Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: If you could kill one gaming franchise what would it be?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Red Exclamation Mark If you could kill one gaming franchise what would it be?

Title says it all, which gaming franchise that exists right now would you not mind seeing it bite the dust?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Call of Duty would be my first pick.
    Other than that, Mass Effect. The Elder Scrolls would be considered if they keep with what they're doing.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

FIFA

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lockharted View Post
    FIFA

I was debating between this and Madden.

Yay!

Kingdom Hearts. Spreading sequels and prequels across 6 different platforms is just a kick in the face to players who expected a continuation of the story brought up by I & II. Such disrespect. Die you crazy series!
    Last edited by Pete for President; 10-03-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Yay!

Kingdom Hearts. Spreading sequels and prequels across 6 different platforms is just a kick in the face to players who expected a continuation of the story brought up by I & II. Such disrespect.
    This.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Yay!

Kingdom Hearts. Spreading sequels and prequels across 6 different platforms is just a kick in the face to players who expected a continuation of the story brought up by I & II. Such disrespect. Die you crazy series!
    Blasphemy! The story is continued in CoM (between I and II) 3D and BbS is a prequel, and the side games are also pretty essential to the plot (well, at least Days is). So people should really stop their bitching! Especially because, since BbS, we've been getting some of the biggest questions II left unanswered, answered!

Can I say I want a whole genre to die? Cause I'm kind of fed up with FPS. How they all look the same. And when non-FPS games try to be more like FPSes to sell better... Seriously, those should just die...

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The murderwank franchise.

First-person shooters (ala Call of Duty and Halo).

I consider them all to be the same game, thus within the same franchise.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Blasphemy! The story is continued in CoM (between I and II) 3D and BbS is a prequel, and the side games are also pretty essential to the plot (well, at least Days is). So people should really stop their bitching! Especially because, since BbS, we've been getting some of the biggest questions II left unanswered, answered!
    This kind of misses Pete's point. He was complaining because the games are getting released on multiple platforms, despite some being direct continuations of the main story. For the record, I agree with him frankly. I loved Kingdom Hearts, but I didn't have a GBA at the time CoM came out so I didn't play it. And despite reading plenty of previews for KHII before it came out, no one seemed to be making a bit deal of the fact that CoM was required playing before jumping into it. Cue my buying KHII, having concepts, new characters, and new groups thrown at me with not nearly enough of a recap of what the hell happened in CoM, leaving me to spend most of the game trying to decipher what the hell was going on instead of enjoying myself. Once they started releasing games like 358/2 Days on the DS when I didn't own one at the time I just completely gave up on the series. Since then, they've done subsequent games on the PSP and now 3DS. Sure, I have a GBA, DS, and PSP now, but it's been too many years for me to care anymore. And I refuse to pick up a 3DS anytime soon so I doubt I'll start caring for the foreseeable future. Splitting them up like that really was probably the worst thing they could do. Sure, diehard fans might not mind as much, but it killed the series for me.

Can I say I want a whole genre to die? Cause I'm kind of fed up with FPS. How they all look the same. And when non-FPS games try to be more like FPSes to sell better... Seriously, those should just die...
    I often wonder if the people who make statements like this play or are aware of FPS titles that aren't COD or Battlefield.

That said, COD does need to die if only so Activision loses the biggest series propping them up right now.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    This kind of misses Pete's point. He was complaining because the games are getting released on multiple platforms, despite some being direct continuations of the main story. For the record, I agree with him frankly. I loved Kingdom Hearts, but I didn't have a GBA at the time CoM came out so I didn't play it. And despite reading plenty of previews for KHII before it came out, no one seemed to be making a bit deal of the fact that CoM was required playing before jumping into it. Cue my buying KHII, having concepts, new characters, and new groups thrown at me with not nearly enough of a recap of what the hell happened in CoM, leaving me to spend most of the game trying to decipher what the hell was going on instead of enjoying myself. Once they started releasing games like 358/2 Days on the DS when I didn't own one at the time I just completely gave up on the series. Since then, they've done subsequent games on the PSP and now 3DS. Sure, I have a GBA, DS, and PSP now, but it's been too many years for me to care anymore. And I refuse to pick up a 3DS anytime soon so I doubt I'll start caring for the foreseeable future. Splitting them up like that really was probably the worst thing they could do. Sure, diehard fans might not mind as much, but it killed the series for me.
    Of course, this I can understand. If it weren't for the fact that my brother and I share consoles, it would probably be impossible for me to play all of the games as well, and I can only imagine how locked-out a person that hadn't played all of them might feel. This is a valid argument. What drives me nuts is how people say how the story makes no sense or, as Pete said, it has no continuation. Because there is a continuation and a pretty good one at that (though YMMV), so IMO, saying this lack of continuation is what killed the franchise for them is a fallacy. Saying the spread between different platforms killed it for them, is not. That is a legitimate reason for someone to lose interest in a game, so if, from what I said, you were under the impression that I thought otherwise, I apologize, because that was not the meaning I had intended.

As for the FPS point - yeah, I am ignorant when it comes to the genre and I could never tell these games apart. It's just, wherever I look - gaming TV, websites, stores, etc. - everything is now dominated by this sort of game. I kind of feel left out now. it's especially sad that games that are valid to my interests are often not considered modern enough, simply because they lack the "action" of this mainstream genre. And then some games try to change and be more "modern" - just look at FFXIII. I have not played the game myself, but from what I have heard, this game tried to borrow elements from this dominating genre and failed miserably (according to some people, at least). What I am saying here might be strictly personal - I was never attracted to FPSes, and I really don't feel as welcome as I used to in the gaming comunity. I miss the old days, when (to me, at least) there seemed to be more variety, where people wouldn't just assume every game of your favourite genre is of brooding effeminite teens. Then again, this might be just my rambling, me growing old, failing to accept, adapt to the evolving gaming industry...

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Of course, this I can understand. If it weren't for the fact that my brother and I share consoles, it would probably be impossible for me to play all of the games as well, and I can only imagine how locked-out a person that hadn't played all of them might feel. This is a valid argument. What drives me nuts is how people say how the story makes no sense or, as Pete said, it has no continuation. Because there is a continuation and a pretty good one at that (though YMMV), so IMO, saying this lack of continuation is what killed the franchise for them is a fallacy. Saying the spread between different platforms killed it for them, is not. That is a legitimate reason for someone to lose interest in a game, so if, from what I said, you were under the impression that I thought otherwise, I apologize, because that was not the meaning I had intended.
    I think it might just have been a poor choice of words on his part when he said there's no continuation. Obviously there is, but continuing the main story outside of numbered entries is confusing enough. But releasing those continuations across five or more different platforms just makes it worse. And then when you try to only play the numbered entries thinking the others are just spin offs which probably aren't necessary, you get one hell of a rude awakening.

So yeah, there's continuity there, but damned if it makes any sense if you don't own multiple consoles/handhelds. And actually, that might bring up another major issue. Handheld releases and spin offs didn't used to be important to the continuity of main entries. It's fairly recent that more companies have been releasing major entries on handhelds (stuff like DQIX, the next Shin Megami Tensai, etc. But even then, they're not usually continuing the story from console franchises. When Kingdom Hearts started doing this it made some sense to not realize how important these games were because pretty much no one ever did that. The entire thing just kind of turned into this convoluted mess for most people. If they ever decide to release a Kingdom Hearts collection with every game though, I might be tempted to jump back in.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can get behind the KH statement being made. I haven't played any of the games besides I and II and quite frankly, I refuse to. I want a direct smurfing sequel on a console I own or plan to get already, I'm not getting anymore smurfing handhelds.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Dammit. Wrong thread....

I'll have to think of something clever to add here.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Assassins Creed.

*Ducks Wolf's hate*