Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: If you could kill one gaming franchise what would it be?

Barbie
    Dora

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sabin101 View Post
    I did not forget 11 12 and 13 and 14 exist just not my cup of tea and I don't like the way square has been creating final fantasy games at all. Back in the old days final fantasy games used to mean something what do final fantasy games stand for now mediocre crap?

I am horrible at first person shooters I suck at them. I tried and tried to play them and I could not play them. I will pass.
    What do you mean by the "meant something"? I'd very much like you to expand on that point as I'm very curious.
    Final Fantasy doesn't stand for mediocre games, they just had a giant change of direction. While it may not be your "cup of tea" (or mine) it still appeals to quite a few people. I think you're giving way too much praise to the franchise, the older FF games were far from perfect. The "old days" as you call it (do you mean 1-6, or 7-10? old days is very general) were very VERY grind heavy with little emphasis on story or characters (I'm talking about 1-5, excluding 4 because it at least tried). By the time 4 came out they tried to start working on it, and succeeding with 6 and 7. I've never played 8, and they did a solid job with 9.
    1-3 had a great many flaws, and that's understandable since the franchise was still trying to discover what they wanted to do with themselves.
    The old days were far from perfect, I can't stress this enough. While the games may still be damn good in terms of JRPGs, I think you have your nostalgia goggles on too tight.

Also, I royally sucked at FPS until I started playing with a mouse and keyboard, it makes it so much easier and a lot more fun. Seriously, games like the original Serious Sam (first encounter, not HD) can run on any rock of a PC, and it's a blast to play. They're outrageously difficult, but in a good way that keeps you wanting more. It's very hard to get mad at SS because you're always dying in very creative and interesting ways.
    What I met that final fantasy games met something like games like ff 4, 6, 7, 9 to me those games had creativity exploration. Going off to save the crystals or the world you where not stuck on a linear path where you had to go from one place to the next weather you like it or not. I like to explore in games not be stuck on a single path. Final fantasy 6 and 7 and 9 where my personal favorites of the series. I am just a old school gamer. I love the old snes and sega genesis fan. I am not going to say I want a remake of ff 7 I am fine the way the game is. Plus it would take way to long to do. I want a 3ds version of ff 6 now that would rock. Now back to the topic I would just go right ahead and kill sonic the hedge hog good god. Every single time they come out with a game it just is not good. That series is going down hill and should be spared even more torture.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you like non-linear worlds, you should try XI, XII and XIV.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

sabin you need to remove your opinion from fact.

In Final Fantasy XII, you could visit areas and bosses very early in the game if you looked. Sure in the beginning you were nailed along your path to learn about all the battle mechanics of the game, but very soon after dozens of optional marks, areas, espers, quests, and side-bosses where open to you. Hell, I have to replay through that game because I beat it but only scratched the surface. Final Fantasy XII, the next single player game after FFX, was less linear in terms of exploration. Hell, the game was less linear than my absolute favorite entry in the series FFIX.

FFX was linear until you received the airship, that was about 30 hours in for me.

EDIT: As for XI and XIV, there is nothing less linear than an MMO. XIII, was incredibly linear, but that's a mere 1 out of 4 games, and the problem with XIII's world wasn't it's linearity. FFX was equally as linear, but it was presented in a more understandable way, instead of awkward level segments.
    Last edited by Goldenboko; 10-16-2012 at 03:29 PM.

I don't mind too much if it's linear. It can be a bit harder to navigate through a 3D game than a 2D one.

Especially when the maze comes and they have save points instead of letting you save YOUR game.

(don't understand the point of save points as you bought the game so shouldn't you be able to save it whenever you want?...pretty much they just mark down a boss/event...or, in awful cases, a point after beating the boss )

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Ice View Post
    I don't mind too much if it's linear. It can be a bit harder to navigate through a 3D game than a 2D one.

Especially when the maze comes and they have save points instead of letting you save YOUR game.

(don't understand the point of save points as you bought the game so shouldn't you be able to save it whenever you want?...pretty much they just mark down a boss/event...or, in awful cases, a point after beating the boss )
    They're meant to pace out levels. It makes it to where if you die, there's actually a cost to it. It's not just a minor inconvenience in all cases. Sometimes save points are spaced out SO damn far, or are nonexistent (check out the DS version of FFIII, the last 1-2hours of the game had no save points AT ALL, so if you died at the first boss, the second boss, the third boss, the fourth boss, the fifth boss, or the last boss, you had to start COMPLETELY over from the start of the dungeon that leads up to the first.
    This really made every encounter intense, and you gave each one your all (or you ran, YOU PANSY). While it was mechanically a godawful decision that caused me hours upon hours of stress... it still made it so much more memorable and made me a god at FF3

But when save points are actually spaced out properly, it evens out the pacing, so you can't just cheese the dungeon and save after every fight to make sure you get through without a scratch. That's no fun...

I'm sure there's also some technical reasons behind it... somewhere. I wouldn't know.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Indeed there are. Save Points mean that there is plenty of information that doesn't have to be saved. You don't have to save everyone's exact position, only which save point they used. This is why nearly all early games utilized Save Points or reset you to the start of the level when you reloaded, because it was much easier to implement. Nowadays not much of a concern, but depending on your system and world, can still save a lot of trouble.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Heyyo TrollHunter Unreal Tournament III is my jam! THAT'S game series that should be resurrected... oops, wrong thread!

But damn why are you guys beating up on newcomers? I played FFXII over 200 hours on 3 playthroughs, but I can totally understand what sabin101 means when he says it just didn't have the same creative magic that older games have. I'm not sure how much of that is debatable, either you got that "feeling" or you didn't. I learned to like the game. But I didn't get "the feeling."

Also, FPS is great and there's a lot of awesome variations on it, including cool innovations of the last few years. You just gotta get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter View Post
    They're meant to pace out levels. It makes it to where if you die, there's actually a cost to it. It's not just a minor inconvenience in all cases. Sometimes save points are spaced out SO damn far, or are nonexistent (check out the DS version of FFIII, the last 1-2hours of the game had no save points AT ALL, so if you died at the first boss, the second boss, the third boss, the fourth boss, the fifth boss, or the last boss, you had to start COMPLETELY over from the start of the dungeon that leads up to the first.
    I think star ocean (for the most part) was the same way. 1~2 hours between saves. It makes it so you can't just pick up the game for even 20 mins or so, add the cutscenes (especially unskippable ones) in there and there's a lot of lost time.

This really made every encounter intense, and you gave each one your all (or you ran, YOU PANSY). While it was mechanically a godawful decision that caused me hours upon hours of stress... it still made it so much more memorable and made me a god at FF3
    But when save points are actually spaced out properly, it evens out the pacing, so you can't just cheese the dungeon and save after every fight to make sure you get through without a scratch. That's no fun...
    Yeah, but you could have used that lost time to level up your characters instead or something useful if you knew you wouldn't win. It just gets boring because it feels like a waste of time....FF13 did a good job getting past that though (since you come back before a battle).

But people saving after every battle, I understand the point of that (it's something I still do), but at least let me save in 10 min or so Then they added healing with some of the save points too, that's no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Indeed there are. Save Points mean that there is plenty of information that doesn't have to be saved. You don't have to save everyone's exact position, only which save point they used. This is why nearly all early games utilized Save Points or reset you to the start of the level when you reloaded, because it was much easier to implement. Nowadays not much of a concern, but depending on your system and world, can still save a lot of trouble.

The thing about the older games too is that they didn't have so many cutscenes that lasted 10 mins-1/2 hr or so. Made it much easier to handle.

Blog Entries

Thank you skyblade, that cleared a lot of it up for me~ I don't know why I didn't consider those things.

I love me some Unreal 3, that game was a blast. It's been such a long time since I picked it up though.

Me, beat up on newcomers? Pssh... okay, I apologize. I guess a few of my replies and posts were too aggressive.
    It's strange, I really got the creative magic from that game. The millions of ways you can set up characters, allllll the different attack animations (Pole/Katana/Unarmed anyone?). Hell, I'd go as far to say the character customization is even more open-ended then the world you can explore. I got oodles of creative magic from that game... but I guess that's just me. I'm younger so I started FF with games like X and XII, so I guess that plays a big role in it. A lot of the older games don't give me that feeling, which is probably why I don't finish many of them (3 and 4 gave me that feeling in handfuls though), maybe it's because most of them I've had to resort to emulators to play... I don't know really. It's all up to preference I suppose, considering FF has tried nearly everything imaginable.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Also, FPS is indeed a great genre. The issue is looking past the muck of the really popular FPS titles which have given a lot of people a bad first impression of what a lot of good FPS are really about.
    If you take the time to look around a bit, you can even find shooters unlike anything you've ever played before. Serious Sam was the game that actually made me start liking FPS, I had hated them beforehand. I thought I sucked at them due to only ever playing some old CoD games on console. On pc, it's quite hard to suck at FPS. It's so much easier, as aiming isn't nearly as awkward. You can just focus on your reflexes and having a good time.

Me, I prefer the fast paced arcadey doom-esque shooters. Modern Military Shooters all my friends are obsessed with? Gosh, I can't get into them. Especially now that I'm used to the fast paced insanity of arcadey FPS, I have gotten some bad habits from that style of gameplay that makes me quite easy to kill in a slow cover based shooter.

Goodness, I'm in a rant-y mood today.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    FINAL FANSTY
    Yep.
    Steady decrease in quality over the years with an ever-increasing focus on aesthetic, rehashing, and spin-offs. Squeenix has lost sight of why the series was great and I think the loss of Sakaguchi plays a big part of it. I doubt I'll buy any new Final Fantasy games unless it's actually something legit awesome. XIII was disappointing as trout and their other missteps with the series in recent years have totally shaken my faith.

On the plus side, Squeenix has become a publishing power house with other studios releasing groundbreaking stuff (Deus Ex: HR comes to mind), so maybe they'll be able to harness creative input from outside sources to make something that isn't trout.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I've honestly had to debate this question cause as much as I complain, I don't hold that much animosity towards any particular series or genre. If I had to kill franchises it's for personal reasons...

Metal Gear Solid - I really love the series, MGS3 is easily one of my favorite games of all time and Peace Walker is brilliant, but the series needs to die. Not because the series is in a downhill spiral, but because I would like the series to retire on a high note before Kojima spends the next 15 years churning out sequels for it and becomes bitter about the industry like Kenji Inafune and reading some of his interviews, he sounds like he's heading in that direction. Not to mention that even Kojima is going to start running out of ideas eventually and the series will begin to get weaker and dumber. I'd rather see it end on a high note. It helps that there really isn't anything left to talk about for the series unless MGS5 is going to be a prequel about the Boss (which would actually be really cool) or Kojima retcons MGS4's ending for Snake and revitalizes him with nanomachines so he can start a new story arc, but that idea just sounds terrible. The point is that Snake's story has run its course and it's time to let him rest before he becomes Konami's version of Mario or worse, Capcom's version of Mega Man. Speaking of which...

Resident Evil - seriously, you need to drop Umbrella Corp and come up with some new way to create zombie apocalypse, I mean how many zombie apocalypses can one evil megacorp cause before the U.N. is going to step in have them exterminated? Even Shin-Ra doesn't have as good of PR as UC does. You really should have taken the opportunity that RE4 gave you and give the series a fresh start instead of dragging everyone back into the bulltrout of the previous games. So RE7 better not have UC or any of it's affiliates or you should lay the series to rest.

Silent Hill - Same issue, you need to get rid of The Order and stop torturing Alessa/Cheryl/Heather Mason cause how many times can you retell the plot of SH1? You should have taken a clue from SH2 and instead focused character dramas facing their real life demons in a spooky town called Silent Hill rather than later entries that always make everything tie back into the cult from the first game. Just be rid of them and their plot to resurrect their doomsday cult god and let's all move on with our lives, I'm sure if you put your heads together you can make something just as scary without the backlog of convulated nonsense. Though SH: Homecoming was a nice twist on the cult.

Fabula Nova Crystallis - Here's what you need to do Squenix, cancel Lightning Returns and just make some bulltrout DLC ending for XIII-2 starring Lightning or just don't. Tell everyone in your in-house development to stop what they are doing and put their projects on hold. Pull them all together and make them finish Versus XIII by holiday season of next year (I'm trying to be realistic) after 6 years of development there cannot possibly be any kind of new idea that should be introduced into this game by this stage of development. If you have to lock Nomura into a closet cause he can't stop being an "artist" about every little detail of the game then so be it. I would like to see this game before my hypothetical children have their own hypothetical demon spawn children. I don't care if it has to be rushed and unfinished, it's never stopped you before and if it was going to be any good, I figure six years is more than enough time to show the "meat and potatoes" of the grand design. We as fans are big enough to forgive a lack of polish if the core of the game is good, I mean that was practically every game you made in the PS1 generation.

After this is done, decide if you are going to translate Type-0, then put it to rest. Don't bother waiting for the Vita to get popular, cause it's a few years worth of games away from having an exceptionable gaming library and it needs a price drop before average consumers are going to pay attention. We all have PSPs, just translate that version and be done with it. Once that is done, kill FNC and let us all agree to never speak of this Compilation experiment again. Just make Nomura start working on KH3, and get everyone else back on current projects and FFXV. Thank you.
    This is pretty much 100% on the money for me, too. I love Kojima, I love MGS, the new one looks killer, but it's time to move on. RE has been a non-starter for me for years, and I used to be a massive fan. SH was Yamaoka's and if Konami wants to make a new survival horror they need to do something original rather than trout on his work. And smurf Fabula Nova whatever the trout. It's a retarded story in a retarded universe that no one cares about.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Team Fortress 2 is the only shooter I need.

Angry

I'm sick of these franchises, and if I had the chance, I would extirpate them from existence with no mercy:

Call of Duty
    Halo
    Metal Gear
    GTA
    Borderlands

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> The Sims.

Words cannot describe how much i despise those games..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    I'm sick of these franchises, and if I had the chance, I would extirpate them from existence with no mercy:

Call of Duty
    Halo
    Metal Gear
    GTA
    Borderlands
    Borderlands?!
    YOU SPEAK UTTER BLASPHEMY!
    Take it back... please?
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy