Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The least important game in the series?

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The least "important" is FF2j; Practically nothing about it made it into subsequent games.
    It also sucked by FF standards.

FF5 rocks.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblet View Post
    What a stupid question. Every game is important to the series, but I would have to say FF II, the leveling system of that game was dropped immediately and was never seen again.
    Untrue, it lives on in the early Romancing Saga games (FF Legends) and one could argue that FFXIV's leveling system is descended from it, not to mention FFXI borrowed aspects of it for Weapon leveling. So it still lives on in the series. Even the Esper and the Junction systems lived on as leveling systems in other games (BoFIII-IV and Wild ARMS 3).

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post
    The least "important" is FF2j; Practically nothing about it made it into subsequent games.
    It also sucked by FF standards.

FF5 rocks.
    Well... except Ultima, Mysidia, Dragoons, Dark Knights, Chocobos, Bombs, Malboro, Behemoths, Blood Swords, Leviathan, and that FFXII actually emulates a good chunk of it's plot. In terms of Impact, FFII is probably the most underrated because it's hated.

*************************************************************************************
    As for FFV's legacy in the franchise, it's largely gameplay. The modern ATB system appreciated by fans of FFVI-IX was perfected in FFV, because the original FFIV's version didn't have things like the ATB Bar, and magic and skills had casting times, whereas FFV just made everything insta-cast and introduced the ATB bar so you could know what order turns would appear in. It pretty much streamlined the series core battle system.

The Job class may have only appeared in spin-offs, sequels and the MMO titles, but if you really take a careful look at the Esper/Relic system of VI, Materia System from VII, and Junction from FFVIII, as well as Sphere Grid and the License Board, you'll notice they are all basically variations of the Job System that all allow the player to create the type of job roles they want in the game. Basically FF's been trying to create something to surpass the Job System but most of them are just variations of it where it's broken down into individual skills and spells as opposed to strict statistical classes. It's also the most balanced system compared to it's future variations.

Hell, one of the reason's VI's cast is so huge is because most of the cast represent a class introduced in FFV. There is also the persistence of the Mime, Samurai, and Blue Mage classes that pretty much became standard abilities/classes in later installments.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblet View Post
    What a stupid question. Every game is important to the series, but I would have to say FF II, the leveling system of that game was dropped immediately and was never seen again.
    Untrue, it lives on in the early Romancing Saga games (FF Legends) and one could argue that FFXIV's leveling system is descended from it, not to mention FFXI borrowed aspects of it for Weapon leveling. So it still lives on in the series. Even the Esper and the Junction systems lived on as leveling systems in other games (BoFIII-IV and Wild ARMS 3).
    Hmm, never played those games. But since I have played only FFs I-IX, my statement is half-true.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Um, it practically popularised the Chocobo, as well starting the whole "De Chocobo" song theme, starting with Mambo De Chocobo.

And yes, Gilgamesh began here. Battle on the Big Bridge anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Um, it practically popularised the Chocobo, as well starting the whole "De Chocobo" song theme, starting with Mambo De Chocobo.

And yes, Gilgamesh began here. Battle on the Big Bridge anyone?
    All of this.

Plus, the Job system is pretty freaking awesome...I mean seriously! I ended up subbing DNC quite a bit and it worked out wonderfully. The job system is what got me seriously hooked on playing it.

The storyline though...yeah, not so much.
    I only want your happiness...even if I may never be yours to share it.

Yea the job system is one of the more famous battle systems, even though it started in FF3. You can't really say "least important" about any of them. You have to explain what you mean, and it sounds like you mean least known/played. That probably goes to II or III, at least outside of Japan. III especially since it didn't come out until the DS and the only version before that was NES. Inside Japan I'm not sure but it wouldn't be FF3 b/c it's a favorite over there.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

If I had to choose a least important game to the development of the series through SS, I'd say 3.
    1 was the beginning
    2 provided many constant themes, weapons, magics, and enemies, as well as the first true story in ff.
    4 was the beginning of ATB, more advanced stories, character deaths (sort of) and the "temporary" party member.
    5 featured battle perfection and a funny story. The battle system of 5 was the inspiration for the battle system in 7, with the jobs being replaced with materia for literally infinite jobs. Also Gilgamesh
    6 the first switchable party system, the most complex and lore filled ff at that point. Brought back semi-static equipment. Ultros. First use of an equipable summon system. Inspired by 5, the battle system was a small step in the evolution to 7.
    7 gameplay and story pacing perfection. Introduced Zack Fair. CGI. 3D.
    8 back to the 6 equipment system. First non cartoony looking game. First (and only till KH use of item fusion) Deep story, lots of lore. Also it had gunblades.
    9 Funny and playful, the learning system was halfway between 7 and 6. Best visuals so far. more sidequests, more after game areas, first time races mixed in ff.
    10 huge visual leap. Terrible mini-games. First linear ff. Awesome summons. First truly annoying protagonist in FF. Led to the dead end evolution that is Vaan.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

You'd discount the origin of the switchable job system? 3's contributions to the series are far more important than anything offered by 6, which was basically 4 with switchable characters. The concept of equipable summons lasted another two iterations before being scrapped (and was even introduced in 3, if you're counting the fact that all magic could be equipped and then unequipped).

If you want to find the least important, you're definitely looking at 6.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WildRaubtier View Post
    You'd discount the origin of the switchable job system? 3's contributions to the series are far more important than anything offered by 6, which was basically 4 with switchable characters. The concept of equipable summons lasted another two iterations before being scrapped (and was even introduced in 3, if you're counting the fact that all magic could be equipped and then unequipped).

If you want to find the least important, you're definitely looking at 6.
    Honestly, I was struggling to think of things for 6. But I never finished 3 so that really wasn't fair.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Actually in terms of mechanics FF6 didn't do anything revolutionary but I think it was a major turning point in the series. Up until then the games had relied upon a fairly standard high fantasy kings and castles base for their worlds. FF6 still had it's toe in that pool, but you can see a clear divide in world design (characters/lore/etc...) from pre-FF6 to post-FF6.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

A toe in the pool? The only difference between 1 and 6's high fantasy settings is that 6 is human[-esper hybrid]s only.

FF5 awesome people just don't like it because Bartz doesn't wield a big long sword and ExDeath doesn't have a Latin chorus song whenever he appears so it "suxs "

Blog Entries

Never played this one. Least important? Though the responses to the thread seem to suggest otherwise.

I've heard how it's the pinnacle of the Job System. Is that a good battle system to have then? An example of a system I don't like is the "use it or lose it" skill system of FF2j, is this better?

This is the one with the crystals right? Well they all had them of course, especially FF1 as "orbs", but I recall this being known as "the crystal one".

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

To be clear least important =/= worst of the series.

A toe in the pool? The only difference between 1 and 6's high fantasy settings is that 6 is human[-esper hybrid]s only.
    I disagree. In FF6 we see the move away from a stereotypical fantasy setting into something more steam punk/industrial revolution. It didn't go all the way, but it's successor FF7 did. After that aside from the FF9 throwback the stereotypical 'medieval' setting was no longer a FF mainstay.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    To be clear least important =/= worst of the series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.