Thread: The Story of FFII?

Default The Story of FFII?

So I don't play Final Fantasy and I really have no idea what it's about. Can someone enlighten me on what happens in FFII?

that would depend which you mean, FFIIJ (released in later remakes as 2 in america, or FFII (a?) the same as FFIVJ and later remakes in US called 4.
    A successful marriage isn't finding the right person; it's being the right person. ?
    "The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground., ?
    "If the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, you can bet the water bill is higher.", ?
    "Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.", William Penn
    "If you see a bomb technician running, try to keep up with him.", ?
    "If the enemy is in range, so are you.", ?
    "The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." Michelangelo
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.", ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuris View Post
    that would depend which you mean, FFIIJ (released in later remakes as 2 in america, or FFII (a?) the same as FFIVJ and later remakes in US called 4.
    Do you know which version is available in Australia?

...falling in love, is an act of magic.

at this point probably both, but the original you would have had was likely the American version, I know more about it to begin with, you start as dark night Cecil in the employ of an empire seeking to capture all of the other nation's crystals, the exact info is readily available on Wikipedia, it is there as follows: (PLEASE expect SPOILERS!!!!)

Final Fantasy IVj (American II)
    Final Fantasy IV begins as the Red Wings are attacking the city of Mysidia to steal the Water Crystal there. When Cecil, Captain of the Red Wings, afterwards questions the king's motives, he is stripped of his rank and sent with Kain to deliver a package to the Village of Mist.[11] There, Kain and Cecil watch in horror as monsters from inside the package destroy the village. A young girl, Rydia, is the only survivor and summons an earthquake in anger, separating Cecil and Kain.[12] Cecil awakens afterward and takes the wounded Rydia to a nearby pub. Baron soldiers come for Rydia; Cecil defends her,[13] and she joins him on his journey.

It is learned that Rosa, Cecil's love interest, followed him and is extremely ill with a fever in the town. Soon after this, they meet Tellah, who is going to Damcyan Castle to retrieve his eloping daughter, Anna.[14] Anna is killed when the Red Wings bomb the castle. Edward, Anna's lover and the prince of Damcyan, explains that the Red Wings' new commander, Golbez, did this to steal the Fire Crystal for Baron as they had stolen the Water Crystal from Mysidia.[15] Tellah leaves the party to seek vengeance on Golbez for Anna's death.[16] After finding a cure for Rosa, the party decides to go to Fabul to protect the Wind Crystal. Here they meet Master Yang, a warrior monk serviced to the kingdom and the protection of the water crystal. The Red Wings attack, and Kain reappears as one of Golbez's servants. He attacks and defeats Cecil; when Rosa intervenes, Golbez kidnaps her as Kain takes the crystal.[17] On the way back to Baron, the party is attacked by Leviathan and thus separated.

Cecil awakes near Mysidia. When he enters the town, he finds that its residents hold him in utter contempt for the prior attack on their town. Through the Village Elder, he learns that to defeat Golbez, he must climb Mt. Ordeals and become a Paladin.[18] Before embarking on his journey, he is joined by the twin mages, Palom and Porom. On the mountain he encounters Tellah, who is searching for the forbidden spell Meteor to defeat Golbez.[19] Casting aside the darkness in him, Cecil becomes a Paladin, while Tellah learns the secret of Meteor. Upon reaching Baron the party confronts the King of Baron, only to discover that he had been replaced by one of Golbez's minions.[20] After defeating him, Cid arrives and takes them to one of his airships. On the way to the Airship, the party enters a trapped room, where Palom and Porom sacrifice themselves to save Cecil, Tellah, Cid, and Yang.

On the airship, Kain appears and demands Cecil retrieve the final crystal in exchange for Rosa's life.[21] After the crystal is retrieved, Kain leads the party to the Tower of Zot, where Rosa is imprisoned. At the tower's summit, Golbez takes the crystal and attempts to flee. Tellah sacrifices himself to stop Golbez with Meteor, but only weakens him, although it does end Golbez's mind control of Kain.[22] Kain helps Cecil rescue Rosa and Rosa teleports the party out of the collapsing tower to Baron.

In Baron, Kain reveals that Golbez must also obtain four subterranean "Dark Crystals" to achieve his goal of reaching the moon. [23] The party travels to the underworld and encounter the Dwarves who are currently fighting the Red Wings. They defeat Golbez in a battle, and are saved at the last minute by Rydia, now a young woman, rejoining the party during the fight, though they fail to stop him from stealing the Dwarves' crystal. They flee the underworld in the airship, and Cid sacrifices himself to reseal the passage to underworld.[24] The party travels to the Tower of Babil where the crystals are being kept. When they reach the crystal room, the party falls through a trap door to the underworld. The heroes go to retrieve the eighth crystal before Golbez. Upon retrieving it, Golbez reveals he still has control over Kain, and takes the crystal.[25] After learning of the Lunar Whale, a ship designed to take travelers to and from the moon, the party is rejoined by Cid, and travels to the surface and boards the ship.[26]

On the moon, the party meets the sage Fusoya, who explains that Cecil's father was a Lunarian.[27] Fusoya also explains that a Lunarian named Zemus plans to destroy life on the Blue Planet so that the Lunarians can take it over, using Golbez to summon the Giant of Babil, a colossal robot.[28] They return to Earth and the forces of the two worlds attack the Giant, including Palom and Porom, who have been revived. After the party breaks the robot, Golbez and Kain confront them, only to have Fusoya break Zemus' control over Golbez, in turn releasing Kain. Cecil learns that Golbez is his older brother.[29] Golbez and Fusoya head to the core of the moon to defeat Zemus, and Cecil's party follows. In the moon's core, the party witnesses Golbez and Fusoya kill Zemus, but then quickly fall to his resurrected form, the spirit Zeromus.[30] Cecil and his allies defeat Zeromus. Following the battle, Fusoya and Golbez opt to leave Earth with the moon.[31] During the epilogue, Kain is atop Mt. Ordeals, promising to atone for his sins. The rest of the cast reunite to celebrate Cecil and Rosa's wedding and their coronation as Baron's new king and queen.

for the other the info from wikipedia is here:
    Final Fantasy IIj
    Final Fantasy II begins as Firion, Maria, Guy and Leon are attacked by Palamecian Black Knight soldiers and left for dead. Firion, Maria, and Guy are rescued by Princess Hilda, who has established a rebel base in the town of Altair after her kingdom of Fynn was invaded by the Emperor. Hilda denies their request to join the rebel army because they are too young and inexperienced. The three set off for Fynn in search of Leon; there they find a dying Prince Scott of Kashuan, Hilda's fiancé, who informs them that a former knight of Fynn, Borghen, betrayed the rebellion and became a General in the Imperial army. The party returns to Altair to inform Hilda. She allows the group to join the rebellion and asks them to journey north to find mythril, a metal which could be used to create powerful weapons. The party makes its way north to the occupied village of Salamand, saves the villagers forced to work in the nearby mines, and retrieves the mythril.

For their next mission, the party is sent to the city of Bafsk to prevent the construction of a large airship known as the Dreadnought; however, it takes off just as they arrive. After retrieving the Sunfire, a weapon which can blow up the Dreadnought, they watch helplessly as an airship with Hilda on board is captured by the Dreadnought. When the Dreadnought lands to stock up on supplies, the party rescues Hilda and throws the Sunfire into the airship's engine. Before escaping from the explosion, the party encounters a dark knight whom Maria thinks she recognizes as Leon.

On his deathbed, the King of Fynn tasks the party to seek the help of the seemingly extinct dragoons of Deist. In Deist, the party finds only a mother with her son, learning that all but one of the Dragoons are dead, partly as a result of Imperial poison. After placing an egg of the last wyvern in a cavern, the party returns to Altair and rescues Hilda from the Empire a second time, before successfully reclaiming Fynn from the Imperial forces. They then travel west in search of a powerful magic item, joining forces with the last surviving dragoon on the way. The party returns to Fynn and sees that many towns have been destroyed by a cyclone summoned by the Emperor. The party calls upon the newly born last wyvern to take them to a castle inside the cyclone, where they confront and kill the Emperor. Back at Fynn, everyone celebrates the Empire's defeat, but a mortally wounded Fynn soldier arrives and reveals that Leon has taken the throne and plans to destroy the Rebels with the Imperial army.

The party enters the castle of Palamecia and confronts Leon. However, the Emperor reappears in the throne room in a new demonic form, revealing he has returned from Hell with the intention of destroying the entire world. The party and Leon escape Palamecia Castle with the wyvern, as the castle is replaced with the palace of Hell, Pandaemonium. Leon agrees to help the group seal the Emperor away. The party travels to the Jade Passage, an underground passage to the underworld, and finds the portal to Pandaemonium, where they finally defeat the Emperor.

The Dawn of Souls remake of the game for the Game Boy Advance includes an additional mission that takes place after the game, called "Soul of Rebirth". The story of the bonus mission follows several characters who died during the story of the game as they travel through alternate versions of several locations in the game and defeat another version of the Emperor.
    A successful marriage isn't finding the right person; it's being the right person. ?
    "The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground., ?
    "If the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, you can bet the water bill is higher.", ?
    "Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.", William Penn
    "If you see a bomb technician running, try to keep up with him.", ?
    "If the enemy is in range, so are you.", ?
    "The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." Michelangelo
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.", ?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

FFIIj is what this forum is for, so I'm guessing we can stick with that. In FFII, a rag-tag team of adventurers group up and fight an evil boss intent on taking over the world.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I know something about the love between Tidus and Yuna and how they're from different worlds and can't be together (?). What happens to them in FFII?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I think you have FFII confused with FFX. FFII involves lead playable characters Firion, Maria, Guy and Leon. There are five other characters that will come and go in your party, too. The central villain in the story is, if I recall correctly, the Emperor of Palamecia. The game begins in the middle of a war, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by opn184 View Post
    I know something about the love between Tidus and Yuna and how they're from different worlds and can't be together (?). What happens to them in FFII?
    O.o' Well, this is embarrassing.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblet View Post
    O.o' Well, this is embarrassing.
    How? I would LOVE to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I think you have FFII confused with FFX. FFII involves lead playable characters Firion, Maria, Guy and Leon. There are five other characters that will come and go in your party, too. The central villain in the story is, if I recall correctly, the Emperor of Palamecia. The game begins in the middle of a war, or something like that.
    OH I see they're not in this one. Yeh you can tell I know nothing about FF :P Thank you!
    Last edited by Loony BoB; 10-09-2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Please remember to edit your last post instead of posting twice in a row. :)

If you have not played Final Fantasy yet, you should start right away. You are missing out the fun!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

OH I see they're not in this one. Yeh you can tell I know nothing about FF :P Thank you!
    Which Final Fantasy games have you played? =o

Which Final Fantasy games have you played? =o
    None.. haha

This was one FF that I never completed out of shere boredom. I should probably go nd finish it now that I have no more that I haven't finished. I didn't like how you kept getting characters in your party that just died after a while. There is a 'Rebirth' section after the game that focuses on all the people that have died, but I got bored with it and stopped. Blasphemy I know. But I am going to go pick it up right now!! And finish the darn thing. And yes, you should go and ply a Final Fantasy game immediatly.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I think it's worth pointing out to someone who has never played a Final Fantasy game before that the games are not all a part of one continuous story. For example, you don't have to start with 1 and play all the way through to 14 in numerical order. The stories of the games are completely unrelated, except for the sequels and prequels, which will still have the title of the original game with them. (For example Final Fantasy X-2, Crisis Core Final Fantasy 7)

As for the story of this game? I've recently made a thread with a link to a song about Final Fantasy 2. The lyrics describe the story of the game, so check it out if you don't mind spoilers

FINAL FANTASY II (with PelleK) - YouTube