Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How little sleep can you get a night before you stop functioning?

Well there was the two months in the navy, getting 2-4 hours most nights, and a few nights with no sleep at all, before I finally crashed to a point they kicked me out. So really it depends on the levels of crazy my Insomnia feels like going.

I'm interested in polyphasic sleep and want to try an uberman one day - but work/sociallife/uni does not allow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep

Blog Entries

I only sleep for about 5-6 hours every night, and it seems to work for me. If I get under three hours, my body shuts down.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

One night of very little sleep doesn't affect me too much the following day. I was up till 3am last night chatting with a friend and left his house at 7.30am to come to work.

But yeah, if I did something similar tonight then I'd be totally zombie-fied tomorrow.

Blog Entries

Wow, reading this thread has really inspired me to get off this couch and go curl up in bed with my comforter.

Night!

Lately I've only been getting around 4 hours of sleep per night, and it's just continued this perpetual cycle of stress which is really not something I can deal with very well at this point in my life. I'd give anything to go back to 8 hours a night.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Dinner is served. Unbreakable Will's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Depends, if I have work I need at least eight solid hours or I'll die. If I'm not doing anything at all I can go 24 hours without sleep, which is pitiful because a year or so ago I could go on a day and a half Halo Reach marathon and still be down for whatever.

Children and responsibilities have turned me into a wuss.

Because I'm one hell of a butler.

Blog Entries

For one day I can pull an all-nighter. Can't sustain it though.

Overall I need an average of about 8 hours a day, as far as I've been able to tell. But it's psychologically almost impossible - I have to get up at 7:30 for work, so would have to be in bed for 11pm (I use a fitbit for sleep tracking and learned that you easily lose 30-60 minutes on the time taken to get to sleep and little minutes here and there when you wake up and toss around). 11pm. When you work until 5, then have to get dinner as well, that's not a lot of leisure time really and it's tedious working and sleeping your life away... so I stay up later than I should and spend life like a zombie.

Recently I've been trying to convince myself that 6 hours to myself while functional and able to actually do things is better than 7-8 hours spent as a zombie sprawled across the bed not even having the energy to play a game. It's an uphill struggle though. I have to get past certain facts like: assuming I live another 40 years and get an extra 2 hours a day that's 1216 extra days (more than 3 years) spent unconscious!

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If it comes to no sleep I can push myself for about 3 - 4 days before I begin to feel like I'm physically dying, probably am. If however I get like 2 hours on the 3rd night you can generally add another full day or two to the mix without me wanting to die but I'll sleep like a log for 24 hours at the end of it. I'll generally also begin hallucinating about crap.

If we're talking my normal sleep pattern, I tend to sleep like 3 - 5 hours a night every night depending on how healthy I'm feeling when ill I sleep longer.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can sleep with as little as 2 hours to the more normal 8 hours. But normally, I usually need about 5 or 6 hours to feel well rested.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I got home at 3am the other day, very drunk. Woke at 6am, went to bed again about 30 minutes later, woke again at around 8am. So four and a half hours. No hangover, either. Was pretty pleased. xD I was tired the entire day but was functioning just fine. Think I spent most of it in #eoff.

I used to pretty much live on three hours sleep per night. It was because I had an online relationship with a girl in California, eight hours distance. I could work fine and all, and had no problems there, but over time grew very grumpy outside of work and it inevitably destroyed the relationship. Lesson learned. But basically, I can probably go down to around 2-3 hours sleep and still function at work the next day if I had to.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I really am a lightweight compared to you guys. I got about six and a half last night and it absolutely destroyed me. Going to bed early tonight. xD

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I once had to go a few days without sleeping due to some emergency situations but on average it depends what I'm used to. When I was used to waking up at 6 I was okay waking up at 6. Now that I'm used to waking up later, even if I get the same amount of sleep time, if I wake up at 6 I will feel terrible. I've also noticed I can go to bed at 9 and wake up at 6 and feel worse than if I went to bed at 4 am and woke up at 10 am.

I needs my beauty sleep.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I got two hours sleep last night. I do not feel good today.