Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Disney Sequels Do Not Suck

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Uh yeah it was. it had seashell bras and all.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    You all are failing to realize that The Little Mermaid ITSELF was not that good of a movie.
    :whaaa:

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I will save the day and ban TB so that everyone can go back to their regularly scheduled programming of The Little Mermaid.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

No, really. It has the most annoying and vapid Princess. It has GREAT music. But the story is dull. The prince has no personality other than being handsome.

I just don't like it that much.

I do like that I have the original box with the penises. :3
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    Also, my bad, Nuke. I honestly made a mistake there. It's been awhile since I saw it.
    I actually thought he was a priest or something as well until i read otherwise. Now its a fun fact I quote at everyone who calls him a priest

Speaking of fun things about THOND
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 10-10-2012 at 12:16 PM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I will save the day and ban TB so that everyone can go back to their regularly scheduled programming of The Little Mermaid.
    Thankyou. I love the Little Mermaid and how is Ariel and Eric annoying and bland ? Eric loved Ariel even though she was heavily flawed as a human. She was weird, didn't act like normal women and couldn't talk and yet Eric still had a crush on her and when she was a mermaid he didn't reject her or get weird out. In fact he loved her even more.

Ariel is adventurous and instead of Eric being the one that saves her, she is the one that saves Eric. She can be bratty, but her heart is in the right place. She just feels trapped within her own underwater prison. She wants to be a human because she feels like that world is better and suits her better than the underwater world. Then she meets Eric and then that just double the impact.

Yes Eric stepped away from Ariel at first but only because he wanted to respect the woman that saved his life, which is quite noble. Though you can tell that he really loves Ariel more and wants to be with her; but his wish to honour the woman that saved his life holds him back and you can tell from the movie that his big mistake that he didn't go for Ariel even though his heart was telling him too.

Yes, I love The Little Mermaid.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Plus, The Little Mermaid has Ursula.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

I don't care what anyone says, I liked both Dead Man's Chest and At World's End. What's more, while both are inferior to the first movie on the whole, I think Davy Jones is the best character to come out of the Trilogy.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No most of them are awful as is most straight to video movies, the only decent sequels on the list are the ones that were worthy enough to get a theatrical release so Rescuer's Down Under (Which I feel is superior to the first film) and Fantasia 2000 which really should not have counted cause Fantasia was suppose to be an ongoing project.

Beyond that, the rest are pretty weak compared to the first films and often felt more like trying to cash in on their popularity.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Plus, The Little Mermaid has Ursula.
    Tbf to the Little Mermaid II, it also had Ursula. She was just skinny and called Morgana.

...It really irked me that they got the same voice actor to play Morgana. It was actually like they were just trying to remake the original with a slightly different angle. xD

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

So I guess the conclusion is:

Yes, Disney sequels do suck. Mostly.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

As far as Disney sequels go, they're hit and miss. Many of them have interesting concepts, but the execution can be somewhat... lacking. The visuals started out in a definite direct-to-video quality but over the years the animation got a lot better. Just compare the art direction of Return of Jafar to Bambi II or Cinderella III; the difference is like night and day.

I haven't yet seen the newest Winnie the Pooh film (which is a sequel considered part of the Disney Animated Canon along with Fantasia 2000, The Rescuers Down Under, and even The Three Caballeros to some extent as TTC kinda expands on Saludos Amigos), but the other three canon sequels are pretty darn good for the most part. All have excellent music and fine animation as well as memorable scenes. I guess the biggest problems in Fantasia 2000 (which I do love not only because it gave Donald an awesome role and one of the most epic kisses on the silver screen) are those celebrity cameos which hardly add anything to the mix, the short length (how awesome would it have been if we'd had the Swan of Tuonela in its finished form, One by One, The Little Match Girl, and Destino as part of the main feature?) as well as some of the jarring tonal shifts. Most of the shorts in the film are actually great, and it was a neat choice to leave the Firebird segment for last; that short is one of my favourites in Disney animation in general.

As for the actual DTV (direct to video) sequels (well, some of them were theatrically released, interestingly enough, but I'll still call them DTV to distinguish them from the animated canon), some were definitely worse than others, but many actually had surprisingly good songs. I found myself liking "For a Moment" in TLM2. I just love the counterpoint of Ariel's motherly theme with Melody's main theme and how happiness and regret are mixed so well as they form a coherent, emotionally gripping narrative). If only the rest of the film had had the emotional intensity of that song (although some bits did come close, I admit).

Or, to mention a few neat song examples from the more "mediorcre" sequels, how about "Where Do I Go From Here" from Pocahontas 2, "Always There" from Lady and the Tramp 2 (it has a few other fine songs too although this one is the most emotional), or the best for last: "Here Beside Me" from Mulan 2? Many of the orchestral scores in DTV sequels also don't have to shy away from the original scores, the best examples belonging to Joel McNeely who for instance wrote this stunning piece for the opening of Return to Neverland which pretty much summarizes all the main music themes from the first Peter Pan film before finishing with the sequel's main music theme. Now that's what I call continuity and dedication!

Out of all the DTV sequels I ended up enjoying Bambi 2, The Lion King 2 and Cinderella 3 the most. Each of them had great animation: some examples include C3 which had parts which actually blew my mind such as the recreation of the first film's famous dance scene which wasn't copied directly from the film but was actually recreated by the talented artists, and Bambi in Bambi 2 who was animated by none other than the sublime Andreas Deja who gave us such wonderful characters as Gaston, Jafar, Scar, Lilo and Mama Odie among others. The storylines were quite interesting in all these films (well, granted, Bambi 2's B plot about Bambi learning to be brave wasn't quite as gripping as the touching father/son storyline which was really the main event) and provided Disney fans with some memorable scenes and songs. Zira's villain song "My Lullaby" is still one of the creepiest villain songs ever to grace a Disney film, and I love every sick minute of it.

So long story short, the sequels have their shortcomings (and could've definitely been better), but many of them are actually quite enjoyable on their own.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I feel like the odd one out here but I really did not like The Lion King 2 or 3. I may have to re-watch Simba's Pride and give it a second chance as I only watched it once (whereas the Lion King I went through 2 VHS worths, due to wearing one out - and have had it on DVD, the DVD Collectors boxset and the DVD collectors boxset with all 3 in it). I think it's largely because The Lion King is my favourite film, ever, so I hold it in such infallible regard that I'm setup to be disappointed by any sequel.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    I feel like the odd one out here but I really did not like The Lion King 2 or 3. I may have to re-watch Simba's Pride and give it a second chance as I only watched it once (whereas the Lion King I went through 2 VHS worths, due to wearing one out - and have had it on DVD, the DVD Collectors boxset and the DVD collectors boxset with all 3 in it). I think it's largely because The Lion King is my favourite film, ever, so I hold it in such infallible regard that I'm setup to be disappointed by any sequel.
    Agreed. I don't think Lion King 2 is that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.