XII: this game goes there just on the strength of its scope. Exploring the beautiful environments, mapping out every area, and chaining for fun and profit makes this game a heavy hitter on its own. I actually really like the story and characters a whole lot as well and the fact that this is the only fully realized Matsuno world makes it one of the most special video games of all time.

08. Shining Force I/II: Shining Force II was the first RPG I ever completed and I'm lumping them together since they each have different strengths on essentially the same idea. Some games have better stories, some games have deeper combat, but the excellent art, unique presentation, and VINTAGE Sega Genesis soundtrack makes this a unique experience. The story and combat are straightforward without being dumbed down and this is one of the pioneers of the SRPG genre, and probably the only real "must play" of the originators.

07. Final Fantasy IX: The ninth installment represents the entire series to me. It still has that "new FF" magic feeling whenever I put it in. The production value of the cutscenes outclass most HD games today. Sluggish combat and lack of risk taking holds it back though.

06. Valkyria Chronicles: Such an original game, a truly innovative title in our time. The fantasy WWII setting is easy to get into but gets progressively darker and more serious as the plot progresses, to a climax that appraoches horror. We all have our preferences as to what is better, but I think Valkria Chronicles edges out Demon's Souls as the most important RPG of this generation. It was a revolution before our very eyes.

05. Dragon Quest VIII: So these are the heavy hitters and I would nominate DQVIII for best RPG of all time any day of the week. The fact that it's a fully realized NES game makes it a miraculous experience all on its own. But it's epic-length, endless secrets, and interesting take on the DQ class-progress system reinforce what a monumental game this was and potentially the last classic DQ. What a way to go out.

04. Final Fantasy Tactics: I got high when I played this game. Final Fantasy Tactics is a game that can get you high if you play it. The story, artwork, and music are just too damn good. It's also a well done deeply customizable SRPG. You can't pass this game up if you play RPGs....

03. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together: ...but this is the Quest/Ivalice team's magnum opus. It nails the entertainment aesthetics just as hard as FFT, if not harder. But it also has better balanced classes and systems. It also has better enemy progression. And customization is more endless when you break down the barriers of classes and ability slots and let the player build a character with any abilities and passives they want. Oh, and it takes all that and puts it in a game with branching storylines, multiple endings, hell, even multiple sidequest paths depending on the decisions you make. It also has some of the most insane optional dungeons ever in gaming. Pound for pound, I don't think any game can stand next to Let Us Cling Together.

02. Dragon Quest V: Yet I still put DQV ahead of it for what it did in gaming. I'm not even going to get into why I like the story and characters because it's a special experience that every RPG player should encounter on their own. But the reason Dragon Quest has become the juggernaut it is is because of its unmatched perfection in balancing accessibility and challenge. The enemies progress in a way that makes levelling up a tangible, meaningful experience, not just the addiction factor most games rely on. The puzzles are novel, but just hard enough to give you that "a-ha!" moment. And exploration is done in that beautiful illusion of non-linearity, with you finding the next town just off your own intuition alone. And DQV is an exemplar of all those philosophies. This is the best 2D RPG I've ever played.

01. Final Fantasy VII It's the best-paced video game ever made. It has sounds and visuals that you will not see in another game. Its introduction of seamless transitions from cutscene to gameplay and back revolutionized storytelling in video games, blurring the line between story and gameplay. I don't think we would have had a Half-Life if it weren't for Final Fantasy VII. Every action game on current-generation HD consoles struggles and strives to do what Final Fantasy VII did in 1997. Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nobuo Uematsu both called it a giant leap in gaming. It also has the most responsive and best choreographed combat in the series, and that's why it's my favorite Final Fantasy and my #1 RPG of all time.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    I don't think we would have had a Half-Life if it weren't for Final Fantasy VII.
    Oh Bolivar. You crack me up.

As for my list, I think I'll need some more time to think. In no particular order for now though:

FFVI: As much as I fully admit that the battle system could use some work to say the least, this is still one of the greatest RPG's ever made. An absolutely massive cast compared to most later FF titles, yet they all get more than enough time to have their character moments and develop believably. It tackled some pretty mature themes as well, including the world actually ending and suicide. It also can lay claim to being surprisingly non-linear in it's second half, something very few JRPG's I've played have ever attempted, let alone accomplished so well.

Persona 3: It's unfortunate that I won't be playing Persona 4 until Christmas because I'd love to see how it compares to this. Great story, wonderful characters, fun combat, incredible atmosphere (seriously, parts of this game are as unnerving as a lot of horror games), and a kickass soundtrack. Square needs to pay more attention to what Atlus has been doing because one of the two companies is still making great RPG's, and I say this as someone who's mostly fallen out of love with the genre these days.

FFT: What Raistlin said mostly. Plus MILF hates it and I enjoy throwing my love for it in his face while questioning his sanity.

FFXII: Whatever anyone wants to say about the pacing issues, this was the best FF title I've played in years. An absolutely massive world, a more believable politically driven plot, likeable characters, and the best battle system the series has had since maybe FFV if we exclude Tactics. I've literally just sat for hours on end doing mark hunts because combat is that compelling, and I can barely stand to sit through most of the older games now.

More to come later.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Right, time to chuck my love spuds on the barbeque...

10) Final Fantasy VIII - It was always going to be difficult following VII but despite a few big flaws I think it was really well delivered title. Some truly outstanding FMV for it's time.

9) Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow - Dangerously addictive and great fun. I've played a few incarnations of Pokemon but the original was still the best for me.

8) Final Fantasy X - Again, there a quite a few big flaws with this one but I still think this game is extremely well put together considering it was the first full 3D Final Fantasy. Plus, it has my favourite mini game of all time in Blitzball. I thought the turn-based battle system was great too.

7) Xenoblade Chronicles - I wasn't going to include this as I'm not even half way through it yet but it truly is outstanding. I love the expansive environments and it has an awesome soundtrack.

6) Alundra - I adored this game when it came out. It was very Zelda-esque in style and the story was great. Having a character that could enter people's dreams was a fantastic idea. I mean lets face it, if it wasn't for Alundra then there would be no 'Inception'... probably.

5) Final Fantasy VI - I came to this game very late. Last year, in fact. I played it after recommendations from EOFF and now really regret not buying it when it came out. I can see why this is a lot of people's favourite in the series. Amazing story, great villain and really charismatic cast.

4) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - After waiting six years since ALTTP was released this had to be good. It was ridiculously so... it looked fabulous even with the N64's grainy graphics. May not be considered a true RPG but this game accomplished so much and did it pretty much flawlessly.

3) Secret of Mana - Just a beautiful game. Fantastic music and I loved the combat element. I remember almost buying 'Alien 3' for the SNES instead of this game... I chose wisely.

2) Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Again, probably not considered a true RPG, especially considering I can ace this game in under four hours... but for me it counts. I just think think it is perfectly designed and lots of fun to play.

1) Final Fantasy VII - Still for me the greatest game I have ever played. The story had everything... War, magic, death, love, humour, bestiality, cross-dressing... everything. Sometimes I wish I could go back to being 15 so I can experience it for the first time... again.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> My top 10 favs..

1 Valkyrie Profile
    My dream RPG, I just love everything in that game..

2 Xenoblade Chronicles
    This is how RPGs should be made..

3 Suikoden 1
    Epic Nostalgia..

4 Final Fantasy 1
    Nostalgia..

5 Final Fantasy 9
    Nostalgia revisited..

6 Suikoden 2
    Another example of how RPGs should be made..

7 Chrono Trigger
    Sakaguchi, Toriyama and Uematsu..

8 Final Fantasy 10
    A real "Fantasy" world..

9 Any Disgaea game.
    400+ hours of gameplay. Only a few RPGs (if not the only), can do that..

10 Lunar 1 and 2
    Fun game, great characters, hot girls, bromides, neat anime cutscenes, and a pink cat..

Honorable mention to Front Mission 2 and SaGa Frontier 2..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Articles
    Blog Entries

I decided I should go into more detail...

Warning: LONG!

(SPOILER)
    10. Ultima IV

1985, Apple II
    The goal is simple: be a good person. Sounds easy right? It's not. This is a game of hard decisions. Ethical and moral decisions specifically, but it's all in the name of goodness. You start of as a character with a class based on the results of a personality quiz, with each class representing a certain moral. Your job is to go out in the world and become an almost saintlike example of virtue. It's not easy though.

In many ways, this is the only RPG that discourages killing everything you see. You have to show mercy. If a monster flees, let them. In order to show valor, you need to continue fighting until the bitter end. And that's essentially the plot and goal. Be good. The gameplay isn't amazing, nor are the graphics or the music. However, Ultima IV is a rare example of a game that is both so open-ended and yet so focused. It's a game with something to say, and in the 1980's, that was quite rare indeed.

9. Deus Ex

2000, Windows
    This is a game of options. Part RPG, part FPS, and part Adventure title, Deus Ex is a game about finding solutions to things. Are you one to use stealth or do you run in guns a-blazing? With cool character and weapon customization systems, Deus Ex gives player a variety of options and rewards creativity and ingenuity.

The setting and presentation is fantastic as well, as the game presents itself in an immersive and inventive way. The HUD and interface is almost entirely presented through the eyes of the mechanically-enhanced protagonist. With a rich lore and stylish setting, Deus Ex is a landmark in RPG's.

8. Final Fantasy VII

1997, Playsation
    Adored. Parodied. Mocked. Analyzed. Studied. This is epitome of the cinematic JRPG. With a cool Blade Runner-esque visual style and cinematic presentation, Final Fantasy VII employed an anime-inspired look and feel unlike anything else. Only the plot of the game matches the originality of its look. Constantly keeping you guessing, Final Fantasy VII's story is intricate, shocking, and moving, and the first truly science-fiction entry in the series.

This title is often overlooked in the gameplay department, which is a shame. This is a game that rewards exploration and experimentation. With optional characters, superbosses, and a wide selection of abilities, FFVII managed to weave in a degree of non-linearity into the otherwise straight-line JRPG mechanics. The character development system was open but required tactical thinking, rewarding detail-orientated players. In my opinion, FFVII has one of the best character advancement systems in the series. The soundtrack is awesome too.

Unfortunately, FFVII has garnered a certain degree of backlash in recent years, specifically regarding the plot and characters. I find this backlash to be mostly unfair. The plot and characters have been "expanded on" so much in the Compilation that they've become jokes of their original versions, specifically Cloud. A tragedy, considering there is a rich an original plot behind all the mockery. I mean without this game, how could we have Citizen Kane?

7. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

2006, Playstation 2
    Tragedy. This is a tragic game. Indeed, every aspect of this game is tragic. Tragic characters, tragic plotlines, and a very tragic ending (probably one of the best in gaming). But with tragedy comes hope, and the cycle of tragedy and hope is excellently implemented in this title from Atlus. The music is a cool fusion of rock and rap blended with moving symphonic scores. The art design is loaded with personality but has a certain feeling of dread to it.

With a deep and fun turn-based battle system and an open-ended visual-novel style social element, P3 has been the best example of a JRPG with choice and freedom. The character advancement both as a combatant and as an individual are open and up to the player. The plot branches off in many directions, being both moving while keeping you on your toes.

In short, Persona 3 emphasizes the "role" in role-playing game. These are very well-crafted and engaging characters and stories, and yet it is up to you on how you wish to interact with it. The game rarely "punishes" you, it invites you into its world and let's you do what you want. Or, as Igor says is, "you are our guest".

6. Final Fantasy IX

2000, Playstation
    This was my first FF, and it was an excellent way to get me sucked into the series. This game was enchanting. The style was whimsical and charming, but it never felt childish. The music was filled with emotion and personality. The locations and characters were bright and colorful, but could also be dark and somber. This game was both charmingly simple and yet very much dark in theme and tome.

The combat system was a return to the classic 4-person party formula, and the more streamlined character advancement was surprisingly fun while giving you a variety of options and choices. More than any other FF it had the best sidequests and minigames, giving you a variety of ways to kill your time in an already epic game.

FFIX is most unique in its plot. Unlike the other PS1-era FF's, Final Fantasy IX has a friendly and amiable protagonist who starts the game as ethical virtuous. He matures naturally and has demons to overcome, but he never lets it define him. This is a game about identity. Characters dealt troutty cards in life and yet they refuse to be defined by them. Because of this, FFIX is a splendidly satisfying experience. Final Fantasy IX is just a joy to behold.

5. Planescape: Torment

1999, Windows
    If you've ever argued whether or not games are art and haven't played this game, than you have no credibility. Sorry. This is the best evidence of games as art I could ever bring up. This is a game of choice. Not just as a gameplay device, but as a theme. You can literally not kill a single person in this game and beat it. You can die a million time in one session without saving and beat it.

This isn't a game about combat so much as discovery. You are The Nameless One. You awaken in a mortuary. You have no recollection of who you are and yet many people you meet remember you, for better or for worse. You need to discover the multiple past lives you've lived and determine your future. You have done many things. Some great, some horrible. Yet it's up to you how you wish to be defined.

The plot is smurfing unlike anything I've ever seen. This is the type of story only games could tell and it's a shame so few have played it. The music is excellent and atmospheric. The characters are memorable. The art style is amazing. These things are all both great and yet, completely smurfed up. This game is weird, bizarre, disturbing, and haunting. In short, it's a game that change you. It's philosophical and even spiritual at times. It's fine art.

4. Chrono Trigger

1995, Super Nintendo
    This game got everything right. The story, the battle system, the world, the music, the visuals, the characters. Everything. This game has virtually no flaws. An epic time-traveling adventure with multiple endings, Chrono Trigger is just epic, truly one of the best examples of adventure, wonder, and discovery I've seen in a game.

The battle system is fast-paced and strategic, with a variety of moves and spells to use. This game had probably the best battle system on the list, with a heart-pounding speed and well-designed enemies. The bosses, in particular, were grand. Also, the lack of random battle was unique.

Perhaps the biggest strength of this game, though, was how well-crafted the plot was. There were multiple time periods and characters that each contributed to one gloriously nuanced plot. Hell, a major villain could join your party. The main character could die and the game continues on. This was a game with balls, and it took risks that allows it to hold up to RPG-lovers to this day.

3. Fallout 2

1998, Windows
    I just clocked in over sixty hours into this game. I defeated Frank Horrigan. I just saw the results of the actions my characters took. Some flourished, some failed. I get a bittersweet feeling that all of the actions I took contributed to their respective fates. Finally, in a prophetic voice, I hear Ron Perlman utter a single phrase: "War. War never changes."

This is THE Fallout. Bethesda's Fallout 3 comes nowwhere close to how Black Isle made this masterpiece. Never before has a gameworld been so organic, reacting to the player's every action. Never has there been a gameworld so detailed, so established, and so...bleak. This a world in which there is little hope. And yet the world is capable of being saved.

Fallout 2 isn't just gameworld, though. The Cold War propaganda is cool and unique, the voice acting is excellent with many celebrities providing voices. The character advancement is awesome as well, giving you a variety of ways to develop your character, with just as much non-combat solutions as combat ones.

2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

2000, Windows
    Most of you have not experienced this gem, which is a crime, as this is one of the best games ever made. Period. This game has it all. An astoundingly epic score, a genius plot, dyanamic and fascinating characters, a huge and evolving gameworld, and the best writing in any game, ever. There, I said it. The best written game of all time.

This game could have easily been Number 1. Hell, it might be the greatest RPG ever minus a few minor flaws. However, this is a truly epic, large-scale game. The plot is a twisting, turning, puzzle dealing with life, death, fate, and purpose. It shocks and moves you and yet is very much non-linear in its narrative. It has a fantastic cast of characters that could can interact with. And it has one damn smurfing creppy villain.

The combat is intense, brutally hard, and deep, yet never feels unfair because of the wide amount of party configurations, spells, equipment, and abilities. The audio and graphics are top-notch, too. The voice acting is stellar, the music ranges from subtle and atmospheric to intense and dramatic without ever missing. The game is frightening at times, even full of despair. Yet it has enough humor and positive energy to make it a sweeping adventure that pulls at every emotion. This is the definitive PC epic.

1. Final Fantasy VI

1994, Super Nintendo
    What is there to say? This is the best game in the best series of RPG's the world has ever seen. Kefka's laugh. Celes' singing. Ultros. Terra. This game is the greatest game I have ever played. It changes you. This is a that shares elemnts with many of the other games on this list yet rises above them.

The combat and character advancement is deep and involving. The gameworld is huge and full of secrets. The music is the best in a game. The writing is great. However, what FFVI does with its writing is something that few games, especially JRPG's, gets right is the power of showing, not telling. There is relatively little dialogue in this game compared to the rest on this list, yet is is more powerful and resonant. This is a game that is so captivating, so moving, and yet never oversteps its bounds in storytelling. It's subtle. For example, Kekfa's mental anguish is only hinted at, and yet gives a whole new dimension to the character. They don't give him a tragedy, yet with one smurfing line he gains motivation and depth.

The game's ending is stellar. The game's intro is stellar. The game's huge shift about halfway through, both in world, style, and mood, is stellar and also one of the most profound and groundbreaking plot twists in gaming. This game is one of the first RPG's with a female lead and it does it spectacularly while still giving other character depth, backstory, and development.

This is the greatest game I have ever played and it's a shame other titles have overshadowed it. Play it. Now.
    Last edited by Laddy; 10-25-2012 at 12:37 PM.

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

1) Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1 & 2

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Final Fantasy VII

Tales of Symphonia

Tales of Vesperia

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons

Pokemon Red/Blue

Golden Sun

10) Star Ocean: The Last Hope

1) Final Fantasy IX
    2) Chrono Cross
    3) Final Fantasy VII
    4) Xenoblade Chronicles
    5) Final Fantasy XII
    6) Kingdom Hearts I
    7) Xenosaga III
    8) Chrono Trigger
    9) Vagrant Story
    10) Zelda: Ocarina of Time

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Blog Entries

Why isn't anyone mentioning Dragon Age Origins? Aside from the FF series which I grew up with, DAO is probably one of the best RPGs out there. The levelling up based on stats needed some work (which they addressed in DAII) but overall, it was a really enjoyable and immersive experience.
    And although it was limited by its console, the Golden Sun series were an absolute joy to play . The use of Djinns to alter base character strengths were fun to play around with and the puzzles had just the right level of difficulty.

Blog Entries

Okay, if I was totally honest, all the Breath of Fire games would take the list, and like three FF games. The other two slots would be Grandia and maybe Star Ocean 2. So what I'll do is only include one of each and put some other favorite RPGs in. This list isn't necessarily in order, though BoFIII is my favorite of all time.

1. Breath of Fire III
    2. Grandia
    3. Final Fantasy IX
    4. Persona 4
    5. Tales of Rebirth
    6. Golden Sun 2
    7. Namco X Capcom
    8. Shining Force III
    9. Star Ocean 2
    10. Blue Dragon

Honorable mentions: all the other BoF games, Grandia 2 and Xtreme, Shining Force 1 and 2, Shining Force EXA, Lost Odyssey, Last Remnant, Tales of Destiny 2 (the real one, not Eternia), Samurai Shodown RPG, Eternal Filena, Dragon Quest VII, VIII, and IX, Star Ocean First Departure, Mega Man X Command Mission, all the MMBN games except 4 and 5, Granbo, El Dorado Gate, Paper Mario series, Fallout 3
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

In no particular order:

Chrono Trigger (actually, CT is my favourite)
    Final Fantasy IX
    Shadow Hearts
    Lunar: SSSC
    Knights of the Old Republic (really - no one's mentioned this yet?)
    Pokemon Silver
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VI
    Fallout: New Vegas
    Mass Effect

There are quite a few honourable mentions that only just missed out (Kingdom Hearts and FFIV, for instance) but I'm reasonably happy with the mix on that list. From the ones others have mentioned, I'm glad to see that Grandia II and Lunar: SSSC have had a few mentions. The latter may not be the greatest game in the world, but I think it has a number of stand-out qualities (such as some rather excellent music) that I think make it rather overlooked these days.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Knights of the Old Republic
    Funny you should mention it as this is a great game. I put as one of my honorable mentions despite my love for it and was thinking about picking it up again. I think this game and its sequel are perfect examples of what Bioware and Obsidian do well. I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but this great is just epic.

10. Chrono Cross

9. Shadow Hearts

8. Secret of Mana

7. Final Fantasy V

6. Seiken Densetsu 3

5. Final Fantasy IX

4. Dragon Quest V

3. Suikoden II

2. Chrono Trigger

1. Final Fantasy VI

Order subject to change upon mood, but #1 and #2 are pretty much locked. #3, #4, and #5 are roughly tied and the others are slightly below them.

May write about these later if I feel like it.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)