Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: If you could kill one gaming franchise what would it be?

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's simple; kill the Batman...

Arkham games. Asylum was excellent, City was alright, so presumably Super Arkham World will be cack.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Big Hands View Post
    Assassins Creed.

*Ducks Wolf's hate*
    Too bad you didn't see mine coming from behind.

Resident Evil. Not just the games, the movies too. Retribution was awful!
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    Assassins Creed.

*Ducks Wolf's hate*

Your hate doesn't really phase me though, so I wasn't to worried about it.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    Assassins Creed.

*Ducks Wolf's hate*

Your hate doesn't really phase me though, so I wasn't to worried about it.
    My hate has a katana.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've honestly had to debate this question cause as much as I complain, I don't hold that much animosity towards any particular series or genre. If I had to kill franchises it's for personal reasons...

Metal Gear Solid - I really love the series, MGS3 is easily one of my favorite games of all time and Peace Walker is brilliant, but the series needs to die. Not because the series is in a downhill spiral, but because I would like the series to retire on a high note before Kojima spends the next 15 years churning out sequels for it and becomes bitter about the industry like Kenji Inafune and reading some of his interviews, he sounds like he's heading in that direction. Not to mention that even Kojima is going to start running out of ideas eventually and the series will begin to get weaker and dumber. I'd rather see it end on a high note. It helps that there really isn't anything left to talk about for the series unless MGS5 is going to be a prequel about the Boss (which would actually be really cool) or Kojima retcons MGS4's ending for Snake and revitalizes him with nanomachines so he can start a new story arc, but that idea just sounds terrible. The point is that Snake's story has run its course and it's time to let him rest before he becomes Konami's version of Mario or worse, Capcom's version of Mega Man. Speaking of which...

Resident Evil - seriously, you need to drop Umbrella Corp and come up with some new way to create zombie apocalypse, I mean how many zombie apocalypses can one evil megacorp cause before the U.N. is going to step in have them exterminated? Even Shin-Ra doesn't have as good of PR as UC does. You really should have taken the opportunity that RE4 gave you and give the series a fresh start instead of dragging everyone back into the bulltrout of the previous games. So RE7 better not have UC or any of it's affiliates or you should lay the series to rest.

Silent Hill - Same issue, you need to get rid of The Order and stop torturing Alessa/Cheryl/Heather Mason cause how many times can you retell the plot of SH1? You should have taken a clue from SH2 and instead focused character dramas facing their real life demons in a spooky town called Silent Hill rather than later entries that always make everything tie back into the cult from the first game. Just be rid of them and their plot to resurrect their doomsday cult god and let's all move on with our lives, I'm sure if you put your heads together you can make something just as scary without the backlog of convulated nonsense. Though SH: Homecoming was a nice twist on the cult.

Fabula Nova Crystallis - Here's what you need to do Squenix, cancel Lightning Returns and just make some bulltrout DLC ending for XIII-2 starring Lightning or just don't. Tell everyone in your in-house development to stop what they are doing and put their projects on hold. Pull them all together and make them finish Versus XIII by holiday season of next year (I'm trying to be realistic) after 6 years of development there cannot possibly be any kind of new idea that should be introduced into this game by this stage of development. If you have to lock Nomura into a closet cause he can't stop being an "artist" about every little detail of the game then so be it. I would like to see this game before my hypothetical children have their own hypothetical demon spawn children. I don't care if it has to be rushed and unfinished, it's never stopped you before and if it was going to be any good, I figure six years is more than enough time to show the "meat and potatoes" of the grand design. We as fans are big enough to forgive a lack of polish if the core of the game is good, I mean that was practically every game you made in the PS1 generation.

After this is done, decide if you are going to translate Type-0, then put it to rest. Don't bother waiting for the Vita to get popular, cause it's a few years worth of games away from having an exceptionable gaming library and it needs a price drop before average consumers are going to pay attention. We all have PSPs, just translate that version and be done with it. Once that is done, kill FNC and let us all agree to never speak of this Compilation experiment again. Just make Nomura start working on KH3, and get everyone else back on current projects and FFXV. Thank you.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Keiji Inafune became jaded because he was making alarmingly mediocre imitations of Western games and got upset when Capcom just wanted to make fighting games instead.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

He was also upset cause he got trapped dealing with the corporate aspect of the business, which he never cared for, something Kojima has also mentioned being forced to do for Konami with similar annoyance. Both guys have said they wish they could just make a game they wanted rather than have to deal with marketing and the top brass.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    This is silly, or need I remind you that you are posting on a Final Fantasy forum? A series that has spawned 14 games, many of which have had very similar systems (Job System, III, V, X-2), Turn-based (I-III), ATB (V-IX, XIII), FFXII is the most unique game of the series really. Look at the newest CoD and compare it to CoD II, if you tell me those are the same, then you just hate FPS and don't really have a right in that conversation.
    I have an article written showing the evolution of the battle system in the Final Fantasy series. There are always major changes. Always. Also something to remember is that Final Fantasy helped shape the RPG genre; Call of Duty has only been a recent addition. I'm not going to argue that it hasn't had some impact but my experience lies outside of CoD so it's not something I'd be comfortable arguing either way. Still, don't try and say the battle systems are the same.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

The beat 'em up genre in general. I miss the PS2/GC/XBOX glory days where Beat 'em ups had your standard arcade and versus modes but they also had fun little challenge modes and adventure modes and ludicrous rules modes and more unlockables than a vault.

Fast forward to Soul Calibur IV which was essentially just marketting for Star Wars: Force Unleashed and Soul Calibur V which was basically an online VS game with a half-assed offline mode shipped for a full box price. It makes me weep. Playing people online is fun - yes. But damnit I want my Chronicles of the Sword and Edge Master modes back!

On a more general note though this whole idea that developers have to be innovative with each title they release just well and truly knarks me off! Having to "innovate" or "streamline" to appease a bunch of overpaid cynical games critics is probably why games I once loved became so bad.

If I buy a sequel it's because I want more of the same, because I *liked* the first one. Sure if there were any naggling usability issues with the previous game I'll expect them to be ironed out but beyond that I want the core formula to remain the same. Assassin's Creed is the perect example of this, stellar overarching story, first game had a lot of kinks but the core formula was solid - they ironed those out in AC2 and it improved the game as a whole. I happilly gave them more money for both Brotherhood and Revelations and thankfully by Revelations they realised that their "flying" sections handled worse than a bicycle with flat tyres - and subsequently got rid of them. AC3 they're still keeping the core formula in tact there but expanding the world beyond the GTA-esque confines of a city.

Borderlands 2 is a great example too. Borderlands was a fun game but got very repetitive with very little varation in textures etc and the setpieces felt rather disjointed. Borderlands 2 they added some colour to Pandora, made the writing even slicker and comical, nailed the set pieces and generally just tightened the nuts and bolts on the existing package (without really changing anything dramatically) and it was by far a more entertaining experience.

Heck, if Square Enix released a game tomorrow that had a decent story and a Battle System and other gameplay systems similar to VI - I would literally throw money at them. Instead I got lumbered with 50 hours of corridors followed by 20 hours of Calm Lands 2.0 and felt notably shortchanged by it all.

It does my head in when people rail on studios for not being "innovative" if the crux of the gameplay remains largely the same.

Like with this new Fable game that I have to faff around with Kinect and hand gestures and it handles terrible. smurf off Lionhead, no! I want a Fable game - something that I can curl up on the sofa under the quilt cover with and lose hours and hours in the wonder of adventure. Not some bulltrout motion controlled experiment with the Fable name slapped onto it so it can be lauded as "innovation."

If a game is a sequel then it carries with it a set of already established expectations that it's fans want and expect to see fulfilled. Not disregarding and thrown out the window for the sake of being "innovative."

Really I think the gaming community as a whole has really got it's wires crossed and has confused "innovatism" with "iteration." Iteration is a necessity, but doesn't mean demolishing and rebuilding from the ground up - nor does it necessarilly equate to being "good" either.
    Last edited by Aulayna; 10-14-2012 at 05:27 AM.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As long as there are games like Tribes Ascend, serious Sam, Painkiller, and unreal tournament, FPS should never die.
    Now... modern Military shooters on the other hand... yeah, screw that.

I would kill off either Madden, FIFA, or CoD. At least battlefield has some damned variety (though I'd still never touch it with a 10 foot pole).
    Also, if final fantasy doesn't get its act together, I'd kill it off. It's just disgracing itself constantly, though it may save itself eventually....
    Also,I'd kill of dynasty warriors. Come on guys, 500 trillion versions of the same game is enough.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I would have to say I would kill final fantasy after 10 came out. Leave it on a high note and leave it like that. I just see the series going down hill from this point. I keep hearing so many complaints about the 13 series. There has to be a time where enough is enough. Fine they can milk the series all they want but isn't that just destroying what made the series good in the first place? I sometimes I really miss the good old days of square soft. Each game was fun and creative and they where trying new things. It just seems like they have lost their way. I don't know if they could fix the series and go back to what made these games popular. I really don't.

Another thing I would just kill would be first person shooters they all look the same and just seems boring to me. I tried to play those games and I did not see the appeal to those games.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If FF died after X, we wouldn't have received the glory that is XII, nor what I hear is the glory off XI and XIV.
    Last edited by Quindiana Jones; 10-16-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sabin101 View Post
    I would have to say I would kill final fantasy after 10 came out. Leave it on a high note and leave it like that. I just see the series going down hill from this point. I keep hearing so many complaints about the 13 series. There has to be a time where enough is enough. Fine they can milk the series all they want but isn't that just destroying what made the series good in the first place? I sometimes I really miss the good old days of square soft. Each game was fun and creative and they where trying new things. It just seems like they have lost their way. I don't know if they could fix the series and go back to what made these games popular. I really don't.

Another thing I would just kill would be first person shooters they all look the same and just seems boring to me. I tried to play those games and I did not see the appeal to those games.
    Uhm, did you just forget that 11, 12 and 14 actually exist? ....errrrr, those games are pretty damn fantastic.

Also, if you think FPS all look the same then you have not explored the genre at all.
    Try these on for size:
    Half life (the entire series): Half Life 2 Trailer - YouTube
    Serious sam: Serious Sam HD - Final Trailer [HD] - YouTube
    Painkiller: The Escapist : Video Galleries : Zero Punctuation : Painkiller
    Tribes ascend: Tribes Ascend - Focus Official HD Trailer - YouTube
    Bioshock: Bioshock Trailer - YouTube
    Unreal Tournament: Unreal Tournament 3 Gameplay - YouTube
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I did not forget 11 12 and 13 and 14 exist just not my cup of tea and I don't like the way square has been creating final fantasy games at all. Back in the old days final fantasy games used to mean something what do final fantasy games stand for now mediocre crap?

I am horrible at first person shooters I suck at them. I tried and tried to play them and I could not play them. I will pass.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sabin101 View Post
    I did not forget 11 12 and 13 and 14 exist just not my cup of tea and I don't like the way square has been creating final fantasy games at all. Back in the old days final fantasy games used to mean something what do final fantasy games stand for now mediocre crap?

I am horrible at first person shooters I suck at them. I tried and tried to play them and I could not play them. I will pass.
    What do you mean by the "meant something"? I'd very much like you to expand on that point as I'm very curious.
    Final Fantasy doesn't stand for mediocre games, they just had a giant change of direction. While it may not be your "cup of tea" (or mine) it still appeals to quite a few people. I think you're giving way too much praise to the franchise, the older FF games were far from perfect. The "old days" as you call it (do you mean 1-6, or 7-10? old days is very general) were very VERY grind heavy with little emphasis on story or characters (I'm talking about 1-5, excluding 4 because it at least tried). By the time 4 came out they tried to start working on it, and succeeding with 6 and 7. I've never played 8, and they did a solid job with 9.
    1-3 had a great many flaws, and that's understandable since the franchise was still trying to discover what they wanted to do with themselves.
    The old days were far from perfect, I can't stress this enough. While the games may still be damn good in terms of JRPGs, I think you have your nostalgia goggles on too tight.

Also, I royally sucked at FPS until I started playing with a mouse and keyboard, it makes it so much easier and a lot more fun. Seriously, games like the original Serious Sam (first encounter, not HD) can run on any rock of a PC, and it's a blast to play. They're outrageously difficult, but in a good way that keeps you wanting more. It's very hard to get mad at SS because you're always dying in very creative and interesting ways.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy